WBMT.....What baffled me today

That's a bit harsh,Brian :D

I'm usually summoned by my wife when a Tegenaria domesctica..ok..a house spider...appears so,like TT I catch it in a jar/tumbler and relocate it in the garage as they are 'indoor' species...domesctica ? :)
The Dyson is reserved for those spiders that persist in climbing out of range of the jam jar........

why do they put zebra crossings / traffic lights on the edge of roundabouts! you get huge tailbacks here at certain times of the day blocking the roundabouts completely.

That reminds me /\

Phone zombie. A single carriageway opens out to a dual carriageway, on the approaches to a weird set of roundabouts.
less that a hundred yards back is a pelican crossing.

2 people crossed as I got there, the first ran across, the zombie stepped out in front of me.
with his head down, texting.

The traffic was on green light. I hit the hooter while stamping on the middle peddle.
The zombie never looked up or re-acted in anyway to the hooter !!

That's why they're called zombies. Zombie.gif
Once saw one fall down a flight of stairs they hadn't noticed.

This post is in exactly the right thread and this is why I'm not a scientist. I have no idea what it's about, despite the explanation re the physics/math

Scientists have made a small boat float upside down using vibrations to produce an apparent anti-gravity effect.. The unexpected discovery came when French scientists were exploring an already understood phenomenon in which a layer of denser liquid can be made to levitate on a cushion of air. Using vertical vibrations it is possible to prevent heavier liquid from flipping position with the air. The vibrations stop it collapsing and so maintain an otherwise unstable arrangement.

When the team in Paris (Institut Langevin) floated little boats on the layer of liquid they found that this was not the only way that the vibrations made the fluid dynamics topsy-turvy. The boats floated in both directions.

A full mathematical explanation has not been worked out but the scientists believe that the principals are similar to what happens when things float the right way up. The explanation of that left me bewildered and appreciating just how intelligent these people are...or rather how 'not that intelligent' many of us are despite believing to the contrary :D

Good luck....:)

Quote: "A ship is pulled down by gravity and pushed up by the pressure gradient in the water it displaces. A ship on the underside of a levitating film of water is also pulled down by gravity as well as pushed down by the water but opposing this, it is pushed upwards by the air pressure of the squeezed layer of air. The 'deeper' this pushes it into the upside-down water, the lower the water pressure until the forces balance and the boat 'floats ' " :eek:o_O

I'll just keep wearing a lifejacket...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
why do they put zebra crossings / traffic lights on the edge of roundabouts! you get huge tailbacks here at certain times of the day blocking the roundabouts completely.

I don't know..why do they ? :)

That's why they're called zombies. View attachment 291929
Once saw one fall down a flight of stairs they hadn't noticed.

The sign reads.....'will the next car be so well padded' The smaller message is 'Look out for yourself and not your mobile (Handy) Basically, look where you're going and not at your mobile phone.

It's just natural selection, eventually their offspring will be born without ears or eyes - if you don't use 'em, you lose 'em. Muppets! :mad:

I think we need the law changed to help protect us against these cretins. We need something like the American's have; Jaywalking.

It's just natural selection, eventually their offspring will be born without ears or eyes - if you don't use 'em, you lose 'em. Muppets! :mad:

I think we need the law changed to help protect us against these cretins. We need something like the American's have; Jaywalking.

Which law needs changing, Trevor ?

Not a law, the law.
Making jaywalking a crime....

Mmm. Hang on,Bob...

