WBMT.....What baffled me today

Sensible answers only, please :D but I expect that plea will have fallen on deaf ears...I'm thinking of one particular member..lol.

This one is for anyone fortunate enough to own a horse or horses. The horse in question looked identical to this one and from the same stables.

There are a lot of horses in the surrounding fields. I could easily have posted this is WCMUT because it was a enjoyable experience and I really like horses anyway but it baffled me...hence WBMT.

My wife and I went across fields via three stiles on a public footpath and in one field were three horses which, gave us a casual look and carried on munching grass. We were going to see if there was any wildfowl to photograph on any of the three reservoirs there. There were many horses in the surrounding fields. On our way back to the car we approached the second of the three stiles we had climbed over and the same three horses were now close to it. 25m away. As we got to the stile, inbetween a gap in the hedgerow, the chestnut brown one, largest of the three, came to us so I gave it a pat and had a word or two with it..as one does :) It even nuzzled its nose into my face. My wife got over the stile and the horse moved forward stopping me getting over. Its head was over the stile but I could have managed to get over in the small space to the right of the horse but as I did so it very gently and slowly moved its head to its right to bar my way. Then it ate some long grass growing at the base of the stile. I 'asked' it to move,several times but to no avail. I walked away 10m hoping it would walk away but no, it stood there. This went on for ten minutes with the other two older horses behind it watching. Eventually, I thought I might be able to walk along the hedge to a nearby gate, open that and go through but there was a hedge between that field and the one my wife was now in. Fortunately, a stable girl was walking towards the gate with a horse in tow and another behind it so I told her that the horse wouldn't let me get over the stile. She said it would go in a minute or two. I told her it had been there for 10 minutes. So..she came through the gate and went to it still holding the halter of the one she was leading and the second one walking behind and she tried to cajole the chestnut one to move. It wouldn't budge. She then had to take the two she had with her 15-20m away,told them to stay there and went to the chestnut and it took her some persuasion to get this chestnut one away from the stile. At that point I got over, thanked her and we went on our way.

Whatever was this horse up to ? Absolutely no aggression, very passive ..a gentle giant but it wasn't going to allow me to get over the stile. I know they will sometimes walk to people at the perimeter of their field,for whatever reason,I don't know..maybe they like people or hope for some food but to do what this horse did seemed unusual to me.

From Mrs Marc

Ok so I can only go on what you have said and without actually seeing a video or meeting the horse my interpretation of the situation could be one of a number :
a) the horse was a youngster and as such hadn't really been trained to back up or move over when asked - shown by the way in which he took some cajoling by the stable girl
b) The horse's field mate may have been taken out of the field and they where 'waiting' for their return so not going to move from that spot
c) You should have food on you - everyone carries food if the horse stays in that spot they may get a carrot ( N.B it is not advisable to feed other peoples horses without actually asking the owners first - despite what the horses may tell you)
d) The horse realised that you didn't have a clue on how to ask it to move - and why should it that bit of grass was especially tasty - so you wouldn't get it to move in a month of Sundays !
e) The horse may have been a mare (yep have you tried to tell a female what to do) and it sounds as though it could be a lead mare hence why the other two where watching her.

Sorry not much help as it could have been a number of reasons - I could ask why my horse is always down the very far end of the field when I am in a hurry but no one has an answer - that my dear is horses for you :)

From Mrs Marc

Appreciate the comprehensive reply. Thanks. I'll try to answer each point.

(a).Yes, it looked young to me, just like the one in the link,infact it looked like the one in the link but the owner would see differences I couldn't if it wasn't.

(b) Definitely not this one. When we walked across that field on the way to the reservoirs the same three were in it as when we returned. Also, in the field I was trying to get into there were no horses but it was about 25m..if that..from the stile along with the other two as we approached and only then did it come to us.

