WBMT.....What baffled me today

I'm one of the rare breed of blokes ...seems you're the same...who actually enjoy going into large supermarkets. When we went to France I always looked forward to going to Carrefour. Everything is in order..neat rows of whatever all lined up. Bit sad, I know... :rolleyes: :D

We now do a Sainsburys click 'n collect if we can't get a delivery slot but we aren't having any problem getting a slot. Not the same ,though..as you say.
I don't think it's sad. I don't mind food shopping, especially in foreign lands when abroad with our motorhome. We like to try local produce wherever we go. I like trying cured meats & sausages, my wife is a big cheese fan. We are hoping that 2022 will see us back in mainland Europe once again.

We have stuck with C&C as we arrange our slot to coincide with our daughter & family doing the same. We get to see them face to face & speak to them at a safe social distance (while wearing masks) for a few valuable minutes each week without breaking any rules , it's better than Skype.

I just go to the supermarket when I waken, it might be 3 in the morning or 5ish but hey, I’m awake and they’re open, usually very quiet.

Hardly ever went to the supermarket before Covid for a big shop and haven't been since.
Online shopping is great, saves all that in the trolley, out at the checkout then in bags and into the car to unpack again at home.
Then there is the trudging round avoiding wayward kids and olds practically laying on the trolley.
Fortunately because of our previous online shops we were already registered when all this started.

When we went to France I always looked forward to going to Carrefour. Everything is in order..neat rows of whatever all lined up. Bit sad, I know... :rolleyes: :D
I have to agree with that, both the sad bit :D and the French supermarkets.
I quite like Leclerc & intermarché (y)

Shopping at the supermarket early is fine apart from the elderly couples who drape themselves all over the aisle trying to get their varifocals in focus! I'm also elderly and wear varifocals but I just don't do that, as I know what 2 metres looks like and I don't want to incovenience anyone. ............................ and why do they pick things up, look at them, then replace them on the shelves??? I hope that they used the hand sanitising gel!

Hardly ever went to the supermarket before Covid for a big shop and haven't been since.
Online shopping is great, saves all that in the trolley, out at the checkout then in bags and into the car to unpack again at home.
Then there is the trudging round avoiding wayward kids and olds practically laying on the trolley.
Fortunately because of our previous online shops we were already registered when all this started.

Same here.

Before COVID we went to the supermarket only early on Saturday mornings to buy a paper and the odd things we had forgotten to get delivered earlier in the week.
Since March we haven't been in a supermarket and have got a bit more organised and all food gets delivered once a week. If we have forgotten anything then we'll just do without it.Along with the things you have mentioned that are best avoided in supermarket shopping I think shopping online is/might be a bit more environmentally friendly.

Anything else is also ordered online if possible. The only thing I can think of which I would want to buy in a shop are walking boots(to save any hassle about returning ones that don't fit or in some other way don't feel right), but I know of a couple of models that fit so for a while I will buy these online too.

I'm sure there will be some time in the future when perhaps we will need to go to a shop, but so far it hasn't happened and I'd be happy if I never go into a shop again.

Dave

I have to agree with that, both the sad bit :D and the French supermarkets.
I quite like Leclerc & intermarché (y)

Lol.. to the sad bit. I'm very self-aware :)

Yes, we've been in those other two supermarkets too. One of the best fish stalls I've seen was in one of those supermarkets which was indoor. and the size of a football stadium. The people serving wore white plastic overalls and white wellies..very impressive. It was in Alsace. We bought a pineapple and the seller put it onto a de-corer ???. ..and put the fruit into a plastic bag. throwing away the outer skin. The fruit and veg looked better quality than here and ,as far as I know, most of it is locally-sourced and will therefore be in season. Our labelling is better,though but meat labelling there is detailed. I found an example as reported by a Brit in a Carrefour store in Brive-La-Gaillarde, SW France.

"I just found a single packet of veal in ‘Carrefour’, Brive, that had “Born in Germany, raised in Germany, killed in the Pays Bas, butchered in the Pays Bas” printed on it! It was purporting to be special (which it may well have been), with a sticker of a gentle-looking leaf motif. But even if the calves had a long journey, at least we know!

By the time I'd read that much detail I'd have felt so sorry for the creature I'd have bought fish..lol. I wouldn't eat veal, anyway.

Although we do use a couple of supermarkets on holiday (cartons of juice, cereal etc.), fresh produce comes from markets whenever possible. hugely cheaper and fresher.

I don't think it's sad. I don't mind food shopping, especially in foreign lands when abroad with our motorhome. We like to try local produce wherever we go. I like trying cured meats & sausages, my wife is a big cheese fan. We are hoping that 2022 will see us back in mainland Europe once again.

