WCMUT....what cheered me up today

My daughter bought herself a shiny new car on Saturday
This morning I get a phone call, she's been shopping in Tesco, put the keys on the back parcel shelf
and shut the rear door, oops it's self locked and she can't get in the car :LOL:
Mum to the rescue with the spare set
She had unlocked just the boot, not realising that on newer cars it auto locks, mine does too

Just checked if I can lock mine in the boot (double checked that the spare was to hand!) I can close the boot but the car beeps at me and the boot can be opened but the rest of the car stays locked. Not sure if the car would lock the boot as well after a period of time - life's too short to spend too much time experimenting!

I can't believe it... I'm worth more now than last month!

I gave up work 10 years ago and at first my savings continued to rise but as the interest rate fell ever lower my savings started to fall each month as outgoings exceeded the amount I earned in interest but I've just done my banking and I'm up £175! :D I've checked twice... and I am! :D

I expect normal service will resume next month but today I'm basking in the glory of being up £175 on last month :D

Time to visit the Jaguar dealership? Maybe not :D

PS.
I get a company pension next year and that'll be my first regular income since leaving work.

Last edited:
Booked in to visit DZP tomorrow. Members' day so won't be too busy. Just wondering what will be on their café menu...
Looks like they've made a few changes to the layout since we were last down there - they've had a couple of deaths (Ben Mee inherited a rather elderly population when he took it over) so there's been some reshuffling.

Just wondering what will be on their café menu...
Are you sure its open? ZSL whipsnade are not serving food.
No great loss TBH ever since River cottage ( Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall ) took over the catering, its been over priced undersized portions, And not exactly a family friendly menu either.

According to their website, the café is open for takeaway. Weather looks good so that's fine by us! We're taking a waterproof picnic rug so can sit on the grass if necessary but I'll also take a couple of feet of lining paper to use as a tablecloth on one of their picnic tables for a bit more comfort.

Since we're members, the only money they will get from us (other than a donation) will be from the café, hence us not taking our own food and drink! Quite looking forward to a reasonable distance drive too - only been local since lockdown!

Surviving to the ripe old age of 57. Somehow!

WCMUT has to be used for 'what made me laugh (chuckle) today'.

Yesterday representatives of BT, Vodafone and three senior members of the Chinese tech company Huawei gave evidence to the Science and Technology Committee regarding the contract re the forthcoming 5G network. The Wuawei representatives which included Jeremy Thompson, a British Huawei executive (UK Vice President) stressed that they were not compelled to follow orders from Beijing and Mr Thompson insisted that employees were free to express views just like any other British company. So..with this in mind the chairman,Greg Clark MP asked Mr Thompson what his personal view was regarding China's controversial new security law in Hong Kong to which Mr Thompson said he didn't have one."I am a telecoms executive,I have worked in telecoms all my life ,my role is to enable our customers, who are the carriers, to provide communications faster and cheaper..I don't have a view"

Mr Clark asked him if he was free to express a view and he responded with .. "My company does not get involved in judging the rules of other countries"

Vice President Victor Zhang told the Committee that Huawei was independent of any government and would follow UK law. He was also asked about the Chinese security laws imposed on Hong Kong which have caused international outrage he said that Huawei couldn't comment on the political agenda but would be happy to share his personal view 'offline' not in public.

All grist to the mill for those MPs against the involvement of Huawei in UK's G5 system.

(Vodafone and BT representatives aid it would take 5 years to strip Huawei's current equipment out of the system without causing major disruption)

All grist to the mill for those MPs against the involvement of Huawei in UK's G5 system.
(Vodafone and BT representatives aid it would take 5 years to strip Huawei's current equipment out of the system without causing major disruption)
According to members of the Tin Foil Hat special forces brigade there are really small Chinese spies who live in the Huawei equipment and send daily reports to Beijing on all our conversations...

:tumbleweed:

Surely the same sized spies (or maybe smaller - the increased cost might allow extra miniaturization...) are fitted in the Chinese factories that make icrap?

WCMUT was Mrs Nod setting up her new printer and me being able to install the driver on my desktop PC with NO problems!

Sewed a couple of buttons on my shirt! The big, bright LED strip light over the cooker made all the difference. I'm convinced that thread has got thicker and the holes in needles smaller since the last time I did this...

Button needles and thread TZ70 P1030677.JPG

I ordered something from Amazon yesterday PM,
( Free) Delivery due Thur/ Fri.
No problem no rush.

1st email Fri Eve due ( this) Sunday !
Next email arrived this morning its out for delivery eta 10:45 -13:45
That's pretty good service (y)
(Assuming it does turn up of course :D )

They'll leave it in your designated safe place - the bin at Your Number, 2 roads away!

I changed my second ever tap yesterday and DIYing it has saved several hundred pounds over getting a plumber in. At first I was baffled by the terminology and pipe sizes but now I can walk into the plumbers merchant and buy what I need :D They're not like years ago when you could just change a washer.

We've had two taps fail. The first just started to drip and the second, in the kitchen although appearing to work cause the pipes to vibrate when the toilet was flushed upstairs and the bathroom basin tap was turned on. Given the length of time since we had the kitchen and bathrooms done I suppose these failures are understandable but the only remaining tap worries me as it's on the bath and if that goes I'll have to work out how to get the bath panel off but I could pay a plumber with what I've saved doing the other two myself :D

Talk about a roller coaster ride! After having our flights cancelled by Tui a couple of days ago, I searched for replacements, even looking into driving down (6 days each way, 8 hours per day...) to no avail. Mrs Nod has spent a fair amount of today looking and has booked us on more sociably timed flights both ways and with an extra few days tacked on to our normal 2 weeks. Just hope that I don't have to post in the WAMT thread again...

. Just hope that I don't have to post in the WAMT thread again...

You mean when it's cancelled because they won't accept UK visitors with the virus still spreading
and you can't get your money back ?
I really can't see the attraction in putting other people at risk just so you can have a couple of weeks away

Last edited:
Mrs F installed the Ring doorbell. It's going to make things a lot easier for me when she's out.

Quite impressed with the camera as well. This was at 9.30pm

IMG_1093.jpg

And just now

IMG_1094.jpg

Ordered some woodworking clamps last night from an online store. Delivery was in 1-3 days (but free) as I didn’t want to pay the extra £10 for next day delivery. Arrived today less than twelve hours after ordering.

Impressive.

Sharing a bottle of champagne and a Turkish takeaway on our wedding anniversary.

The electric version lets you plug your phone in to charge. Could you get six points for that?

My furlough ends in 2 weeks after 4 months. Well, sort of. I'm going back for 3 days a week (working from home) and will get 80% pay for the other 2 but hopefully, that's just in the short term.

My sons girlfriend (she works in retail) returned to work full time a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the footfall in her store (in a large enclosed shopping centre) is still well down so she has been told from next month she is being furloughed 1 day a week, on full pay.

Mildly annoying that the light/fan switch in the bathroom decided to be unreliable but cheering that ordering, collecting and fitting the replacement took under an hour. Of course, the original is now seemingly working perfectly...

Back