WBMT.....What baffled me today

It’s a money laundering prevention measure implemented by the treasury according to our local post office manager.
Why changing notes from one denomination to another might aid money laundering is hard to figure...

I know that you can no longer pay into an account without a paying in slip / bank card for this reason. Years ago I did jury service and the prosecution detailed the defendant receiving anonymous payments by giving people a bank account number and sort code. Most paying in slips had either no names or were illegible.

Because their Cash drawer has to Tally with their Computer., do you think?

It still would, I wasn't asking them to give me twenty quids worth of fivers, fair exchange is no robbery

It’s a money laundering prevention measure implemented by the treasury according to our local post office manager.

They had just watched me get the money from their cash machine, it was still in my hand.
Sorry, but this sort of thing is bonkers and is in no way connected to the real world

Last edited:
Couldn't find my glasses this morning before leaving home and was going to be late so left without them, a real pain as I can barely read without them. The sun came out as I drove off so I put sunglasses on, reached my destination and parked up. As I entered the building for my appointment I took my sunglasses off, guess what was under under them .....

Baffled I didn't realise I was wearing my glasses!

Baffled I didn't notice the difference when driving!

Baffled full stop!!!

Asked to leave a trust pilot review, which I was happy to do, as I had received good old fashion service from the sales team and delivery guys.
However on reading some of the other feed back, ( all good) there was one, that had been removed,
with the comment "This does not reflect the true nature of out business"
Obviously the customer concerned had a crap experience, but surely his comments are just as valid as everyone else's
Or maybe only positive reviews are acceptable?

I've heard that about Trust Pilot, i.e. that negative feedback can be removed. Doesn't say much for the process...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/trust/faq says not but their understanding of compliance with terms and conditions of posting is very fluid.

Last edited:
Clicked a link in classifieds and got a cookie warning about TP using a service called skimlinks to raise funds for running TP via ad personalisation, think ok let’s look at skimlinks privacy policy before blindly accepting.

View of skimlinks page is promptly interrupted/covered by a cookie acceptance screen demanding I accept or reject cookies to be able to get to see the privacy policy...hit reject as i cannot see what I am agreeing too, and promptly get redirected to homepage of skimlinks rather than privacy policy....

End result no treats for the hamster as I could not accept in an informed manner....

190414_104808.jpg

Is that the first cookie warning on clicking the TP link? (Im not too happy on the wording of that popup, but I'll let that slide for the minute)
Did you then click on the Privacy Policy link?

I'm trying to get the resulting Skimlinks Privacy Policy page to show me an overlay but it's not, its just showing me the privacy policy. Do you have any screenshots?

Ignore me, killed my uBlock Origin for Skimlinks and it popped up. I'll let them know because that's bloody stupid design.

It was within skimlinks site not TP

I got the one you have screen shot ok, clicked the “our partners privacy policy” and on skimlinks site their policy was covered by a cookie accept/reject pop up, hiding their privacy policy from view.

Yup, this one.

190414_105334.jpg

Silly design. I've submitted a ticket to let them know.

Thanks for the quick response/confirmation even though it was just a mini-rant at poor design, rather than a complaint at TP themselves.

People who think they are invisible because they are wearing sunglasses.
I was cleaning the car this morning and heard voices as a couple of people were walking by. I glanced up to see a woman in sunglasses had stopped and turned round and just stood there staring at me for about 5 seconds before turning and walking off to rejoin her partner.
Mind you I have experienced it where I have been wearing sunglasses and complete strangers have started talking about me, it's as if the sunglasses had somehow rendered me deaf as well as u able to see them. :)

Why our neighbour has spent ALL DAY sawing / hammering in an ill advised quest to turn some knackered bunk beds into a table.

Were you trying to sleep?:giggle:

Nope - but I was hoping to have a relaxing day in the garden rather than 9 hours of power tools. She's been at it again today too. Very considerate.

Not sure whether this thread or the WAMT....actually deserves to be on both but here I am ;)

But this was actually yesterday.

We had a walk around the nearby ex gravel pit, a beautiful and lovely amenity. It is owned by the sailing club who have an arrangement with the fishing club. Following the purchase & takeover by the Sailing Club they put a lot of effort in to improving the perimeter path(s) and included a few benches.

The walk yesterday, we passed one bench that had a small plastic bag next to it .......yes, as far as I 'saw' it, a dog poo bag!!!! :( :mad:

As mentioned this is private land and there are just one of two "Poo Fairy" signs, there are no (and i would expect none) bins around the lake.......so why can't the dog walkers be more considerate. Including those that allow their dogs to poo on the path and not clear it up.

This sort of lack of consideration for others conjures up in mind the attitude of "I won't worry as it is someone's job to clear the rubbish........and I would not want them to lose a job....". This is not appropriate in towns where street cleaners are in action let alone on a publicly accessible area, that will only ever get volunteer cleaning, for everyone's benefit!!!!

Last edited:
Eighteen hours making a table?
Any chance of a photo of this Chippendale masterpiece?

