WBMT.....What baffled me today

Yes it was foggy, but why did the car following me only have it's fog lamps on ?
Found out later when they did finally turn the headlights in, o/s headlight out :rolleyes:

On my car you can't have the front fog lights unless you also have dipped headlights (y)
Mines can be on as long as the sidelights are on.

Amazon - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band

Buy MP3 - £11.99

Buy CD (includes free MP3 version) - £6.99

:thinking:
I bought this album when it first came out - the original pressing. Five years ago I discovered that this was worth quite a bit so I sold it. I have been meaning to buy a digital copy since then but have not got around to it. Your post prompted me so I had a look on Amazon - many Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CDs available - some for very silly prices but none for £6.99. Googled the album and it came up with a copy on Amazon for £6.99 plus free MP3 download. Why wouldn't Amazon tell me directly?

Now bought and downloaded - and playing.

I bought this album when it first came out - the original pressing. Five years ago I discovered that this was worth quite a bit so I sold it. I have been meaning to buy a digital copy since then but have not got around to it. Your post prompted me so I had a look on Amazon - many Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CDs available - some for very silly prices but none for £6.99. Googled the album and it came up with a copy on Amazon for £6.99 plus free MP3 download. Why wouldn't Amazon tell me directly?

Now bought and downloaded - and playing.

Bizzare isn't it? I was a toddler when it came out but I had it on tape as a teenager, never got around to replacing it until now.

Not sure whether angry or baffled...

Our CTO has just hired a new "diversity manager". First order of business: All employees to try and not use gender pronouns for 48 hours.

I think I'm losing touch with reality sometimes.

Our CTO has just hired a new "diversity manager". First order of business: All employees to try and not use gender pronouns for 48 hours.

When I hear something like this I'm glad I'm retired. Think you should ask the 'diversity manager' to give guidance on the acceptable terms to use.

If, instead of 'he' or 'she', you are supposed to always use the person's first name then it could be argued first names have an intrinsic gender element.

Perhaps, instead of 'he' or 'she' you'll be required to use 'it'.

Its totally bonkers.

Dave

Just call everybody "it" and "thing", see how that goes down.

it will be because gender pronouns are biased to the masculine. Where gender is unknown, we tend to use the masculine pronoun and sometimes when gender is known. Not using gender pronouns means we stop excluding people which is a good thing.

we stop excluding people which is a good thing.

I think this is what baffles me. Referring to someone as "he" when they're not is just a mistake isn't it? Like when I regularly mis-pronounce people's names? Apologise, job done. I guess I'm more angry than baffled. Not sure why someone on a 6 figure salary needs to be employed to tell us this stuff.

Country lane, woman driving a 4x4 (what else?) comes around the bend on the wrong side of the road,
Narrowly missing me. And she made it perfectly clear that some how that was my fault ! (Perhaps for just being there? )
:thinking:

I think this is what baffles me. Referring to someone as "he" when they're not is just a mistake isn't it? Like when I regularly mis-pronounce people's names? Apologise, job done. I guess I'm more angry than baffled. Not sure why someone on a 6 figure salary needs to be employed to tell us this stuff.
Make a mistake once, an apology is fine. When it is every time you refer to someone over many years, an apology is not fine.

Don’t get me wrong I think Stacey Solomon is quite attractive, and can be entertaining on tv but think I will pass on this offer......
ECB95AFE-7AA1-42C3-853F-17B580CAEDB6.png

I still keep a chequebook. I think the last time I used it was about four years ago to go on to a course.

WBMT? Two invoices in two days, both with 'make cheques payable to................' and no bank details. Cheques? Really? In 2019? Needless to say, neither place got a cheque.

I pay my credit card by cheque, I have one that is separate from my bank account that I use online so that
gets paid by cheque on the odd occasion I use it

I pay as many bills as possible with cheques. Don't like standing orders or direct debits and am prepared to pay the slight premium to keep using my preferred payment method.

The bank took my cheque book away over 10 years ago when I hit hard times...I still can't get a new one but they're happy to let me have 10k on a credit card! :rolleyes:

The last cheque I wrote was 3 years ago, which I promptly got back as I hadn't needed to send it. It's the only one out of the book............. The biggest problems with a cheque is the 8 mile round trip to the nearest post office to buy a stamp to post it and the time it takes to be cashed - really messes up my budgetting spreadsheets. To me if it can't be done online it's not worth doing. Maybe living somewhere where there's no banks, no ATM, no shops and no post office makes you even more keen to embrace technology?

To me if it can't be done online it's not worth doing.

Spot on.

Now and again we go on holiday with a couple of long term friends. If we pay for the accommodation they pay us cheque, because they don't do bank transfers!

