wedding photography help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
i apologise if I'm posting in the wrong area. I recently got married and was waiting to receive my pics but my photographer has told us that because of other people's flashes inside and outdoors over half of the pics she took had been 'burnt' and is unable to 'rescue' them. Can anyone advise? Should a professional be able to cope with a couple of flashes? Are they easily fixed? Obviously very sentimental pics and unbelievable so many are destroyed. Confused!

I would wait for a consesus of opinion on here but I would be very surprised if other camera flashes have ruined the pictures your photographer took.

I have seen pictures showing other flashes going off at the exact instant the image was captured, but for it to happen many times - probably not.

If the photographer was relying on long exposures and not using flash themselves, more of a possibility, but this is not I would suggest how most wedding photographers would operate.

Also there are lots of wedding photographers on here and this is not a problem I have heard mentioned before.

Sorry can't be of more help.

David

maybe the odd one - I reckon you get flash clash which affects your exposure maybe once at a wedding, but half of them. Sounds like rubbish to me

It can occasionally be a problem if there are other people with external flashes. Never really noticed a problem with compact camera flashes. The only time I've really noticed a problem is with the shots of the couple coming back down the aisle, when their flash is much closer to the couple than I am. Maybe a couple of times on first dance photos other people's flashes can spoil the look of the photo. (Sometimes they can actually be used to make a photo more interesting but that's a different issue.)

So yes I've had problems before with other people's flashes, but the key thing is that I've never had it affect more than a handful of shots at any wedding (and more than one or two is rare). It is frustrating to lose a shot that would otherwise have been good, but it never means I don't have any photos of that part of the wedding. I always shoot multiple shots of any event in the day.

I'd also be very surprised if it meant the photos were entirely 'burned out'. Other flashes can spoil them, but that would sound to be like an exaggeration.

All in all it sounds to me like an excuse to cover up a mistake on his part. Possibly something like forgetting to switch ISO when coming out of the church or having exposure/flash compensation on +2 and not realising.

maybe the odd one - I reckon you get flash clash which affects your exposure maybe once at a wedding, but half of them. Sounds like rubbish to me

I would pretty much concur with this, in fact other than the occasional 'star' from a flash in the background facing my camera going off at exactly the same time, I don't recall ever having a pic over exposed to the point of burning caused by other peoples flashes. :cautious:

Load of crap. The photographer has screwed up.

Couple of minor questions:

1.Did you view previous work they had shot?
2.How much did you pay them?

fracster said:
Load of crap. The photographer has screwed up.

Couple of minor questions:

1.Did you view previous work they had shot?
2.How much did you pay them?

What he said

Take for example the press photographic pack when they are mobbing someone over something. All those flashguns going off yet they still manage to produce a picture, so your photographer is talking a load of BS.

If he/she is contracted to produce photos of your wedding and has failed to present acceptable photos, then he/she should have been insured to cover such eventualities and although it is impossible to reproduce the wedding event he/she should be able to meet any claim you make.
If you put some up on here there are members who are very very good at Photoshop and may be able to save your most precious ones

Realspeed

Last edited:
Here's a chart showing the actual duration of a single flash: http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/2008/07/12/canon-580ex-flash-duration/

Can't comment on the accuracy, but have no reason to doubt it.

Extract:

1/1 power = 1/1000 second
1/2 power = 1/2000
1/4 power = 1/4000
1/8 power = 1/9000
1/16 power = 1/15000
1/32 power = 1/21000
1/64 power = 1/30000
1/128 power = 1/35000

So, at full power, a flash will last 1/1000th of a second. What are the odds of another flash going off in that exact same 1/1000th?

I've seen it a very, very few times, and do wonder if this is not another flash going off, but the reflector of another flash in line with mine (similar principal to `red eye`)

I'd say your snapper made a balls of it. Ask to see the original files and look at the exif data. This will show what happened.

Agree with all of the above.....Better chance of winning Euro millions that having 50% of the shots ruined by other flashes!

Ask for all the original files....bet they will have a sudden change of thought

Hope it works out ok for you. If you can get the original files there are some magicians on here that can fix most things.