(c). We didn't know there were horses in the fields,haven't been there for ages. Sounds funny but birders/wildfowl watchers/photogrpahers do go there and it was possible to drive to the reservoirs the last time we went but now the road is private all the way through from the main road..just a narrow 'B' road. Lovely quiet area to live in I have to say but out of our price range. Back then it was possible to to drive over the first the reservoir bridge. The house there, 400 years old, is now owned by the daughter of the elderly lady (who has since died) who came to us on our last visit... and everyone else who ventured/dared (lol) to park by the water.. and told us to move. I had heard about her..lol. and was warned that she'd see the car pass the house and would eventually arrive. As for taking the likes of carrots (had we known of the presence of the horses) as you mention,Marc..I wouldn't give food to someone else's animal especially a horse.

(d) Lol..Yes,I defintely got that impression..:LOL: There was very little grass there because of people treading on the ground but those few blades, about 6" long were right under the stile so not trodden on. Infact,what was funny was that after it had been there for several minutes it was like.."oh, some nice grass there, I didn't see that, I may as well eat it while I'm here, it looks juicy " which it did.Lol.

(c) A mare ?. Dunno. I didn't think about that. I did tell a female what to do..just once..never again :LOL:

Ah, so you have a horse. I do recall seeing a photo of a horse on here but quite a long time ago so I couldn't recall whose it was. I think it was white-ish.

Anway, as I mentioned, it was a very nice experience. I've never had a horse try to lick my face..:)

Ah, so you have a horse. I do recall seeing a photo of a horse on here but quite a long time ago so I couldn't recall whose it was. I think it was white-ish.

Her horse is definitely not whitish. ;)

DSCF0182-Edit.jpg

Her horse is definitely not whitish. ;)

View attachment 294309

No..it's not is it..lol. It was a long time ago.. :) A little voice told me not to add that but I failed to listen to it.

Having said that, the photo I recall was taken in a garden I think..or back yard. You'll know what they say when you're in a hole .stop digging :LOL:

(Last night)
Saw one of those electric scooters on the road ahead of me; no lights.
Then his front wheel went into a pothole, and he went arse over tip and landed in a heap with the scooter on top of him.
I hear they're planning to legalize these things... :rolleyes:

Shouldn't that be in 'What Cheered Me Up Today"? ;)
Not really. If he'd been closer, I could easily have run over him, and damaged the car. Also, I wouldn't want the Li-ion battery exploding under there near the fuel tank. Burning 1.gif

Ordered something on Amazon last friday evening, delivery date friday 16th, unless I wanted to pay
for an earlier date, not urgent so not thanks
Last night the entry bell rang about 8.30 pm,
Amazon delivery they said, ok I'll unlock the door, leave it on the stairs, my neighbour orders loads
Went down to get it and it was my order :rolleyes:

Ordered something on Amazon last friday evening, delivery date friday 16th, unless I wanted to pay
for an earlier date, not urgent so not thanks
Last night the entry bell rang about 8.30 pm,
Amazon delivery they said, ok I'll unlock the door, leave it on the stairs, my neighbour orders loads
Went down to get it and it was my order :rolleyes:

It happens. I ordered a book through AbeBooks a couple of weeks ago. The seller offered next day delivery for a fee, or free delivery in about a week. I chose free delivery and it arrived the following afternoon...:)

Just finished watching the England v Wales friendy. At one point the commentator,Sam Matterface said of a Wales full back or centre -back.."Highly intelligent, he can take instructions" :rolleyes:

In another game a couple of weeks ago the commentator said that the striker, who had scored the goal had 'fish & chipped the defender"

Another I heard from a summariser not the commentator, in a recent game..it's usually the summarisers that come out with these gems and also poor grammar. I heard one say "He should have went on the inside of him" and.."He's excellent when he has the ball at his feet"

Just finished watching the England v Wales friendy. At one point the commentator,Sam Matterface said of a Wales full back or centre -back.."Highly intelligent, he can take instructions" :rolleyes:

In another game a couple of weeks ago the commentator said that the striker, who had scored the goal had 'fish & chipped the defender"

Another I heard from a summariser not the commentator, in a recent game..it's usually the summarisers that come out with these gems and also poor grammar. I heard one say "He should have went on the inside of him" and.."He's excellent when he has the ball at his feet"
I don't think you'd appreciate the football commentary in Scotland then... What exactly is a 'Stoater'? :thinking: :giggle:

Last edited:
2 yes 2 Christmas orientated ads on the TV last night!
WTF?