We have stuck with C&C as we arrange our slot to coincide with our daughter & family doing the same. We get to see them face to face & speak to them at a safe social distance (while wearing masks) for a few valuable minutes each week without breaking any rules , it's better than Skype.

It's not funny really but best to see the funny side to stay sane. I said to my wife a while ago that it comes to something when a Sainsburys click 'n collect ( a 6 mile round trip) is something to look forward to just to get out other than a local walk. I even take a bottle of sparkling water with me on these outings. lol. I'm even disappointed when she happily tells me she's secured a delivery slot. For you it's a venue where you can see family, which is great and, as you say, having regard to the rules...which are about to get a whole lot tougher btw.

Travelling around Europe in your motorhome is great. I really enjoy going to other countries trying local foods and seeing how they live. I lived in Germany for 3 years back in the 70's. In fact,we had german sausage for breakfast today and I was thinking of posting about them in WCMT. I'll do that.I found mustard which is as near to Tommy's mustard (Senf...pronounced zenf).. as you'll get.

Germany as a holiday destination is seriously underrated in my view. We were regular visitors there pre-pandemic and hope to return as soon as it is safe to do so. We have a favourite campsite on the banks of the Rhine to the south of Koblenz.

People in motorhomes are made a lot more welcome in mainland Europe than in the UK. Many towns & villages provide parking spaces (almost always free) specifically for motorhomes to encourage visitors. In the UK towns and villages provide car parks with height barriers to prevent entry.

As far as C&C being something to look forward to, it very much is in our case, we feel quite deflated after we have returned home and 'sanitised' or quarantined our shopping ......

Our son uses Asda for C&C, so we can 'order' any missing items between us and exchange them. He also shares his C&C slot with his partners parents too as they don't have a car and were obliged to use public transport to go shopping.

I'm one of the rare breed of blokes ...seems you're the same...who actually enjoy going into large supermarkets. When we went to France I always looked forward to going to Carrefour. Everything is in order..neat rows of whatever all lined up. Bit sad, I know... :rolleyes: :D

We now do a Sainsburys click 'n collect if we can't get a delivery slot but we aren't having any problem getting a slot. Not the same ,though..as you say.

I am one too! Do all the food shopping for us and even if i just need a small shop will wander up and down every aisle, seeing what offers may be on - I am a sucker for deals if its stuff i actually use! Been known to do 3 places in one day especially around Christmas - love Christmas food shops even more!

WBMT is why a couple of months lockdown in March was a relative breeze but a week (so far) and I'm going stir-crazy!

Once when visiting Germany we ascended the mountain Zugspitze (by cable car;)) and decided to have lunch in the cafe on top. We ordered Beerwurst salad, much to our amusement we were served with a big bowl full of sliced Beerwurst, trimmed with two small gherkins, a slice of tomato and a very small lettuce leaf.

I hasten to add we have had better salads in Germany.......

Germany as a holiday destination is seriously underrated in my view. We were regular visitors there pre-pandemic and hope to return as soon as it is safe to do so. We have a favourite campsite on the banks of the Rhine to the south of Koblenz.

People in motorhomes are made a lot more welcome in mainland Europe than in the UK. Many towns & villages provide parking spaces (almost always free) specifically for motorhomes to encourage visitors. In the UK towns and villages provide car parks with height barriers to prevent entry.

As far as C&C being something to look forward to, it very much is in our case, we feel quite deflated after we have returned home and 'sanitised' or quarantined our shopping ......

Our son uses Asda for C&C, so we can 'order' any missing items between us and exchange them. He also shares his C&C slot with his partners parents too as they don't have a car and were obliged to use public transport to go shopping.

If I had my time again I'd live in SW Germany. Baden-Wuerttemburg.(the capital is Stuttgart) It's where the Danube starts. It's bordered by France to the west, Switzerland to the south,Bavaria to the east with the Schwarzwald..Munich..Lake Constance (Bodensee) Heidelberg, Baden-Baden, Karlsruhe, Freiburg.....etc. Think of the travelling you could do.

All those years ago when I lived in Frankfurt and travelled around that region it was clear back then that they really catered for anything recreational and provided great facilities free whether you're in a car, a motorhome or caravan. As you say, the LAs here just seem to do the minimum. 'They' say that France is the Gold standard re motorway rest /service areas these days but as you say, here the LAs seem to do the least and have height barriers.