It does sound to me as though your photographer has messed up somehow, as the chances of getting more than 2 or 3 shots during the day at the exact same time as another flash is very remote. Flash compensations settings, or accidentally leaving the camera in manual exposure mode instead of aperture priority for example could cause massive overexposure problems. A quick review on the rear LCD screen after any of the shots would have shown the problem immediately, especially if their camera highlights any blown areas (some flash to indicate areas of lost detail). They should have been able to spot the problem at the time, realise what had gone wrong and fix things immediately. On the day there might even have been the chance to re-shoot some shots.

I would make an appointment with them to review all the images they have, and would certainly be looking at the terms of the contract signed and looking at a claim against their insurance if you are not happy with the results.

How do the media go on when there is loads of pap's shooting at the same time!

Jordan

Sarah, you are being led down the garden path by your photography with this Cock & Bull story. Its an excuse, and not a very good one for poor workmanship, if he/she has lost 50% of the images of your big day it's time to get some professional legal advice.

Ian

It is possible for the odd shot to be spoiled if theres other people shooting (usually with high power flashes) but it's not very common, I shoot weddings all the time and can't actually ever remember any issues with it.
I suppose if a lot of guests were blazing away perhaps behind the B+G while he's shooting from the other side it might be a problem but half the photos ruined.... I can't see that myself.

Could someone else at the wedding have been using an optically triggered external flash?

If the photographer is a member of this forum, this could turn ugly ...

I agree though that I never had any photos ruined by simultaneous flash from other cameras so it is unlikely that 50% of the photos are gone because of this.

This sounds very suspect to me.... The odd pic yes, but spoil half the images so bad that they are burnt out? Unless the guests were yielding a bunch of profoto heads?

Something's wrong, I would question the photographer further...

Get one of the 'burnt' images off them and check the EXIF data. Probably a wrong setting left on the camera, EV or ISO as already mentioned. I've seen this done before.

Steve

Last edited:
Lets be honest, The photographer has screwed up here and its pretty clear that you have good cause for compensation.

Although on the plus side, IF the photo's were ruined by other guests flashes then hopefully they should all have some good photo's for you to replace the wrecked one's from the tog.

I'd definitely ask the photographer for more information and examples of the over exposed photo's.

Good Luck.

As a lot of people have already said, one or 2, maybe, but over half?! Not a chance, unless they were doing very long exposures, but that seems unlikely.

What I still find odd is that they didn't notice until later. Surely they'd have checked the photos on the LCD every now and again, and taken steps if even one photo was completely 'burnt'.

Just re-read your post as well, indoors I could see happening once or twice (assuming there was a paparazzi-style press junket thing going on ;) ), but outdoors too? Just no.

Sounds like the photographer either messed up and didn't even check, or could have even had a memory card or camera failure perhaps? And rather than admitting it, or turning to their backup equipment, they're now trying to cover it up.

Just my views from the info we've got though

I find it strange that the outdoor ones could have been "burnt out" by other people with a little fill flash. I'd agree legal advice is the way forward.

Why are people suggesting legal advice when they do not know if a contract is in place, the photographer was paid or anything else for that matter?

Because the photographer has failed to deliver a service which he/she promised to supply. It's not the sort of thing that you can just re-shoot. Wedding photography is a tough game and if you want to get into it you must be prepared to get burned if you get it wrong.

On the other hand, I also believe that you get what you pay for so if it was 'A guy with a camera from the pub for £100' then there's no ground for complaint or compensation.

Because the photographer has failed to deliver a service which he/she promised to supply. It's not the sort of thing that you can just re-shoot. Wedding photography is a tough game and if you want to get into it you must be prepared to get burned if you get it wrong.

On the other hand, I also believe that you get what you pay for so if it was 'A guy with a camera from the pub for £100' then there's no ground for complaint or compensation.

Nobody knows that,do they?

And yes, i`m fully aware of contractual obligations.So your second point could well be more than valid.We don`t know..................:)

hmm, having been a 2nd shooter at 6 weddings now, it's happened to me twice..... given 300-500 pics taken per wedding....by me as a 2nd.