I did say it was ill advised. Sadly I can't really get a good shot of it but just imagine some knackered bunkbeds and you'll have a good idea what it still looks like.

Last night driving home from work on a very quiet duel carriageway at 70mph, I was passing a slip road joining the dual carriageway. A BMW M3 travelling at 80+mph comes down the slip road undertaking me (no problem, they are on the slip road) and brakes heavily, meaning I overtake. As I continue along the dual carriageway, the BMW now has it's hazzard light on and very slowly (looked like walking pace) pulls out onto the dual carriageway even though there was a good distance remaining on the slip road. No idea what happened after that, but very odd.

I know that some forces use Ms as unmarked traffic cars - maybe that was one?

I was thinking similar, seeing simply front hazards flashing (in your rear view mirror) does not exclude that he could have had rear facing "blues & reds" illuminated!

Could have been, I had seen two police cars going in opposite directions with their emergency lights on about 30 seconds before hand. But to leave the slip road at such a slow speed seemed a very odd move. There were no more cars following me when it happened as they had all left the dual carriageway further back.

I was thinking similar, seeing simply front hazards flashing (in your rear view mirror) does not exclude that he could have had rear facing "blues & reds" illuminated!
Blues and reds would light up a dark road though.

I know that some forces use Ms as unmarked traffic cars -
Norfolk certainly does.

There were no more cars following me when it happened as they had all left the dual carriageway further back.
Sounds like a rolling road block to me, they usually have a sign in the back window, ( do not pass, or some such, ) rather than blues and twos

Blues and reds would light up a dark road though.

Ah yes!.............................though that surmises the driver switched them on at the same time as the hazard lights? If there was an ongoing incident in which that car was involved.......................perhaps check the local press as might have gotten a mention???

WBMT? Dual carriageway 70 mph limit in force, cars in convoy, all keeping to the limit.
The car in front suddenly spots the Mobile talivan and hits the brakes, as he got to it :rolleyes:
(it wasn't even hidden, it was in plain sight up on a bank)
Too late, had you been speeding he would have nabbed you half a mile back ;)

WBMT? Dual carriageway 70 mph limit in force, cars in convoy, all keeping to the limit.
The car in front suddenly spots the Mobile talivan and hits the brakes, as he got to it :rolleyes:
(it wasn't even hidden, it was in plain sight up on a bank)
Too late, had you been speeding he would have nabbed you half a mile back ;)

I get similar, only with a fixed speed camera. On a single carriageway on my way to work, there always seems to be at least one car up ahead who suddenly brakes down to 30mph, The bit that's baffling? The speed limit is 50!!!

there always seems to be at least one car up ahead who suddenly brakes down to 30mph, The bit that's baffling? The speed limit is 50!!!
Yeah I don't get it either.
I can only assume that a large percentage of drivers don't know what "Limit" they are in, or what the white circle with a diagonal black line actually means..

Yeah I don't get it either.
I can only assume that a large percentage of drivers don't know what "Limit" they are in, or what the white circle with a diagonal black line actually means..
Yes, that would seem to be the case although there are at least 3 red circles with 50 in the middle in the 1 mile stretch leading up to the speed camera.

Yes, that would seem to be the case although there are at least 3 red circles with 50 in the middle in the 1 mile stretch leading up to the speed camera.
:rolleyes:

Always baffles me that some drivers feel the need to brake for speed cameras without checking to see if they're speeding before weighing anchor.

Have you seen the ones that brake down to the limit for an average speed camera, then floor it again 'til they reach the next one? :rolleyes:

Have you seen the ones that brake down to the limit for an average speed camera, then floor it again 'til they reach the next one? :rolleyes:
There is a lovely stretch of the A14 near Cambs, that is a prime contender for the twatt awards, on that. (y)
And then there are those, the last camera, its a good half a mile + after, to the de-restricted sign ( as was) and still do 40 mph...

And finally, that last stretch is 70 mph with an average speed camera at the end, that " the Sterling Moss's" didn't know about it until it arrived :D

Actually I'm not convinced that due to the varying speed limits that they actually work.
Although I'm not gonna test it ;)

A guy I worked with once got a ticket for speeding in the M1 50 zone.
It seems he thought an average speed check involved the cameras checking your speed, Gatso-style, then adding them all up and dividing by the number of cameras...

Allegedly, They don't all work, the best suggestion that I've heard is that its the one at the beginning, one or two in the middle and one at or near the end.

A very long time ago I did a bit of work for a police force and for lack of desk space was given a seat in a corner of the traffic division office. One afternoon there was a sudden chorus of cheers as 2 officers came in. It seems they had been on patrol a few days previously when they had triggered one of their own (new) Gastsos. The department boss had just received the evidence and had helpfully pinned it on the main notice board for all to see... :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Yup, "unauthorised" speeding gives the rest of the traffic section a good laugh at the offenders' expense (and earns the offender a fairly extensive bollocking!)

Back