Wedding Photography Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
GF
Edit My Images
No
:eek:
In a few weeks I am going to be the official photographer at someone's wedding. Doesn't sound too bad, but
1) I don't know the people, or anyone there and
2) I have never been to a wedding in my life before.

Has anyone got any advice that could halp me, becuase I am a little worried now.... Is there anything that I should particularly aim to take pictures of?

George

Hi George

make a date to meet the couple
1st to get to know them
2nd to ask what kind of shots they are after .and give them any ideas you have.
check out the venue to see if there are and position's that have a wow factor. meet the vicar to ask where you can take any photo`s .
if you could have someone with you to get the groups together it helps a great deal .
this way while they get ever one together you can take extra shots . candid shots work great against the normal group shots.

if you can take 2 of everything . and plenty of flash cards 2 to 4 gig .and battery's.
take some pegs or clips in case it is a windy day for the brides veil etc .
make sure you know your camera settings so you can change in a flash .
natural light is great if you have it but get used to flash photography . the first weddind i did rained all blo*dy day .
and try to stay calm . i did my first one last year . then my 2nd and third .
i have had 3 more bookings form them for this year and 2 bookings for next year . so if guest`s like what they see more work will follow. next year i will start to place adds .

it is a tough job as it has to be right , but what a buzz.
oh one more point make sure they know you will need feeding if they want you there all day .

i`m sure some of the pros on here will have loads more idea`s to help .
looking at your flicker you have a good eye
i`m sure you will be fine
good list here from (snowball ) another guy on the forum

http://www.cinderellastudios.com/wedding_shot_list.htm

Rog (y)

Thanks for all the great advice - I will bear all of that in mind :)
Equipment wise, I am sorted, I am bringing A Nikon D50 with a 50mm 1.8, A 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300mm Telephoto. Also I am bringing a Cannon (40D I think) with the kit lens and a 70-200 F2.8 As a backup Camera - it it my IT teacher's camera....
I have got 6 batteries for the D50 and 5GB of Card Space. I have even cleaned the sensor on it!
I might have to borrow a flash off him too!
I don't think that I will be able to meet the couple, as they are in Tailand untill very soon before the wedding. I am meeting the Groom's parents though soon. I will try to get to the venue quite early on the day of the event to see it.

Thanks again!

See if you can borrow a few CF cards off him as well as 5Gb will disappear fairly quickly especially if you are taking repeated versions of the same shot to cover potential issues with them. If you are shooting RAW at full size on the 40D then you won't get a great deal of shots on 5Gb.

Also get some practice in with the 40D as well as you don't want to flounder with it should you need to use it.

to save starting a new thread!

at a wedding you have the group photo's done! now has anyone got a list of what groups are normally taken? i.e. bride family, groom's family!

The latest edition of PP has a whole section devoted tohow to shoot a wedding.

to save starting a new thread!

at a wedding you have the group photo's done! now has anyone got a list of what groups are normally taken? i.e. bride family, groom's family!

This was one someone on here mentioned a while back!
WEDDING SHOT LIST

Wedding Photography Shots Before the Ceremony
Wedding dress lying over a chair
Zipping up or buttoning the wedding dress
Mother of the bride fastening the bride's necklace
The bride's garter
The bride's veil
A close up of the bride's shoes peeking out from under the dress
Bride looking into a mirror
Bride looking out window
Bride and bridesmaids putting on makeup
Bride hugging parents
Bride touching up
Bride and parents leaving for ceremony
Groom tying tie
Groom looking into mirror
Bride looking out window
Groom pinning corsage/boutonniere on mother/father
Groom hugging parents

Wedding Photography Shots At the Ceremony
Outside of ceremony site
Guests walking into ceremony site
Bride and father entering ceremony site
Parents being seated
Grandparents being seated
Bridesmaids walking down the aisle
Groom waiting for bride
Altar during ceremony
Close up of bride, just before she makes her entrance
Bride and father walking down aisle
Groom seeing bride for first time
The back of bride and father walking down the aisle – with the groom waiting in the distance
Bride's father and Bride hugging at end of aisle
Shot of the audience from the bride and groom's point of view
Close up of bride and groom saying the vows
Wide shot of bride and groom saying the vows
Exchanging the rings
Close up of hands
The kiss
Signing the marriage license
Bride & Groom walking up the aisle
Receiving line
Bride & Groom outside on steps
Guests throwing confetti/rose petals/birdseed
Bride & Groom hugging guests, laughing, getting congratulations
Bride & Groom getting in car
Bride & Groom in back seat