One was Studio cards I can't remember the other, I mentally switched off as soon as I saw the snow!

2 yes 2 Christmas orientated ads on the TV last night!
WTF?

One was Studio cards I can't remember the other, I mentally switched off as soon as I saw the snow!
I think someone needs to remind advertisers that there are only 12 days of Christmas... and none of them are in September, October or November!

I think someone needs to remind advertisers that there are only 12 days of Christmas... and none of them are in September, October or November!
They get earlier every year, last year it was AFTER Halloween :(

Well, I suppose they've got to make sure they've got enough time for their Easter egg adverts in November!
I'd laugh except you are probably right on that :(

In fact when I was in Tesco today they had a small amount of "Christmas fayre" for sale.

Not only that they had eggs flour and lemon juice!
FFS pancake day isn't for about 5 months :(

Shop early for Christmas they say... I tried that; last year I went a full 12 months earlier than I normally do and the bloody shops were still just as busy! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jogger at 6:00 am this morning dressed head to foot in black, running in the road in the dark, when there is a perfectly good empty pavement on either side of the road.

Jogger at 6:00 am this morning dressed head to foot in black, running in the road in the dark, when there is a perfectly good empty pavement on either side of the road.

Probably related to idiots in black lycra that cycle along shaded narrow lanes at high speed

WBMT?

1) I left my green garden waste wheelie bin out today for emptying,
When I got home there was no sign of it, either in this post code or the next.
despite the fact that it its clearly labeled with my house number on 4 sides and the top.
This is the second time this has happened in about 3 years.
I never received a ransom demand for the last one, so it was replaced by the local authority,
There'll start thinking I'm selling them on line when I apply for another one.

2) I ordered some plants on line recently ( 6 days ago)
I then get several emails a couple of days apart
a) We have received your order
b) Just to let you know your order has been passed to the nursery team
c) just to let you know your order has been passed to the picking team
who will make sure you get the best plants available ...

And of course the usual disclaimer :-
Normal shipping time is 3-5 days.
However due to the virus it may take up to 10 days.
Once in the hands of our courier, we have no control as they are extremely busy due to the virus ..
What a load of b****x!

FFS its 50 quids worth of Lavender! not some exotic plants from the Amazon jungle that they have to go and fetch!
Shan't be using this lot again!
Gardening Express ... rather an ironic name I thought !

I ordered some wild bird seed, according to the website it was in stock & next day delivery was free for orders over ÂŁ25 (which it was). 2 working days later I chased the order up, to be told it would be dispatched the next day, with 3-5 days delivery. My next day delivery took 6 days :mad:

1) I left my green garden waste wheelie bin out today for emptying,
When I got home there was no sign of it, either in this post code or the next.
despite the fact that it its clearly labeled with my house number on 4 sides and the top.
This is the second time this has happened in about 3 years.
I never received a ransom demand for the last one, so it was replaced by the local authority,
There'll start thinking I'm selling them on line when I apply for another one.

Our blue cardboard bin did a disappearing act a couple of weeks ago, I was in at the time and watched them pull it to the back of the lorry, so went to put some shoes on to bring it in... Was gone, nowhere to be seen on the street....

