WCMUT....what cheered me up today

I meant to post this in the week but this morning I had the same brekky and for those who have a taste for german sausage these are pretty well identical but even better I've found a mustard that is almost identical to what I had in Germany. In Germany I had Thomy Senf and to get that here it's £9 for a tube the size of a toothpaste tube. I think I mentioned it in another thread but didn't post any links. We have a ciabatta roll each with it which my wife heats in the oven a 6 minutes 190C..(Electric) then adds butter. I say 'it'..singular., One is all you need..:D

The history
Ludwig Schweisfurth opened a butcher shop in the German town of Herten, from where the name Herta originates, in 1902. This local shop flourished and grew into a factory. By 1963 Herta had spread across Europe, and was sold to Nestlé by Karl Ludwig Schweisfurth in 1986. Nestlé later launched the Herta brand in the UK in 1988, and had become the most popular frankfurter brand by 2000, selling over 150 million.

So..here's what I (we) had. Sometimes Sainsburys don't have these jumbo-sized one which are the size I had in Germany..so we get a pack of thinner ones.

The mustard . Should be about £1.85 Tescos £1.80. 396 gms. There's a smaller one at 226gms.

This is Thomy at Amazon £9.99 :( Mittelscharf means mild sharp(hot)

In addition to my post re the German sausage.

At lunchtime we had homemade veggie soup and we had to use the last jumbo sausage so it wasa cut in to small segments and dropped into the soup to simmer. makes quite a strong taste, though but different.

Coming back from the dentist and it not costing me a fortune :cool:

Yesterday, my wife received a text from our dentist stati g that she was overdue her annual check and that they are covid-secure. I was having a couple of treatments when lockdown came in last summer and I just don't want to take a risk at a dentists just yet. Not with the vaccine in sight.

In addition to my post re the German sausage.

At lunchtime we had homemade veggie soup and we had to use the last jumbo sausage so it wasa cut in to small segments and dropped into the soup to simmer. makes quite a strong taste, though but different.
I was once served (in Germany) a jumbo frankfurter laid across a soup plate of split pea soup, the only cutlery supplied was a spoon. Cutting the sausage with a spoon was a challenge.

Yesterday, my wife received a text from our dentist stati g that she was overdue her annual check and that they are covid-secure. I was having a couple of treatments when lockdown came in last summer and I just don't want to take a risk at a dentists just yet. Not with the vaccine in sight.

Based on my visit there last week its probably safer there than most places!!

WCMUT - Walking into a bank with a cheque to pay in while wearing a mask. Made me laugh as I walked in but decided against saying "gimme the money"

Based on my visit there last week its probably safer there than most places!!

I'll have anothger think about it, then as I need a filling. Fortunately, it's not causing any pain.

Last edited:
Depending on whether it's a private practice or NHS, there might be an extra charge to cover the extra PPE needed for an "aerosol causing procedure". IIRC, my (private) dentist charges an extra £45.

Depending on whether it's a private practice or NHS, there might be an extra charge to cover the extra PPE needed for an "aerosol causing procedure". IIRC, my (private) dentist charges an extra £45.

Would you believe it. Since my post a small piece of tooth has come adrift. I was eating a few nuts/sultanas and felt something hard and sharp. Only a tiny piece.

It's a private practice. £45 is a large increase. I've just looked at the price list. A filling is now £115 . Before Covid I'd been for a check up and I was told I needed a couple of treatments. One is is described as a 'posterior composite filling'..£145.Another one is £190. I don't go very often so I can't recall what a reular filling cost. I'm sure about £80. I always moan about prices and my wife always says that I've lost touch and things have moved on....like increased prices. She doesn't think £2.50 or £3 is a lot for a slice of fancy cake not that we have it often. I think it's way too much and discourage her from buying any and instead encourage her to bake them. Better quality and better value. :)

General DentistryMembers PriceStandard Price
White Fillings from£103£115
Extractions from£85.50£95
Porcelain Onlays from£431.50£480
Emax crown from£522£580
Bridge (per unit) from £540£600
Root canal treatment from£241.20 - £374.40£268 - £416
Dentures from£409.50£455

I fully believe it - at lunchtime the day before lockdown 1 came into effect, Mrs Nod lost a filling... Luckily, her (NHS) dentist squeezed her in that afternoon and fixed it.

I'd get it sorted before any pain sets in or the tooth disintegrates further.

Not today but last night.

The Old Vic have been streaming live performances over a good few months. Last night was not live but a recording made during the live performance last year.

