WBMT.....What baffled me today

They have just finished, after almost 2.5 years widening the last 3 Km from single carriageway to dual carriageway, to the M1.
At a cost of 30 Million££

All they need to do now is run a steam roller along it, its very "lumpy bumpy" with a few odd cambers on the very slight bends, so slight that a positive camber was not required.

WBMT?
Why didn't they flatten it before it was fully opened ?
Perhaps they are expecting the estimated 30,000 vehicle that use the road per day to do it for them?

They have just finished, after almost 2.5 years widening the last 3 Km from single carriageway to dual carriageway, to the M1.
At a cost of 30 Million££

All they need to do now is run a steam roller along it, its very "lumpy bumpy" with a few odd cambers on the very slight bends, so slight that a positive camber was not required.

WBMT?
Why didn't they flatten it before it was fully opened ?
Perhaps they are expecting the estimated 30,000 vehicle that use the road per day to do it for them?

Me too, I wonder how come out motorways can have irregularities in their surfacing finishes. Especially as I recall the first time I drove in France and they were (still are... based on last year's visit) so smooth and comfortable to drive on! Yes, their N roads can be a mixed bag by comparison :LOL:

Last edited:
I drove in France and they were (still are... based on last year's visit) so smooth and comfortable to drive on!
Ah France, yes the roads out there are either as smooth as a babies bum or "interesting" :D

Years ago,in France, I pulled out of a junction and got on the 'wrong side' of the road and just about got out of the way of a milk tanker ....I'll remember it forever... bearing down on us with horn blasting. From 2012-2016 40% of accidents caused by British drivers in France were as a result of driving on the left side of the road. The age group responsible for 50% of them were the 24-34 year olds.

Years ago,in France, I pulled out of a junction and got on the 'wrong side' of the road and just about got out of the way of a milk tanker ....I'll remember it forever... bearing down on us with horn blasting. From 2012-2016 40% of accidents caused by British drivers in France were as a result of driving on the left side of the road. The age group responsible for 50% of them were the 24-34 year olds.

Good old post-it note on the steering wheel until you are AOK with which side is the right side to drive on ;)

That's because in this country most people found driving on the wrong side of the road are the older generation. If they go to France, they'll be driving on the correct side of the road. ;)

Good old post-it note on the steering wheel until you are AOK with which side is the right side to drive on ;)

I should have known better as I lived in Germany for three years. I think it must have been because the road we came out of was a narrow private road so I wasn't on any side. Actually, I think my wife was distracting me ...maybe about what to get at the supermarket.Yes, that was it.....:D

Half-time Ajax v Liverpool..0-1 own goal.

That's because in this country most people found driving on the wrong side of the road are the older generation. If they go to France, they'll be driving on the correct side of the road. ;)

Lol. I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll tell you what is bad with old folk and it’s not an uncommon incident. Mounting a pavement and sadly, all too often, killing someone because they’ve pressed the accelerator instead of the brake in an automatic. I assume they have automatics due to hip problems. The worst incident like that in my area was when an elderly lady in her 80’s crashed into a bakers shop on a Saturday morning and killed a pregnant lady who was inside.

This car has been in the same spot in the car park at work for several weeks. A couple of days ago I noticed it was resting on a couple of bricks, with all wheels on the ground, today I notice there is also a couple of bricks under the drivers side too as well as a squashed bit of yellow plastic.20201022_135404.jpg

Reactions: Nod
Somebody checking to see whether or not it's ever moved?
Possibly with a view to making it disappear if they think it's dumped?

@nilagin

I would have thought the site security would be "all over it" by now (including checking its tax & MoT status), especially as @Tori_T Tori says it could be someone who 'dumped' it are getting ready to strip it???

Last edited:
it could be someone who 'dumped' it are getting ready to strip it???
They just left it there to show them what a proper car looks like (y)

:D

Perhaps that was cheaper than getting the handbrake fixed? You know how pricey the parts can be on these foreign cars! ;)

The factory are going to look to see what proper performance brakes look like...