Posed Wedding Photography Before the Reception (These can also be taken before the ceremony)
Bride alone (full length)
Bride with bridesmaids
Groom with bridesmaids
Bride with parents
Bride & Groom together
Bride & Groom with parents
Bride & Groom with families
Bride & Groom with entire wedding party
Groom with parents
Groom with best man

During the Reception
Outside of reception site
Bride & Groom arriving
Bride & Groom greeting guests
Table centerpieces
Table setting
Bride & Groom's table (head table)
Musicians or DJ
Guest book
Place card table
Closeup of bride and groom's place card
Wedding cake
Gift table
Decorations
A shot of bride & groom with guests at each table
Bride & Groom's first dance
Bride & Father dancing
Groom & Mother dancing
Guests dancing
Bride & Groom cutting the cake
Bride & Groom feeding each other cake
Speeches
Bride & Groom drinking champagne
Bride throwing bouquet
Groom retrieving garter
Groom tossing garter
Garter/Bouquet dance
The getaway car
Bride & Groom leaving party
Bride & Groom driving away

Spence

The last two I have covered the bride & groom supplied a list of the photographs they wanted. There were specifics such as the bride and groom around a candle in memory of a relative who was no longer with them.... At the second wedding the bride gave the best man the job of calling everyone into place - much easier as I didn't know who other people were. Two very enjoyable and successful days.

:eek:
In a few weeks I am going to be the official photographer at someone's wedding. Doesn't sound too bad, but
1) I don't know the people, or anyone there and
2) I have never been to a wedding in my life before.

Has anyone got any advice that could halp me, becuase I am a little worried now.... Is there anything that I should particularly aim to take pictures of?

George

I think you should write down in some sort of word document what pictures you intend to take on the day, how much will prints cost, how much you will be paid ect.

just so that both parties know what to expect.

Regards Spence

Touching up who? And on her wedding day too....highly innapropriate...

Not if it is the groom and will only be in the personal album. we opted for video of this bit at our wedding. :D:p

I see this all the time on this site people who don't have a clue about being a wedding photographer asking for help as they don't know what to do at a wedding. It winds me up so much, I have been a wedding photographer for 17 years on my own and before that I learnt the trade from a pro for 5 years. It's so much more then taking a few snaps, I just cant believe that people ask these questions. I am not picking on you but I just think that if you don't know what to do then you should not be doing it. It's not right for the bride and groom and not what you should be doing. I get 20 or 30 calls a year from couples who have had pictures mested up by friends or family and they want me to play around with the pictures and give them a pro touch. I just have to say to them if you want pictures with a pro touch then you should hire a pro and if you want me to put the pictures right it's £100 per hour. This is the biggest day of a couples life and they trust the pictures to the chance of an amateur, crazy people.

perhaps people cant all ways afford some of the price's the pro's charge!

From what I know a lot of Brides and Grooms spend £200 on a car for 30 mins and try and scrimp on the pictures. Which is the most important a 30 min car ride or pictures that they will love for the rest of there lives.

The piece in PP is a joke, what a bunch of muppets they are at PP.

Thanks wasn't sure if it was that one or proffessional phorographer.;)

Spence

No worries. :)

If you are interested people have been "discussing" it's usefulness here.

I think i will still pick a copy up, could be an interesting read. :)

I have done several weddings and always make sure I have a set of step ladders just for extra height when taking groups shots etc.

I see this all the time on this site people who don't have a clue about being a wedding photographer asking for help as they don't know what to do at a wedding. It winds me up so much, I have been a wedding photographer for 17 years on my own and before that I learnt the trade from a pro for 5 years. It's so much more then taking a few snaps, I just cant believe that people ask these questions. I am not picking on you but I just think that if you don't know what to do then you should not be doing it. It's not right for the bride and groom and not what you should be doing. I get 20 or 30 calls a year from couples who have had pictures mested up by friends or family and they want me to play around with the pictures and give them a pro touch. I just have to say to them if you want pictures with a pro touch then you should hire a pro and if you want me to put the pictures right it's £100 per hour. This is the biggest day of a couples life and they trust the pictures to the chance of an amateur, crazy people.