Interesting comment Jan about embracing technology if you live an area devoid of the usual high street financial opportunities. Our friends are part of a population of over 300,000.

I extend my online activities as far as possible. I'll buy fresh food locally but if I can avoid going into shops I will.

Dave

I hate it if I get a cheque to pay in. It means a trip into town, having to find somewhere to park, just to pay it in. I only go into town for petrol. Other than that I avoid the place.

It seems the government prefer to use cheques, I've had 2 refunds recently, one for my TV licence and
one for road tax both paid by cheque

It seems the government prefer to use cheques, I've had 2 refunds recently, one for my TV licence and
one for road tax both paid by cheque
I had one from DVLA. I attempted to change my driving licence from a 30yr old paper licence to a new photo licence. They wouldn't do it on my out of date passport as a proof of ID and eventually refunded my £20 by cheque when I never sent another form of ID.
I wasn't even going to bother paying the cheque in, it was only because I needed to pay some cash into the bank over Christmas (quite a few months later) that I had to go to the bank.

I had one from DVLA. I attempted to change my driving licence from a 30yr old paper licence to a new photo licence. They wouldn't do it on my out of date passport as a proof of ID and eventually refunded my £20 by cheque when I never sent another form of ID.

How weird, when I moved and sent in all the bits for a new licence, plus the cheque, they just sent my cheque back
saying there was no charge

How weird, when I moved and sent in all the bits for a new licence, plus the cheque, they just sent my cheque back
saying there was no charge
Mine may well have ended up the same had they actually bothered to supply a licence. I only applied for it, in good time I might add, because I was going to an Iron Maiden concert which runs a ticketless system where the purchaser has to present a valid I'D which you later find out is passport or photo driving licence plus the card used for payment. I tried to apply for the licence on line, thought I had actually been successful until a form arrived in the post over a fortnight later. By the time they returned my old passport, wanting another form of ID, it was too close to going to the concert to expect the licence to arrive.
Ended up taking my old passport with fingers crossed they would accept it, but the process takes so long at the concert venue, they let you in just on the production of the payment card.

CTO is techonology… ask them how you describe a male to female connecter then??

Getting older, working in nightclubs, playing in bands and riding loud motorcycles has taken its toll on my hearing so I went for a check-up at a local Chime centre (NHS backed testing place). Yup, definite deterioration in both ears so aids needed. They can't anything without my GP's referral back to them so I had to waste 30 minutes of her time so she can do so. Now got to wait for Chime to contact me to arrange another appointment to sort the aids.

Mind you, as Grandpa used to say, getting older is better than the alternative (although he did revise his opinion when the alternative got close!)

Carrots.
I like carrots. I'd go so far as to say they're one of my favourite vegetables.
Why, though, would anyone put them in a Bolognese sauce?

Because they're part of a classic mirepoix base and give an extra layer of flavour?

I don't put them in mine but the explanation above is what one of the TV chefs said. Tried it and didn't think the improvement was detectable or worth the extra effort.

TV chefs.
Says it all really.

Yup!

Speed camera van thing on the A14 the other day around 4pm so start of rush-hour... Pointless. We are in middle of a huge construction project so the road is a 40 limit... at those times it is almost impossible to break 40 - much of the time you are lucky to get above 30!!!

Police helping a very long load to manoeuvre round the outside of a roundabout to leave at the "straight ahead" exit. It's one of those roundabouts with a "straight across" road surface through the middle... :jawdrop:

There's one of those (roads across roundabout) that was put in to smooth traffic flow to the local county show ground. Only ever seen it being used as a parking area for plod while they stand around watching the chaos pretend to direct the traffic do something unfathomable.

Speed camera van thing on the A14 the other day around 4pm so start of rush-hour... Pointless. We are in middle of a huge construction project so the road is a 40 limit... at those times it is almost impossible to break 40 - much of the time you are lucky to get above 30!!!
Was it off to the left, before the M11 turn? in the construction section?
If so, thats been there a few days, and it is for the site traffic not the main traffic that's controlled by average speed camera's

WBMT? People who still believe in the dog poo fairy. Took myself up onto the Blackdowns earlier for a short walk, which was great as I had an op on my leg a couple of weeks ago and a lovely person has just lent me a car I can get in and out of safely and drive. Just down the path from the car park there's a tall wooden post with 'viewpoint' on one side and 'car park' on the other..................... and at the base of the post a pile of plastic dog poo bags (full dog poo bags). Just why do people think it's okay to bag Fido's leftovers and just leave them for someone else to take away and dispose of?

Round here they decorate the hedgerows with them :rolleyes:

Back