WCMUT....what cheered me up today

The road cars used to be road tested up and back down the M1 at dead of night. Rumours of the local chief constable driving fresh Astons remain unconfirmed!
There is a very long very straight piece of road behind Salcey Forest ( Northants)
I don't go "that way" anymore.
But I've often driven it in the past and seen opposing "cameras" either side of the road.
Not I'm not saying they they are using that for speed / acceleration times but when one comes past you, it makes you wonder WTF was that ;)

The road cars used to be road tested up and back down the M1 at dead of night.
Indeed; for instance, AC Cars testing their Le Mans race-prepared 7 litre V8 AC Cobra Coupe on the M1 in June 1964, where it allegedly reached speeds of up to 185mph near Watford Gap services - which was perfectly legal in those days. In 1965 a 'temporary' 70mph speed limit was brought in and, after being extended twice more, this temporary speed limit was made permanent in 1967; this being announced by Labour MP Barbara Castle, who was Transport Minister at the time, and who, somewhat ironically, couldn't drive! So how's that for trivia? :)

Last edited:
Quite a personal one for me today, managed to intubate a 12 week premature baby on the first attempt today. Cheered me up anyway :)

Well done Paul, the work people like you do has always amazed me. You should really be proud of yourself that's a huge stepping-stone I'm sure - keep up the good work. (y) :D

Just finished our first 1,000 piece jigsaw. We bought two from a charity shop for £1 each. To be honest I was worried there'd be pieces missing but thankfully they were all there. I think we'll have a few days off before we start the next.

Newswatch on BBC breakfast on a Saturday morning!

Gems like - People writing in complain that the word jab is too harsh and should be scrapped to describe administration of the vaccine :LOL:.

Honestly makes me feel better at 7.45am

They should replace it with 'stab' :naughty:

Prick?

I remember when they used to say
"you will only feel a little prick"
And now the word "scratch" replaces prick
I think a scratch can be worse than a prick tbh
:D

It used to be "small prick" but was replaced with "sharp scratch". I'm convinced they changed it because of all the sniggering! :LOL:

It used to be "small prick" but was replaced with "sharp scratch". I'm convinced they changed it because of all the sniggering! :LOL:
And now of course half the forum is reminded of the Ainsley Herriot meme :D

Sorry, meant to post that in the thread in talk nature...

Finally finding something that actually stops glasses misting up when wearing a mask :D

Reactions: Nod
Last edited:
massive problem with an ebayer, they promised to refund me ... Nothing so I started a ebay dispute.
Ebay put the case on hold for some strange reason ..
That was about 6 days ago,
I started a PP dispute, this morning, 3 hours later the funds are back in my account (y)

A ring at my doorbell - and there , dressed as Christmas Elves were a young couple from my Church

handed in a wee bag and off they went

Inside the bag

A 3ins cube Christmas cake - beeeeeautifully decorated
a pot of red berry jam
6 individual Chocolates

EVERYTHING was handmade by Joanne - a most accomplished baker and confectioner - everything at their wedding feast last year [ the first wedding in our Parish ] had been made by her :)

That's really made my day !!

I've posted this here because it doesn't warrant a separate thread. It didn't cheer me up really but I wondered if anyone has seen these signs in their area.

Today we drove from Helston, SW Cornwall to Hayle on the A394..We pass through some hamlets and invariably they have a 30mph zone. My wife is very good at keeping to the speed limit but we set the speed alert to whatever the limit is. We' d just gone into a 30mph zone at 28mph when a large sign on the opposite side of the road activated with a ' Thank you...and the registration number of our car. I've never seen that before.

I've posted this here because it doesn't warrant a separate thread. It didn't cheer me up really but I wondered if anyone has seen these signs in their area.

Today we drove from Helston, SW Cornwall to Hayle on the A394..We pass through some hamlets and invariably they have a 30mph zone. My wife is very good at keeping to the speed limit but we set the speed alert to whatever the limit is. We' d just gone into a 30mph zone at 28mph when a large sign on the opposite side of the road activated with a ' Thank you...and the registration number of our car. I've never seen that before.

ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition. It's used a fair bit nowadays, especially in a lot of car parks where it's used to calculate how long you stayed.

ANPR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition. It's used a fair bit nowadays, especially in a lot of car parks where it's used to calculate how long you stayed.

I'm aware of ANPR Marc ..mainly in relation to police speed checks and other traffic offences not to mention vehicles on a criminal activity alert list and as you say,car parks but not used like this. I was wondering if anyone else had seen it used like this It's usually just a 'Slow' message..no individual car identified . You have to wonder where it's going next.

Last edited:
I'm aware of ANPR Marc ..mainly in relation to police speed checks and other traffic offences not to mention vehicles on a criminal activity alert list and as you say,car parks but not used like this. I was wondering if anyone else had seen it used like this It's usually just a 'Slow' message..no individual car identified . You have to wonder where it's going next.

Y*es, I've seen it a couple of times like that

I'm aware of ANPR Marc ..mainly in relation to police speed checks and other traffic offences not to mention vehicles on a criminal activity alert list
A few years ago, a certain stretch of an M-way used to display on the over head signs "Car Make and reg is speeding or driving like a twatt " ( para phrasing)
They had to stop because too many people complained that their human rights were being abused.

With all these camera's everywhere these days it wouldn't surprise me if it returned at some point..

Cheered me up doesn't do this justice. How about What Got Me Doing A Happy Dance Around The kitchen Today :D

I'll be 60 next year and I've just received a pension estimate from a previous employer... and... WoWza! I was not expecting this! Even the cash payout and reduced pension option looks good and the pension more in line with what I expected although to be honest I don't need a cash payout and don't want the hassle of looking for investments or alternative pension providers so I'll probably just stick to the beyond what I expected (thank you) basic pension they're offering.