As you say...Trevor said..(in his last paragraph) "I think we need the law changed" etc. There is no law to change in the UK regarding crossing a road. There is, specifically for a motorway (a designated Special Road ) where it is an offence. You can't change something that doesn't exist. Pedestrians are free to cross where they want even if they choose not to walk a short distance to a crossing, as you know, of course. Crossing a road with regard to vehicles using the road is left to 'common sense', which, unfortunately, is anything but common as Cobra discovered through his driving experience (his post yesterday #1643)

So, as I say, A law that doesn't exist cannot be changed so a new law would have to be enacted and that law (here in the UK) may or may not be called jaywalking. It's a commonly-used term so I imagine it would be. What would have to be decided is the distance away from a crossing for it to be considered an offence not to use that crossing. In countries where there is such a law the distance from a crossing varies.I did a check. Ireland-50m..France-50m ... Italy- 100m The law varies greatly from country to country but in general, with regards to distance, it's 50m or 100m. In Finland it's 'nearby'. What's the definition of 'nearby' ? It's nebulous. In Beligium it's within 20m of a crossing if the speed limit is above 30km/h. In the Netherlands ,as here in the UK, there is no such law.

Another aspect of crossing the road is how it's done...ie the angle. I wonder at people who see a vehicle (s)coming towards them and decide to cross but do so at angle..ie in the direction they want to go on the other side. Whilst doing this the vehicle is getting ever closer and sometimes I see that they 'just about make it'. Crossing a road should be done at right angles..it's something I always do, infact, this is legislated for in some countries. I saw this when I was checking the pedestrian crossing distances. France (cross at right angles to the road axis) Germany..the 'shortest way' The same,really. Finland. 'In a perpendicular way and without undue delay'.

It was a good reminder for when we travel abroad next time..Covid allowing..that we check these crossing regulations.

Last edited:
Mmm. Hang on,Bob...

As you say...Trevor said..(in his last paragraph) "I think we need the law changed" etc. There is no law to change in the UK regarding crossing a road. There is, specifically for a motorway (a designated Special Road ) where it is an offence. You can't change something that doesn't exist. Pedestrians are free to cross where they want even if they choose not to walk a short distance to a crossing, as you know, of course. Crossing a road with regard to vehicles using the road is left to 'common sense', which, unfortunately, is anything but common as Cobra discovered through his driving experience (his post yesterday #1643)

So, as I say, A law that doesn't exist cannot be changed so a new law would have to be enacted and that law (here in the UK) may or may not be called jaywalking. It's a commonly-used term so I imagine it would be. What would have to be decided is the distance away from a crossing for it to be considered an offence not to use that crossing. In countries where there is such a law the distance from a crossing varies.I did a check. Ireland-50m..France-50m ... Italy- 100m The law varies greatly from country to country but in general, with regards to distance, it's 50m or 100m. In Finland it's 'nearby'. What's the definition of 'nearby' ? It's nebulous. In Beligium it's within 20m of a crossing if the speed limit is above 30km/h. In the Netherlands ,as here in the UK, there is no such law.

Another aspect of crossing the road is how it's done...ie the angle. I wonder at people who see a vehicle (s)coming towards them and decide to cross but do so at angle..ie in the direction they want to go on the other side. Whilst doing this the vehicle is getting ever closer and sometimes I see that they 'just about make it'. Crossing a road should be done at right angles..it's something I always do, infact, this is legislated for in some countries. I saw this when I was checking the pedestrian crossing distances. France (cross at right angles to the road axis) Germany..the 'shortest way' The same,really. Finland. 'In a perpendicular way and without undue delay'.

It was a good reminder for when we travel abroad next time..Covid allowing..that we check these crossing regulations.

Mmm. Hang on, John....
You know what he meant.
He made a remark on a photography forum ffs.
Stop being so pedantic :LOL:

You really do have too much time on your hands.

Last edited:
Which law needs changing, Trevor ?

Sorry, I should have said 'We need a new law'. I didn't realise that we have no law relating to this problem when I typed it, but subsequent research has shown this to be the case.

I think adopting something along similar lines to a lot of other countries would help cut down our road carnage. Apparently, a study in the US showed that texting while driving is causing more deaths among young people than drink-driving ever did. I imagine it's the same here in the UK and everywhere else. Don't get me started on the amount of people smoking cannabis while driving.

I'm no advocate of adding more rules and laws, but we've got to do something to protect people against their own stupidity. It would be different if it only affected them, but it doesn't - far too many innocents are suffering as a result of it.