We've been watching The Accident (A channel 4 drama) on our Sky Q box. We've watched the first 3 and were just sitting down to watch the 4th and final episode when the box told me that I needed to upgrade my subscription to watch it.

I tried downloading it from Sky Go on my mac and it said "download success". Back downstairs and there it is. S elected it and got the same message telling me I had to upgrade my subscription.

Yet it plays fine through Sky Go on my mac. :thinking:

Somebody checking to see whether or not it's ever moved?
Possibly with a view to making it disappear if they think it's dumped?
Any vehicles left parked up for long periods of time get a sticker pasted to the drivers door window advising the vehicle would get towed if not moved. Security also send out emails when cars are obviously being stored at work. The passenger side definitely looks as though the sill is sitting on the bricks.

@nilagin

I would have thought the site security would be "all over it" by now (including checking its tax & MoT status), especially as @Tori_T Tori says it could be someone who 'dumped' it are getting ready to strip it???
A security guard walked past it as I was getting out of my car, he looked at the drivers side, mystified, then saw the passenger side and had to walk back and look at the drivers side again. Neither of us could work out why the bricks are there. As the car is parked on an incline, I wouldn't chance jacking it up, if that was someones intention. To get to the car park, the car would have to drive in past the security gatehouse. Plus there is roughly 3000 parking spaces on site spread over 9 car parks, if someone intended to dump a car and strip it, parking it in one of only 4 car parks being used and practically outside the main building, probably isn't the greatest idea.

I was actually wondering if the person testing attendance on the car is someone different to the person who left it there, with the tester maybe looking to take it away if no one seems interested in what they've done.
If that's the case, nicking the bricks may discourage them from nicking the car.

I was actually wondering if the person testing attendance on the car is someone different to the person who left it there, with the tester maybe looking to take it away if no one seems interested in what they've done.
If that's the case, nicking the bricks may discourage them from nicking the car.
Not sure why anyone would want to nick a non descript old Mercedes estate. Especially with all the newer and much more valuable cars, favourite of car thieves, in the car parks.

If it's a works carpark then has anyone asked whether the owner has permission to leave it there.
Perhaps it's broken down and they are waiting for it to be picked up.

It's quite easy to check on the gov site to see if it's all road legal

If it's a works carpark then has anyone asked whether the owner has permission to leave it there.
Perhaps it's broken down and they are waiting for it to be picked up.

The bricks just don't make any sense. They aren't close enough to the wheels to prevent it from moving if the hand brake doesn't work. It is parked on an incline, not ideal if someone plans on jacking the car up. Being a vehicle testing and researching facility, we have two vehicle tow trucks and more than enough mechanics, some with their own garage businesses to help out if someone needs it.
The only people who get permission to leave vehicles at work are engineers who have the use of test vehicles and need to take that vehicle home or are working abroad. As all foreign travel on company business was banned back in March and hasn't been reinstated, that won't be the reason for the car being parked there for several weeks at least.

We've been watching The Accident (A channel 4 drama) on our Sky Q box. We've watched the first 3 and were just sitting down to watch the 4th and final episode when the box told me that I needed to upgrade my subscription to watch it.

I tried downloading it from Sky Go on my mac and it said "download success". Back downstairs and there it is. S elected it and got the same message telling me I had to upgrade my subscription.

Yet it plays fine through Sky Go on my mac. :thinking:

Have you tried changing the download format from HD to SD? We get the message a lot and just change the format on the right of the episode we want to download

Have you tried changing the download format from HD to SD? We get the message a lot and just change the format on the right of the episode we want to download

Have always downloaded in HD. without issue and check to confirm that we have the HD pack.

Anyway, I posted this on the Sky Community forum last night. Turns out that the 1st three episodes were on catch up but the 4th hadn't aired yet (despite the whole series airing last year). The 4th episode aired at 1.15 this morning and I was able to download it from the Sky Go app a little while ago so will watch it whilst we're having lunch.