Obviously there are instances where more likely to happen, eg B&G coming back down the aisle, and instances where unlikely to happen - as in today 3 yr old page boy versus v large chicken (I kid you not!)

But I would say over 2% is "cojones" let alone half.

Why are people suggesting legal advice when they do not know if a contract is in place, the photographer was paid or anything else for that matter?

If it was a friend or some one doing it for free i dont think the OP would be here asking th question so asuming the photographer was hired to do the job is a very fair assumption.

Even if a contract was not signed this is clearly failing to deliver. I dont think legal advice is needed i think i would simply demand a refund or take them to small claims.

It is pretty clear this is a case of an incompetent photographer trying to make excuses for the F up.

So far this year I have had it once. It was cake cutting and I was shooting with natural light. Even the high ISO did not fully burn it out. It could have been recovered and worked ok in black and white, BUT I took multiple shots of the cake cutting.

I think your photographer has royally messed up here. Sorry to hear it.

If it was a friend or some one doing it for free i dont think the OP would be here asking th question so asuming the photographer was hired to do the job is a very fair assumption.

Even if a contract was not signed this is clearly failing to deliver. I dont think legal advice is needed i think i would simply demand a refund or take them to small claims.

It is pretty clear this is a case of an incompetent photographer trying to make excuses for the F up.

It could have been "some bloke from the pub who did it for £50", we simply don`t know. If it was, then what is the point of seeking legal redress? If it was a bonafide wedding photographer, then yes, seek compensation.

I agree with your other points,especially the last one......:D

thank you for all your comments its helpful to hear professional opinions. We paid £450 for a digital package so no prints just the discs. I'm very confused and was concerned it maybe the case that it wasn't down to other flashes. We don't have a contract with her, just invoices and letters confirming her services for the day. I didn't think we'd paid too little although now starting to wonder?

£450 is right at the very bottom end of the pricing for a wedding photographer. You may get very lucky and book someone very good, who's just building a portfolio in their first few paid weddings for that, but it likely someone charging that little won't be any good, as you've found out sadly.

I still think they are lying about why they've burned out half the photos and it may be worth pushing harder on this and trying for your money back

thank you for all your comments its helpful to hear professional opinions. We paid £450 for a digital package so no prints just the discs. I'm very confused and was concerned it maybe the case that it wasn't down to other flashes. We don't have a contract with her, just invoices and letters confirming her services for the day. I didn't think we'd paid too little although now starting to wonder?

Not all the members who have made comments are professional photographers I suspect, and without seeing the images it's difficult to make any real comments other than general observations.
Did you see any of her work before booking? and is she trading as a photographer or is it someone you have been put in touch with. Has she made any claims about being professional?

£450 may be down at the bottom of the ladder, but it is still quite a lot of money to pay, especially as you have no end product. As stated above, is the photographer trading as such?

I would certainly be looking to get some money back at the very least.

Out of interest, have you seen any if the photographs?

Shame it has happened on your wedding day no matter what.

£450 is right at the very bottom end of the pricing for a wedding photographer. You may get very lucky and book someone very good, who's just building a portfolio in their first few paid weddings for that, but it likely someone charging that little won't be any good, as you've found out sadly.

I still think they are lying about why they've burned out half the photos and it may be worth pushing harder on this and trying for your money back

Without getting in to an argument about pricing vs quality, after all, I've not had any complaints :p I do agree that it sounds like they are lying about the issues.

If you like, ask them for all of the RAW files on a dvd so that they can be looked at by a professional to see what can be done with them. If they shot in jpeg you are likely stuffed but some can still be rescued. You can then post them to me and I will have a look at them for you and see just how bad the damage is.

If they refuse or give you any grief, ask for their insurance company details (hope they have it) and it might scare them in to providing them. Did you see examples of their work before hand? do yours equal them in quality?

If you aren't happy, at the very least you deserve copies of them + money back in full.

There must have been one hell of a lot of flashes going off to lose half the shots. Half of your guests must have keeled over with epileptic fits if that had actually happened!!

Really sorry to say this, your photographer has cocked up and spun you a yarn.

It doesn't quite work like that, only a small number of epileptics are affected and the frequency of the flashing is also a factor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back