Last edited:
Mmm. Hang on, John....
You know what he meant.
He made a remark on a photography forum ffs.
Stop being so pedantic :LOL:

You really do have too much time on your hands.

It's in 'me nature' Bob.....can't help me-self...:D Nothing to do with time on my hands. lol.

If you were to ask my wife she'd tell you that she has to listen to me criticising these errors that I hear on Tv , usually the news bulletins and from the reporters who should know better as you'd think the english language would be top of their list of qualifications. Sometimes, she recognises it herself but says nothing but I do and she says "I was just waiting for you to say something" Lol. I'll give you one of my favourites and it came from a BBC reporter in Baghdad,April 2003, just after the invasion. Bear with me. There was a city called Saddam City, a suburb of Baghdad. After the fall of the regime the city was renamed Sadr City after and in honour of, the Grand Ayatolla Mohammad Mohammad Sadeq al-Sadr (a Shia cleric) who Saddam had killed in 1999. He was gunned down in his car, along with two of his sons, after they left a mosque in the city of Najaf. In 2003 his 4th son, Muqtada al-Sadr, lead a militia,called the Mahdi Army, against the Coalition forces (in response to the US Administration there banning his newspaper) and Sunnis. Infact, in 2004 the US forces laid siege to Sadr City to destroy the power base of Moqtada al -Sadr and his Mahdi Army .Thought you'd like to know that:)

Standing amongst the ruins of what was Saddam City the reporter said something like.."I'm here in the ruins of what used to be called Saddam City but it's been rechristened Sadr City." Rechristened ???... in a muslim country ??. The mind boggles :rolleyes:

If you recall, I recently posted a short list of phrases in WAMT and others added a few more..'looking back in history' 'Reverse back'..etc.

Anyway, Trevor has acknowledged his error and 10/10, I say, for saying so.

Sorry, I should have said 'We need a new law'. I didn't realise that we have no law relating to this problem when I typed it, but subsequent research has shown this to be the case.

I think adopting something along similar lines to a lot of other countries would help cut down our road carnage. Apparently, a study in the US showed that texting while driving is causing more deaths among young people than drink-driving ever did. I imagine it's the same here in the UK and everywhere else. Don't get me started on the amount of people smoking cannabis while driving.

I'm no advocate of adding more rules and laws, but we've got to do something to protect people against their own stupidity. It would be different if it only affected them, but it doesn't - far too many innocents are suffering as a result of it.

Just been reprimanded by BYU :D. He's right,of course. I do have a tendency to be pedantic. It's a great way to make friends and influence people..:LOL:

Road safety is a passion of mine, too. The way traffic policing has been reduced because of cuts has cost lives. It needs police out there to see the late night drink/ drug - drivers (morning ones too after 'the night before indulgence) and those driving whilst using their mobiles. Four times more likely to be involved in a crash whilst on the mobile. Re texting..world wide.2019..1.6 million accidents.Six times more likely than when alcohol is involved. In 2017 in the UK using a mobile accounted for 33 deaths..I see it all the time, drivers on their mobiles. I'd reduce the alcohol in blood permitted level to the amount you'd find in a christmas pudding or a posh chocolate...to allow for that. Research shows that even small amounts of alcohol affect decision-making whilst driving. The reason it isn't..in most EU countries it's 50mg/100ml blood..is that the Drinks industry lobbyists have been successful and I heard that it was on the grounds that lowering the limit to 50 would destroy the rural trade. I'm all for mobile speed detection units too. I would like to see speed limits painted on the roads at reasonable distances apart. . You can travel miles and wonder if you're in a 50mph limit or a 60mph out in the countryside.