My favourite meal was Jägerschnitzel..fries/salad.. Can't put the umlaut over the 'ä' on this iMac..lol. On one trip out ,to the amazement of the restaurant owner..a small restaurant out in the countryside, I had two...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had my time again I'd live in SW Germany. Baden-Wuerttemburg.(the capital is Stuttgart) It's where the Danube starts. It's bordered by France to the west, Switzerland to the south,Bavaria to the east with the Schwarzwald..Munich..Lake Constance (Bodensee) Heidelberg, Baden-Baden, Karlsruhe, Freiburg.....etc. Think of the travelling you could do.

All those years ago when I lived in Frankfurt and travelled around that region it was clear back then that they really catered for anything recreational and provided great facilities free whether you're in a car, a motorhome or caravan. As you say, the LAs here just seem to do the minimum. 'They' say that France is the Gold standard re motorway rest /service areas these days but as you say, here the LAs seem to do the least and have height barriers.

My favourite meal was Jägerschnitzel..fries/salad.. Can't put the umlaut over the 'ä' on this iMac..lol. On one trip out ,to the amazement of the restaurant owner..a small restaurant out in the countryside, I had two...lol.
We have covered the areas you listed, several times. I prefer Germany to France. We have enjoyed trips to Switzerland and Austria too and even ventured into Northern Italy.

My favourite meal in Germany is probably Pork loin with soured cherry sauce, served with either chips or noodles & a side salad. We also like Flammkuchen served with a very cold beer.

I am one too! Do all the food shopping for us and even if i just need a small shop will wander up and down every aisle, seeing what offers may be on - I am a sucker for deals if its stuff i actually use! Been known to do 3 places in one day especially around Christmas - love Christmas food shops even more!

Brilliant... :) My wife can't understand why I like it so much. As with yourself I seek out the bargains and take pricing as a challenge. Me v the supermarket smart boys.Lol. You could find me on my knees in an aisle looking at the price per gms on the ticket of an item on the bottom shelf. Sometimes, I end up buying two smaller-sized items because the cost of the large one is more according to that tiny, tiny print of the price per 10gms or 100gms. I buy walnuts,redskin nuts and sultanas and mix them in a plastic sandwich box which is rather too handy in the kitchen cupboard. :D There's a display of nuts near the entrance but if I go to 'home baking' section the same walnuts are cheaper by 30p. I've seen a large pack of whatever advertised as 'Fantastic value' at a penny more than two smaller ones next to it. I drink sparkling water with a slice of lemon with our evening meal and Sainsburys own brand is as good as the expensive Perrier next to it which, by the way, has a high salt content. The Sainsburys 2Lt bottles in a 6 pack is only £1.60. Used to be £1.50. I had a word with a floor manager one day because the Tassimo coffee pods which I've been buying for years to go with our Tassimo/Bosch coffee machine, were usually £4...two packs for £7. Then it went to £5..say on the Monday and on Friday the label still had £5 but a cross through £6 on a red 'reduced' label. That's failing to comply to the regs.He said sorry and that he'd speak to whoever priced it.

I buy loose fruit/veg when I can..as you'll know..much cheaper.

A guide to reduction times https://mrspinch.com/supermarket-reduction-times/

However...:( Covid has put the mockers on this for me as my wife won't let me go into a supermarket. Infact one of her friends...no,not the one re the soldiers (or not as the case may be in Manchester...lol) has now got covid and knows for certain she could only have got it in the supermarket she shops in regularly. I'm sure people think the supermarket is ok because it's very large. When all this started last Spring I was in our local supermarket and I was walking passed a couple of aisles when a lady coming towards me made a right turn into an aisle and as she did so she sneezed openly, no hand over mouth,no tissue, no handkerchief..nothing.. so I held my breathe for 30 seconds as I carried on. Doing that could have saved my life :D

Can't put the umlaut over the 'a' on this iMac..lol. On one trip out ,to the amazement of the restaurant owner..a small restaurant out in the countryside, I had two...lol.
hold the 'a' key down and several options for accents should come up, each of which is numbered - press the number for the umlaut.

hold the 'a' key down and several options for accents should come up, each of which is numbered - press the number for the umlaut.

I have tried but will have another go now. What happened was that I could only get it with the 'u' The letter 'a' turned to a 'u'

Jägerschnitzel.. Well, well. Much appreciated (y)