Council delivered us a lovely new double sized 2020 commemorative bin as a replacement (its got 2020 on the lid in shimmery letters)

My next day delivery took 6 days :mad:
Annoying as hell eh? :(
and just like Diana Ross, I'm still waiting :(

Council delivered us a lovely new double sized 2020 commemorative bin as a replacement (its got 2020 on the lid in shimmery letters)
Result (y)
Unfortunately our green bins are being replace with ones that are a good 1/3 smaller than the ones that were originally supplied.
But good news, an "opposite neighbour" returned from the shops dragging my bin.
It seems it was actually 2 post codes away, It was having a little meeting with a few others on the corner of the road :rolleyes:

As above its "rubbish day" today, black bags for household waste, clear bags for recyclables.
I just heard a bit of a bang, looked out and some twatt has just run over a recyclables bag containing what looks like a load of leaflets ( someones in trouble ;) ) I guess driving around it was out of the question.

I can only assume the bag was blown into the road buy the wind.
There is litter everywhere :( And I bet that it doesn't get picked up by the recyclables lorry either.

BTW they are late today, had they collected on time that would never have happened!

Our couriers at work have been facing Xmas levels of work almost continually since March. We have also had a number of occasions where the daily collection has been bought forward by several hours as drivers have gone into self isolation and the depot are scrambling to cover their round and provide some sort of service. Often the first we know of it is a driver pitching Up and saying I have 10 minutes to take what is ready and I am off again.

Generally we are either seeing parcels arrive when they should or go very very wrong and take days to resolve even simple issues as they have fewer central customer service staff in the call centres, and then reduced numbers in the depots to process the requests thanks to “Covid-secure” working methods.

(And no we don’t use Hermes, yodel etc for our own work....)

Our blue cardboard bin did a disappearing act a couple of weeks ago, I was in at the time and watched them pull it to the back of the lorry, so went to put some shoes on to bring it in... Was gone, nowhere to be seen on the street....

DSC_0194.JPG

I have been having problems with 'false' alarms from a vehicle alarm in a motorhome . The alarm has been triggered several times in early evening during the last week or so.

As well as all the usual wired bonnet/door/ultrasonic sensors it has a couple of battery powered wireless 'reed' contact switches for external lockers.

I have discovered today that the CR2032 button batteries tell 'lies' when tested with a voltmeter unless they are measured under load. They are nominally 3.0V batteries & still report 3.0V sticking a test meter over them if they are not under load, under load they drop to 2.0V or less which is too low for the switch electronics.

New batteries have been installed so hopefully peace & tranquillity will be restored.

I have discovered today that the CR2032 button batteries tell 'lies' when tested with a voltmeter unless they are measured under load. They are nominally 3.0V batteries & still report 3.0V sticking a test meter over them if they are not under load, under load they drop to 2.0V or less which is too low for the switch electronics.

This is the same for testing any battery - to get a true Potential Difference (voltage) reading it must be under load.

I have been having problems with 'false' alarms from a vehicle alarm in a motorhome .
I can go one better than that,
Thankfully the guy has moved, about a year ago now. (he lived opposite me)
His house alarm would go off at random times of the day and night.
Quite frankly it was a real PITA.
Everyone local used to moan about it :(

The best part was he was an alarm engineer with ADT.
Its not go off since he moved out. I guess the new owners got a "proper man" in (y)

:D

Its not go off since he moved out. I guess the new owners got a "proper man" in (y)

My late father always said "nothing rattles worse than a fitters bike...."

Instagram - someone who has an open account on IG seems to have blocked me. Odd, given that I can just log in from either my second account or from a browser without logging in and see their posts. Like why? I'd understand if they had a private account or something. But no. Just me. Don't really care as it's not someone I interact with anyway.

One of our neighbours own an alarm company and his house alarm has been known to go off for no reason while they've been on holiday. Some years back, I called his mobile while it was going and asked him what we could do - "It'll stop in a bit." was his reply. Sure enough it did but went off again soon after so I called the old bill. And the next time. And the next. He doesn't set the alarm now.

Darwin's theory appears to be alive and well in Yorkshire. I mean, what could possibly go wrong here?
All those pictures of the culprits with their faces obscured. Or are they just people with blobby heads? :naughty:

Back