I was working for a company called DPCE and Granada Computer Services bought us out. I didn't work for them for all that long but it was a final salary scheme which may explain why it looks good to me. Not that I know too much about pensions or investments but I'm well happy :D

In those days I was single and a complete workaholic. I often left home at 6am and didn't get home until 9 or 10pm and worked weekends too. I didn't have time to spend my wages never mind worry about pensions but it all seems to have gone well even though I never noticed it happening :D

Last edited:
Cheered me up doesn't do this justice. How about What Got Me Doing A Happy Dance Around The kitchen Today :D

I'll be 60 next year and I've just received a pension estimate from a previous employer... and... WoWza! I was not expecting this! Even the cash payout and reduced pension option looks good and the pension more in line with what I expected although to be honest I don't need a cash payout and don't want the hassle of looking for investments or alternative pension providers so I'll probably just stick to the beyond what I expected (thank you) basic pension they're offering.

I was working for a company called DPCE and Granada Computer Services bought us out. I didn't work for them for all that long but it was a final salary scheme which may explain why it looks good to me. Not that I know too much about pensions or investments but I'm well happy :D

In those days I was single and a complete workaholic. I often left home at 6am and didn't get home until 9 or 10pm and worked weekends too. I didn't have time to spend my wages never mind worry about pensions but it all seems to have gone well even though I never noticed it happening :D

You pension would have been a lot better but for the fact that one of Gordon Brown's first acts when the Labour Party won the 1997 general election was to rob the private sector pension funds of tens of millions of pounds.

You pension would have been a lot better but for the fact that one of Gordon Brown's first acts when the Labour Party won the 1997 general election was to rob the private sector pension funds of tens of millions of pounds.

Oh dear. The Cad. Hopefully the money was used well but I don't suppose there's any guarantee, no mater who's in power.

I haven't had full time paid employment for over 10 years now as I left that world intending to volunteer for something but instead became a carer for a loved one who increasingly needs help to the point of not being left alone for any length of time now. So, I've lived off all that money I didn't have time to spend when I was a workaholic but the interest rate these days is pretty poor. Savers have been hammered with low interest rates for a long time.

Still. Many aren't in my comfortable position so I do hope that plundered money was used well.

A few years ago, a certain stretch of an M-way used to display on the over head signs "Car Make and reg is speeding or driving like a twatt " ( para phrasing)
They had to stop because too many people complained that their human rights were being abused.

With all these camera's everywhere these days it wouldn't surprise me if it returned at some point..

Yes.. I thought you might be paraphrasing...lol. It does feel intrusive but a case of whatever it takes , I suppose. I'm very much support any road safety measures but even I felt a bit uneasy about it,as did my wife.

I would think a vehicle would have to be going 80mph before that kicked in . Drive at 70-75 and a lot of cars go speeding by.

I would think a vehicle would have to be going 80mph before that kicked in .
That's what I'm led to believe, when the "side camera's" on M-ways kick in, unless the speed limit has been lowered.

Drive at 70-75 and a lot of cars go speeding by.
I often see them early in the morning doing Mach 1 down a local by pass ...

At 70-75 as shown on most speedometers, you're likely to be at 65-70. Worth checking indicated speed against actual (as shown by a GPS device.)

At 70-75 as shown on most speedometers, you're likely to be at 65-70.
At 75 I'm doing 73 according to GPS. I've been past a few mobile talivans at that with no recourse.
But I do usefully move to the outside lane as I guarantee the people in front of me will hit the brakes when they are less than 100 yards away.
Too late if you are speeding, they can get you 1 mile away.
Don't ask :D

At 70-75 as shown on most speedometers, you're likely to be at 65-70. Worth checking indicated speed against actual (as shown by a GPS device.)

That's quite a discrepancy. Would the dashcam do to check ? I suppose it would as it's not connected to the vehicle as such,even hard-wired as ours is. I don't know tbh. I'll do a check next time we're out,though. Just a thought. The car sat nav is GPS but I don't recall seeing it recording our speed.

Last edited:
At 75 I'm doing 73 according to GPS. I've been past a few mobile talivans at that with no recourse.
But I do usefully move to the outside lane as I guarantee the people in front of me will hit the brakes when they are less than 100 yards away.
Too late if you are speeding, they can get you 1 mile away.
Don't ask :D

I was very lucky re a mobile speed detection van last year. I was on a dual carriageway which is subject to a 40mph limit. At the end is a roundabout and then a normal road (30mph) . I was keeping to the limit and behind an old lorry. The darned thing shouldn't have been on the road because of its exhaust fumes. I could 'taste' them. After the roundabout,which was a couple of hundred metres away, was a single carriageway which I knew was busy. I didn't want to be stuck behind that vehicle so I thought I'd be ok taking a chance for that last short stretch. Of course, I'd been unable to see much ahead having been behind it so I overtook it and as I was passing the front of it I saw the speed van on the left. It was a long two weeks waiting for the fixed penalty notice..lol. The vehicle had shielded me enough not to be detected . I'd probably got to 50mph a definite 'gottcha'. speed.:)

On a straight road a speeding vehicle can be detected by as far as 2 miles away depending on the type of unit being used.

A ring at my doorbell - and there , dressed as Christmas Elves were a young couple from my Church

handed in a wee bag and off they went

Inside the bag

A 3ins cube Christmas cake - beeeeeautifully decorated
a pot of red berry jam
6 individual Chocolates

EVERYTHING was handmade by Joanne - a most accomplished baker and confectioner - everything at their wedding feast last year [ the first wedding in our Parish ] had been made by her :)

That's really made my day !!

OH MY !! I've just had the first slice of the Christmas cake -- that is really a Christmas cake - full of fruit , wonderful flavour - very very yummy and addictive

Back