We watched Faith Healer by Brian Friel. A three handed with Michael Sheen, David Threlfall and Indira Varma.

It consists of four monologues with outstanding performances from all three. I didn't know Indira Varma but have thought for a few years Michael Sheen and David Threlfall are two of the best actors we have.

Link to the Old Vic Site - https://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2020/old-vic-in-camera

Dave

Heating & hot water after 11 days without!

What a delight huh? The things we take for granted . . .

A month ago I moved into a new flat with a wet room, easy wheelchair access and gas central heating. For the five years before that, I lived in what was effectively a 'shed', with no hot water and electric storage heaters (hot all morning, cold all afternoon and evening). I still have to do a quick reality check each morning to make sure I'm not dreaming.

What a delight huh? The things we take for granted . . .

A month ago I moved into a new flat with a wet room, easy wheelchair access and gas central heating. For the five years before that, I lived in what was effectively a 'shed', with no hot water and electric storage heaters (hot all morning, cold all afternoon and evening). I still have to do a quick reality check each morning to make sure I'm not dreaming.

It's the old saying (and part of a song ;)) that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Reactions: Sky
Yesterday Mrs WW made her 3rd batch of home made ice cream. This time it was raspberry and it was the best ever and the best ice cream I've ever had. I think I'd prefer the chocolate chip she made last time but with the consistency of the raspberry. I expect the next batch to be just as good :D

She's very exact about it all and said that it'd be ready at 9pm so that's when we ate it. We had to eat it at that precise time. It all follows the science :D

What does Mrs WW use as the custard base? For a quick ice cream, I've been known to use a carton of Ambrosia but have also made "real" custard from scratch. Finding a good use for the egg whites isn't easy (other than at commercialmas when we make royal icing.)

I don't think there's any custard in it. Afaik it's just cream and condensed milk and whatever is added such as chocolate, vanilla or raspberry although the raspberry one had sugar added too. Whatever it is it's lovely, the last two batches have been best icecream I've ever had.

She gets recipes off youtube.

Reactions: Nod
WCMUT ? I thought this was more appropriate here. Biden signed an executive order halting the oil/gas drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Hopefully, it will be abandoned altogether.

The other news item that cheered me greatly was that Nissan have announced the saving of 6000 jobs at their Sunderland plant because the EU deal we struck allows them to build the large batteries for the next generation of their electric cars close to their car factory there.They can now export the cars to the EU tarrif-free. Relief for the whole region,I'd have thought on the basis of economic trickle down.

Last edited:
WCMUT ? I thought this was more appririate here. Biden signed an executive order halting the oil/gas drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Hopefully it will be abandoned altogether.

The other news item that cheered me greatly was that Nissan have announced the saving of 6000 jobs at their Sunderland plant because the EU deal we struck allows them to build the large batteries for the next generation of their electric cars close to their car factory there.They can now export the cars to the EU tarrif-free. Relief for the whole region,I'd have thought on the basis of economic trickle down.

Now that is two bits of good news :)

1/2" of snow which was pretty. Even better, all gone by the time I got up!

WAMT is probably an Understatement today. New two day old car, VS a skip in an adjacent parking bay, clipped the skip while reversing. The excess I now have to pay, would have gone towards a new camera that I had been looking at. Not feeling very good at the moment. :mad::(

Only now just got the car back after I bumped it. Took the car out for a test run, went to the recycling centre to drop off some rubbish.
Feeling in a good mood. :)

Managed to avoid all the skips at the dump? :p

Made a batch of hummus this morning - had it finished by the time Mrs Nod got home from her early class at 09:00. Finished cooking and blending - even I can't eat a kilo of hummus before breakfast!

Home made eggless pancakes for breakfast with the Beatles then Glen Miller on the stereo :D

Now listening to A nightingale sang in Berkeley square :D

My Amazon delivery will be by DPD tomorrow which means I’ll get a 1 hour slot and proper tracking. I can remember Amazon using DPD before.

Looking at spice jars on Amazon and being entertained by the questions.

Q: Can you buy replacement lids

A: No idea, sorry

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I always like reading the reviews of cast iron cookware where buyers complain they rust after their first use and warn off others,

Kitchen GAS having kicked in, I needed wanted a KitchenAid smallish food processor so ordered one at lunchtime. Yesterday. It's arrived! Just being washed as I type (I was beaten to the washing up bowl...)

Kitchen GAS having kicked in, I needed wanted a KitchenAid smallish food processor so ordered one at lunchtime. Yesterday. It's arrived! Just being washed as I type (I was beaten to the washing up bowl...)

She will be using it now ...

Back