:bang: This is So True it hurts to read it :bang:

Not meant to offend anyone but being a Pro doesn't mean that one never takes any poor images ... I have seen a few! :|
You can be an amateur with the know how and a very keen eye. :)

Not meant to offend anyone but being a Pro doesn't mean that one never takes any poor images ... I have seen a few! :|
You can be an amateur with the know how and a very keen eye. :)

But can a person who as never photograph a wedding cope under the pressure. It's not about having a keen eye, you just don't have a clue. Tell me what is the main tradition in posing a bride and groom ?.

But can a person who as never photograph a wedding cope under the pressure. It's not about having a keen eye, you just don't have a clue. Tell me what is the main tradition in posing a bride and groom ?.

is it bride on the left?

I didn't want to comment on this thread as I've not been doing weddings all that long and didn't think it was helpful to the OP to have a go. I do however agree with everything PapaLazarou has said and I worked my backside off with research and shadowing before taking on my first paid wedding.

I guess you're committed so I'd suggest getting some books off Amazon and reading like mad. They're not all good but if you're starting where you are you'll probably pick up tips from all of them. I'd also get phoning round some local (and less local) photographers to ask if you can shadow at short notice. You'll probably get knocked back by most, if not all, but it's worth trying.

And a well meaning friend gave me that PP article the other day. I smiled politely and binned it when they had left.

EDIT - And one other trick. Google the venue + wedding photographs. You might find some well meaning photographer has not password protected photos they have done there which means you can sometimes get a sneak at what others have done. They might be poor (I've seen some shockers doing this) but even they are helpful as they can give you ideas what not to do.

Papalazarou, I am is the same boat here, I have been asked by two couples to be their tog for the big day, I have not commited yet as I understand how hard it is for this kind of assignment. Perhaps you can give some insight into how we go about learning so they will not have to hire a pro to retouch at £100 an hour.

Papalazarou, I am is the same boat here, I have been asked by two couples to be their tog for the big day, I have not commited yet as I understand how hard it is for this kind of assignment. Perhaps you can give some insight into how we go about learning so they will not have to hire a pro to retouch at £100 an hour.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... and practice soem more.
as has been said, a lot is to be gained from experience in this field. you have to think, what would i say to the bride when i only got one shot right? you can keep you money? im sorry for ruining the biggest day of your life?

with experience and skill, you should be able to eliminate most of the risk from cocking up the entire day, but the problem comes with the if....

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... and practice soem more.
as has been said, a lot is to be gained from experience in this field. you have to think, what would i say to the bride when i only got one shot right? you can keep you money? im sorry for ruining the biggest day of your life?

with experience and skill, you should be able to eliminate most of the risk from cocking up the entire day, but the problem comes with the if....

Fletch, exactly my point, how do you get experience when most pros are not willing to let you tag along to get the experience. I guess in some respects it is understandable that if too many togs flood the market then they will be potentially losing custom.

Is there not a lesser chance of everything going wrong now we are digital??

OK, the reason that I am doing this is because the couple were not originally going to get a photographer for the wedding as they are having one wedding for the relitives living in the UK and another back in Taieland for the other side of the family living in Taieland... or something like that.

If they want photos retouched in photoshop, then they won't need to hire a pro, becuase I can happily use photoshop.

George

See if you can borrow a few CF cards off him as well as 5Gb will disappear fairly quickly especially if you are taking repeated versions of the same shot to cover potential issues with them. If you are shooting RAW at full size on the 40D then you won't get a great deal of shots on 5Gb.

Also get some practice in with the 40D as well as you don't want to flounder with it should you need to use it.

I have used the 40D before (nicer than my nikon) and have no problems with adapting too it. I will probably have the 70-200 on that and the wide angle 18-55 on my Nikon... I will try and get some more card space for the wedding, but on the way from the chruch to the party thing I will backup the photos onto my laptop + external HDD.