Brilliant... :) My wife can't understand why I like it so much. As with yourself I seek out the bargains and take pricing as a challenge. Me v the supermarket smart boys.Lol. You could find me on my knees in an aisle looking at the price per gms on the ticket of an item on the bottom shelf. Sometimes, I end up buying two smaller-sized items because the cost of the large one is more according to that tiny, tiny print of the price per 10gms or 100gms. I buy walnuts,redskin nuts and sultanas and mix them in a plastic sandwich box which is rather too handy in the kitchen cupboard. :D There's a display of nuts near the entrance but if I go to 'home baking' section the same walnuts are cheaper by 30p. I've seen a large pack of whatever advertised as 'Fantastic value' at a penny more than two smaller ones next to it. I drink sparkling water with a slice of lemon with our evening meal and Sainsburys own brand is as good as the expensive Perrier next to it which, by the way, has a high salt content. The Sainsburys 2Lt bottles in a 6 pack is only £1.60. Used to be £1.50. I had a word with a floor manager one day because the Tassimo coffee pods which I've been buying for years to go with our Tassimo/Bosch coffee machine, were usually £4...two packs for £7. Then it went to £5..say on the Monday and on Friday the label still had £5 but a cross through £6 on a red 'reduced' label. That's failing to comply to the regs.He said sorry and that he'd speak to whoever priced it.

I buy loose fruit/veg when I can..as you'll know..much cheaper.

A guide to reduction times https://mrspinch.com/supermarket-reduction-times/

However...:( Covid has put the mockers on this for me as my wife won't let me go into a supermarket. Infact one of her friends...no,not the one re the soldiers (or not as the case may be in Manchester...lol) has now got covid and knows for certain she could only have got it in the supermarket she shops in regularly. I'm sure people think the supermarket is ok because it's very large. When all this started last Spring I was in our local supermarket and I was walking passed a couple of aisles when a lady coming towards me made a right turn into an aisle and as she did so she sneezed openly, no hand over mouth,no tissue, no handkerchief..nothing.. so I held my breathe for 30 seconds as I carried on. Doing that could have saved my life :D

Much the same - while i dont memorise prices I seem to have a knack of knowing if a price has gone up or down and if the deal is worth doing. Like £1.50 for 1 or £2.00 for 2 - no brainer on stuff I use like washing up liquid or salad cream as long lasting and now i will use it. A lot of the products go on cycles, so if i see something i use a lot of I will stock up. You do need to be careful as you say, always read the price per 100g too! All part of the fun in shopping.

Much the same - while i dont memorise prices I seem to have a knack of knowing if a price has gone up or down and if the deal is worth doing. Like £1.50 for 1 or £2.00 for 2 - no brainer on stuff I use like washing up liquid or salad cream as long lasting and now i will use it. A lot of the products go on cycles, so if i see something i use a lot of I will stock up. You do need to be careful as you say, always read the price per 100g too! All part of the fun in shopping.

Indeed,indeed.. :D

I'm just thinking what Gremlin (Ingrid) will be thinking if she reads our posts..she hates shopping :D (yesterday's post 1962 a..6.43am)

Actually went into a shop today - pretty much the first time in months! Needed tyres on Mrs Nod's car so had to waste 1/2 hour in town. Visited a Turkish supermarket where I was the only customer. Picked up 2kg of split yellow peas for the same cost as 1kg in Sainsbury's as well as a couple of things that we usually only find on holiday.

Actually went into a shop today - pretty much the first time in months! Needed tyres on Mrs Nod's car so had to waste 1/2 hour in town. Visited a Turkish supermarket where I was the only customer. Picked up 2kg of split yellow peas for the same cost as 1kg in Sainsbury's as well as a couple of things that we usually only find on holiday.

Sometimes I pick up posts in a thread I've contributed to a bit late :rolleyes:

Getting those split yellow peas cheaper in the Turkish supermarket doesn't surprise me. In the so-called 'corner shops' in the Asian community here you can get curry ingredients and other produce much cheaper, often better quality too and with curry products they are authentic. Lovely aroma too :)

In most supermarkets they have an aisle called 'World Foods' and you can get an identical product there much cheaper than in one of the other aisles. It's highlighted here. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/d...aisle-cheaper-same-product-different-section/

Received the email below from British Gas. I haven't had a problem logging in to my account (we're in the process of switching to BG from EDF and registered online with them last week). I logged in without any issues after receiving this (went into 5the website rather than clicking the button in the email)

Don't think it's a scam as the email address is no-reply@britishgas.co.uk

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 09.46.57.png

Received the email below from British Gas. I haven't had a problem logging in to my account (we're in the process of switching to BG from EDF and registered online with them last week). I logged in without any issues after receiving this (went into 5the website rather than clicking the button in the email)

Don't think it's a scam as the email address is no-reply@britishgas.co.uk

View attachment 305653
Maybe someone has been trying to access your account and they're letting you know?

I had something similar a while ago when my email and some shopping passwords seemed to go haywire and need changing but I couldn't find any evidence that someone had tried to hack anything and I didn't have any unknown charges on anything. Gosh knows what happened. Maybe this is quite common? Could be hackers or possibly some Microsoft or internet glitch?

I did wonder that but why would anyone want to access my account?

Assuming you pay by direct debit, then to get your bank details

Back