As you say for yourself....don't get me started :)

Just been reprimanded by BYU :D. He's right,of course. I do have a tendency to be pedantic. It's a great way to make friends and influence people..:LOL:

Road safety is a passion of mine, too. The way traffic policing has been reduced because of cuts has cost lives. It needs police out there to see the late night drink/ drug - drivers (morning ones too after 'the night before indulgence) and those driving whilst using their mobiles. Four times more likely to be involved in a crash whilst on the mobile. Re texting..world wide.2019..1.6 million accidents.Six times more likely than when alcohol is involved. In 2017 in the UK using a mobile accounted for 33 deaths..I see it all the time, drivers on their mobiles. I'd reduce the alcohol in blood permitted level to the amount you'd find in a christmas pudding or a posh chocolate...to allow for that. Research shows that even small amounts of alcohol affect decision-making whilst driving. The reason it isn't..in most EU countries it's 50mg/100ml blood..is that the Drinks industry lobbyists have been successful and I heard that it was on the grounds that lowering the limit to 50 would destroy the rural trade. I'm all for mobile speed detection units too. I would like to see speed limits painted on the roads at reasonable distances apart. . You can travel miles and wonder if you're in a 50mph limit or a 60mph out in the countryside.

As you say for yourself....don't get me started :)

Agree with you especially about people on their phones while driving I see it a lot , trouble is there’s not enough police patrols anymore to stop it
I believe a large proportion of accidents is caused by simply idiotic and aggressive driving like overtaking when it’s not safe tailgating etc

Agree with you especially about people on their phones while driving I see it a lot , trouble is there’s not enough police patrols anymore to stop it
I believe a large proportion of accidents is caused by simply idiotic and aggressive driving like overtaking when it’s not safe tailgating etc

It annoys me no end too, my phone is out of sight when I'm driving
Which is why I would never buy from a company using this picture as advertising
their advertising guys really failed

clip-jpg.291923

clip-jpg.291923
Wow yes they failed big time there talking about safety and the guys on his phone !

clip-jpg.291923
"Hello? Police? I'd like to report a dashcam the size of a small TV floating in front of my windscreen. No, I haven't been drinking."

Any geologists out there? Could they explain something that does baffle me.

Icebergs melting raise the sea level.

But surely icebergs are just solid water, they're going from solid water to the equivalent tonnage of wet water. So why would they raise sea levels?

NB: im not denying climate change / world destruction in any way, im just confused by this :)

But surely icebergs are just solid water, they're going from solid water to the equivalent tonnage of wet water. So why would they raise sea levels?
I believe the discussion is about glaciers, which are ice on land. If a large glacier melts the water will eventually find its way into the sea and thus increase the volume. The sea level will then rise. However, the land on which the glacier was sited will rebound as the huge weight is lifted, so some land will end up further above sea level.

Any geologists out there? Could they explain something that does baffle me.

Icebergs melting raise the sea level.

NB: im not denying climate change / world destruction in any way, im just confused by this :)
AFAIK
All (ignoring manmade water vapour) precipitation comes from evaporation of sea water (fresh water does contribute by is not too great a contribution by comparison?) The evaporation increased the salinity and hence the density & levels of the seas. In general this has been a stable and naturally contained 'status quo'.

The glaciers were created by snowfalls over millennia and other than minor contaminants is fresh water ice.

The changes to the melt/loss rate of the glaciers...... returns ancient (in almost geological terms) fresh water to the seas in billions of cubic metres volumes (could be billions of cubic kilometres!!!) Such added water increases the seas total volumes not only by sheer quantity but also because dilution makes them less dense and hence 'greater' volume to the point of raised sea levels.

On a note side ~ I recall hearing of/reading about the permafrost. Global warming has started to have a measurable effect i.e. the permafrost is melting more than previously predicted. This has two effects ~ evaporative water from the damp ground could/will add some more water into the "water cycle" thus adding to the total seas volume. Secondly, the permafrost has absorbed CO2 which as it melts will be released....an unwelcome addition to atmospheric concentrations!