The factory are going to look to see what proper performance brakes look like...
Maybe other car manufacturers do their vehicle takedowns in a car park, but we have a whole workshop with lifts, ramps, axle stands. I don't think 4 house bricks are part of the tools required.

Have always downloaded in HD. without issue and check to confirm that we have the HD pack.

Anyway, I posted this on the Sky Community forum last night. Turns out that the 1st three episodes were on catch up but the 4th hadn't aired yet (despite the whole series airing last year). The 4th episode aired at 1.15 this morning and I was able to download it from the Sky Go app a little while ago so will watch it whilst we're having lunch.

Winning

Not currently road legal, MOT ran out a month ago and currently SORN.

Hmmmm! so on private company car park not a home address........is it adding up to abandoned? Has security considered reporting it to the Police in case it is a stolen car, or otherwise not 'kosher'.

Either way if it turns out to be an employee who left there, it seems odd......and maybe against company regulations!

When did you say you thought it had been left i.e. was it being driven after SORN and expired Most?

I would have thought the security guard would be checking on it, or perhaps
it is there for a reason and he knows why

Hmmmm! so on private company car park not a home address........is it adding up to abandoned? Has security considered reporting it to the Police in case it is a stolen car, or otherwise not 'kosher'.

Either way if it turns out to be an employee who left there, it seems odd......and maybe against company regulations!

When did you say you thought it had been left i.e. was it being driven after SORN and expired Most?
Tax status just says SORN, it doesn't say when it was last taxed. MOT ran out on 22nd September. I reckon it has been parked there since at least then. I was parking in a different car park previous to that, so I don't know if the car was there prior to that.

I would have thought the security guard would be checking on it, or perhaps
it is there for a reason and he knows why
Security normally drive around the car parks throughout the day. Yesterday was the first time I had seen one walking around the car park and he was just as surprised and baffled by the bricks. If site security were aware of why the car had been left there, I would have thought they would have informed all the other security guards.

It might belong to one of the security persons.

We had building work going in the neighbouring business last year and a vehicle was left on the edge of our units forecourt. We thought nothing of it initially, as next doors contractors had been parking vans there, until we got our heads together and realised it had been there for around 3 weeks.
Called the estates security office who came and took a look at and then called the police out of curiosity.
Got a traffic cop outside within 20 minutes and tow truck within the hour as it had been involved in a high speed pursuit through oxford city centre, but escaped and then abandoned in the one area our cctv didn’t cover....

Where I used to work, we had a secure company carpark. After an audit of the carpark (250+ spaces) a car was found that was so full to the point it could not be driven. The registration then showed this belonged to an employee who had transferred back to our office in India 8 months previously. He had put the entire contents of his house into the car to avoid paying storage....

Another car related WBMT.
A VW Golf this time. Were VW a bit lazy when they did a facelift or brought out a new model (the basic shell didn't look as though it had changed in years, or has someone fitted the wrong doors and hoped no one would notice.
20201024_092633.jpg

A "local" Taco Bell opened this week, this is a report from my local hub...
WTF?

<Friday> We thought we would see if the hype of Taco Bell had relaxed and we can confirm at 00:20am, there is a queue right around the Burger King drive thru and a good 40 minute wait.

Another car related WBMT.
A VW Golf this time. Were VW a bit lazy when they did a facelift or brought out a new model (the basic shell didn't look as though it had changed in years, or has someone fitted the wrong doors and hoped no one would notice.
View attachment 296451
Turns out to be a lazy VW facelift. Just seen another one exactly the same.

A "local" Taco Bell opened this week, this is a report from my local hub...
WTF?

<Friday> We thought we would see if the hype of Taco Bell had relaxed and we can confirm at 00:20am, there is a queue right around the Burger King drive thru and a good 40 minute wait.
Know what you mean why would anyone queue for 40 minutes to get a fast food !

Back