This was one someone on here mentioned a while back!
WEDDING SHOT LIST

Wedding Photography Shots Before the Ceremony
Wedding dress lying over a chair
Zipping up or buttoning the wedding dress
Mother of the bride fastening the bride's necklace
The bride's garter
The bride's veil
A close up of the bride's shoes peeking out from under the dress
Bride looking into a mirror
Bride looking out window
Bride and bridesmaids putting on makeup
Bride hugging parents
Bride touching up
Groom tying tie
Groom looking into mirror
Bride looking out window
Groom pinning corsage/boutonniere on mother/father
Groom hugging parents

Wedding Photography Shots At the Ceremony
Outside of ceremony site
Guests walking into ceremony site
Bride and father entering ceremony site
Parents being seated
Grandparents being seated
Bridesmaids walking down the aisle
Groom waiting for bride
Altar during ceremony
Close up of bride, just before she makes her entrance
Bride and father walking down aisle
Groom seeing bride for first time
The back of bride and father walking down the aisle – with the groom waiting in the distance
Bride's father and Bride hugging at end of aisle
Shot of the audience from the bride and groom's point of view
Close up of bride and groom saying the vows
Wide shot of bride and groom saying the vows
Exchanging the rings
Close up of hands
The kiss
Signing the marriage license
Bride & Groom walking up the aisle
Receiving line
Bride & Groom outside on steps
Guests throwing confetti/rose petals/birdseed
Bride & Groom hugging guests, laughing, getting congratulations
Bride & Groom getting in car
Bride & Groom in back seat

Posed Wedding Photography Before the Reception (These can also be taken before the ceremony)
Bride alone (full length)
Bride with bridesmaids
Groom with bridesmaids
Bride with parents
Bride & Groom together
Bride & Groom with parents
Bride & Groom with families
Bride & Groom with entire wedding party
Groom with parents
Groom with best man

During the Reception
Outside of reception site
Bride & Groom arriving
Bride & Groom greeting guests
Table centerpieces
Table setting
Bride & Groom's table (head table)
Musicians or DJ
Guest book
Place card table
Closeup of bride and groom's place card
Wedding cake
Gift table
Decorations
A shot of bride & groom with guests at each table
Bride & Groom's first dance
Bride & Father dancing
Groom & Mother dancing
Guests dancing
Bride & Groom cutting the cake
Bride & Groom feeding each other cake
Speeches
Bride & Groom drinking champagne
Bride throwing bouquet
Groom retrieving garter
Groom tossing garter
Garter/Bouquet dance
The getaway car
Bride & Groom leaving party
Bride & Groom driving away

Spence

Thanks for this. I will be going round with one of the groom's cousins and this will probably come in use (unless they produce one too, which I think they will)

George

I didn't want to comment on this thread as I've not been doing weddings all that long and didn't think it was helpful to the OP to have a go. I do however agree with everything PapaLazarou has said and I worked my backside off with research and shadowing before taking on my first paid wedding.

I guess you're committed so I'd suggest getting some books off Amazon and reading like mad. They're not all good but if you're starting where you are you'll probably pick up tips from all of them. I'd also get phoning round some local (and less local) photographers to ask if you can shadow at short notice. You'll probably get knocked back by most, if not all, but it's worth trying.

And a well meaning friend gave me that PP article the other day. I smiled politely and binned it when they had left.

EDIT - And one other trick. Google the venue + wedding photographs. You might find some well meaning photographer has not password protected photos they have done there which means you can sometimes get a sneak at what others have done. They might be poor (I've seen some shockers doing this) but even they are helpful as they can give you ideas what not to do.

I'll bear all this in mind and try to do most of it - Thanks for being positive :)

George

2 more things, what is the going rate for pay with someone like me? (I am 15 yrs old) and would it be worth buying a white reflector for the day?

Oh yeah - for those of you that think that I can't do it, check out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gfwilliams/sets/72157604427001157/

I have done under pressure shoots before. At school I got given a list of photos that I needed to get in a drama play, and it was a very fast moving play!

George

Have a look at some wedding tog sites on the net they will have prices for various packages, you can work your prices around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back