Last edited:
I needed to seed a couple of grass area's
So I ordered 100% perennial short rye grass seeds.
What baffled me?
1) I never knew that there was "annual" grass but after digging around ( :D ) Google it seems there is.
2) 100% grass seed and approx 20% clover seeds :rolleyes:

No moss?

I've got more than I need TBH (y)
I generally pull it up and throw it in the shallow "beach" part to the pond, it thrives there, until the birds come along and steal it for their nests :D

Lucky i'm not Jewish or Muslim because one of the major supermarkets substituted Lamb mince with Pork mince
Can see how certain groups would go a bit crazy about that choice
Substitutions need to be dug out of the bags so not easily avoided if you were of those persuasions

Lucky i'm not Jewish or Muslim because one of the major supermarkets substituted Lamb mince with Pork mince
Substitutions need to be dug out of the bags so not easily avoided if you were of those persuasions

Surely youd just say "No substitutions"?

We always choose 'no substitutes' on things that are important. Not sure which supermarket you use but with Sainsburys click & collect prior to collection they send an email saying what substitutions have been made & you can get a refund if you don't like it. They also credit your account if the substitute is more expensive.

Sensible answers only, please :D but I expect that plea will have fallen on deaf ears...I'm thinking of one particular member..lol.

This one is for anyone fortunate enough to own a horse or horses. The horse in question looked identical to this one and from the same stables.

There are a lot of horses in the surrounding fields. I could easily have posted this is WCMUT because it was a enjoyable experience and I really like horses anyway but it baffled me...hence WBMT.

My wife and I went across fields via three stiles on a public footpath and in one field were three horses which, gave us a casual look and carried on munching grass. We were going to see if there was any wildfowl to photograph on any of the three reservoirs there. There were many horses in the surrounding fields. On our way back to the car we approached the second of the three stiles we had climbed over and the same three horses were now close to it. 25m away. As we got to the stile, inbetween a gap in the hedgerow, the chestnut brown one, largest of the three, came to us so I gave it a pat and had a word or two with it..as one does :) It even nuzzled its nose into my face. My wife got over the stile and the horse moved forward stopping me getting over. Its head was over the stile but I could have managed to get over in the small space to the right of the horse but as I did so it very gently and slowly moved its head to its right to bar my way. Then it ate some long grass growing at the base of the stile. I 'asked' it to move,several times but to no avail. I walked away 10m hoping it would walk away but no, it stood there. This went on for ten minutes with the other two older horses behind it watching. Eventually, I thought I might be able to walk along the hedge to a nearby gate, open that and go through but there was a hedge between that field and the one my wife was now in. Fortunately, a stable girl was walking towards the gate with a horse in tow and another behind it so I told her that the horse wouldn't let me get over the stile. She said it would go in a minute or two. I told her it had been there for 10 minutes. So..she came through the gate and went to it still holding the halter of the one she was leading and the second one walking behind and she tried to cajole the chestnut one to move. It wouldn't budge. She then had to take the two she had with her 15-20m away,told them to stay there and went to the chestnut and it took her some persuasion to get this chestnut one away from the stile. At that point I got over, thanked her and we went on our way.

Whatever was this horse up to ? Absolutely no aggression, very passive ..a gentle giant but it wasn't going to allow me to get over the stile. I know they will sometimes walk to people at the perimeter of their field,for whatever reason,I don't know..maybe they like people or hope for some food but to do what this horse did seemed unusual to me.

Sensible answers only, please :D but I expect that plea will have fallen on deaf ears...I'm thinking of one particular member..lol.

This one is for anyone fortunate enough to own a horse or horses. The horse in question looked identical to this one and from the same stables.

There are a lot of horses in the surrounding fields. I could easily have posted this is WCMUT because it was a enjoyable experience and I really like horses anyway but it baffled me...hence WBMT.

My wife and I went across fields via three stiles on a public footpath and in one field were three horses which, gave us a casual look and carried on munching grass. We were going to see if there was any wildfowl to photograph on any of the three reservoirs there. There were many horses in the surrounding fields. On our way back to the car we approached the second of the three stiles we had climbed over and the same three horses were now close to it. 25m away. As we got to the stile, inbetween a gap in the hedgerow, the chestnut brown one, largest of the three, came to us so I gave it a pat and had a word or two with it..as one does :) It even nuzzled its nose into my face. My wife got over the stile and the horse moved forward stopping me getting over. Its head was over the stile but I could have managed to get over in the small space to the right of the horse but as I did so it very gently and slowly moved its head to its right to bar my way. Then it ate some long grass growing at the base of the stile. I 'asked' it to move,several times but to no avail. I walked away 10m hoping it would walk away but no, it stood there. This went on for ten minutes with the other two older horses behind it watching. Eventually, I thought I might be able to walk along the hedge to a nearby gate, open that and go through but there was a hedge between that field and the one my wife was now in. Fortunately, a stable girl was walking towards the gate with a horse in tow and another behind it so I told her that the horse wouldn't let me get over the stile. She said it would go in a minute or two. I told her it had been there for 10 minutes. So..she came through the gate and went to it still holding the halter of the one she was leading and the second one walking behind and she tried to cajole the chestnut one to move. It wouldn't budge. She then had to take the two she had with her 15-20m away,told them to stay there and went to the chestnut and it took her some persuasion to get this chestnut one away from the stile. At that point I got over, thanked her and we went on our way.

Whatever was this horse up to ? Absolutely no aggression, very passive ..a gentle giant but it wasn't going to allow me to get over the stile. I know they will sometimes walk to people at the perimeter of their field,for whatever reason,I don't know..maybe they like people or hope for some food but to do what this horse did seemed unusual to me.
I reckon it was happy to have found a new friend and didn't want you to leave. :)
Animals can be odd things. My son sent me this video last night, the dog seems to be showing some concern at first, then appears to be berating the bloke. :)
View: https://youtu.be/HCMHzYKWfk4

My son has seen other videos of the bloke and the dog keeps walking in as if he is checking up on the bloke just to make sure he is alright.

We had a similar experience some years ago with a grey donkey while we were out walking. I climbed over the stile while my wife made a fuss of the donkey. Before my wife could get over the stile the donkey moved to block her path. It took several minutes of persuasion before it would let her proceed..... I think it was lonely & enjoyed being made a fuss of.

I reckon it was happy to have found a new friend and didn't want you to leave. :)
Animals can be odd things. My son sent me this video last night, the dog seems to be showing some concern at first, then appears to be berating the bloke. :)
View: https://youtu.be/HCMHzYKWfk4

My son has seen other videos of the bloke and the dog keeps walking in as if he is checking up on the bloke just to make sure he is alright.

Maybe that was it..a new friend. I think all animals, sense if someone likes them. I did pay it some attention and the tone of voice would mean something to it, I'm sure. Years ago one of cats was what my wife described as 'your mate' Lol. When I went into the room,mainly first thing in the morning, where it was lounging on a chair and I'd greet it and it would respond with a rough meow..not the regular cat noise. At first I thought it was a one off but it did so often it had to be a response.

Re the video. Poor dog getting a row .As you say, it looks as though it was showing concern too. Maybe the noises it made were also concern, I'm not sure but that's a good example of 'kick the dog' syndrome when infact the chap is annoyed with himself. Our near neighbour has one of those dogs..a Siberian Huskey but having said that I see there's a list of types that look very similar to them but I think it's the Siberian Husky

We had a similar experience some years ago with a grey donkey while we were out walking. I climbed over the stile while my wife made a fuss of the donkey. Before my wife could get over the stile the donkey moved to block her path. It took several minutes of persuasion before it would let her proceed..... I think it was lonely & enjoyed being made a fuss of.

In that case I think Nilagin has the answer. A new friend. We always visit a donkey sanctuary near Falmouth each year we go on holiday down there. Some have had pretty awful experiences. There are 'story-boards' on a wall with a photo.

Back