Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
I was hoping to contribute but ran out of light as I was doing some evening shots on saturday. I did a 10 minute exposure at ISO100 and F22. I got very little and it was getting silly dark to the point you didnt need the welding glass!
Will make more of an effort next time ISO up, stop down on the apperture!

You guys are getting some cracking shots with these lenses, i love looking through them and seeing what your doing. Do's any one want to cover our race events???
Just wanted to say many thanks to you all because it's helped me out a little with my race car, the money made from these lenses has paid for the painting of the car (my friends did it so was labour free) and our first race is next week which it looks as if we will now be able to make. pics of the cars progress can be seen at http://www.darkmutton.com/project-page-3.php , If any of you get my holiday message on ebay it's only because i work away mon-thurs and been getting neg feedback due to excessive delivery time. please contact me on dutt100@aol.com and as usuall i'll help everyone out the best i can.

Thank you all once again

Mark D

Thanks for the welding glass, good job on the mini. Wha ECU you runing ? I work for KEIHIN and can help out for some bits if required.

hi guy's, finally sorted out my bit of glass.
I don't think these a to bad considering I'm new to the hobby!!!!:)

would love some c&c
weldglassriver3600x399.jpg

weldglass1800x531.jpg

weldglassriver600x399.jpg

Last edited:
hi guy's, finally sorted out my bit of glass.
I don't think these a to bad considering I'm new to the hobby!!!!:)

would love some c&c
weldglassriver3600x399.jpg

weldglass1800x531.jpg

weldglassriver600x399.jpg

Love 2 alot, maybe crop the sky slightly but apart from that 2 is one of my favourites in this thread.

ok where do i get this glass from? some really cool pictures in this thread

thanks for the great comment roastchips. just want to keepgoing out and taking lots of this type now I've had a play with all the weld glass pics I have here!!!!
just a couple more

weldglassriver4600x399.jpg

weldglass2600x399.jpg

Last edited:
Now the last shot you posted Number 3, really is a great shot. Really like that, keep up the good work.

Got mine today, so looking forward to going out and giving it a whirl.

What is the easiest way of getting rid of the green tint? - I'm assuming taking RAW, then adjusting white balance during PP?

hi bandyquill.

It's not as scary as it seems!!! tripod, wireles/wired remote, welding glass and bulb setting.
The ones I shot ubove were around 25 seconds at f22.
then played with in lightroom.

hope this helps a bit, though others here are much better at this than me.

Last edited:
hi pete.

Got mine today, so looking forward to going out and giving it a whirl.

What is the easiest way of getting rid of the green tint? - I'm assuming taking RAW, then adjusting white balance during PP?

the help I was given is that you shoot in raw, then as I was using lightroom, adjust the kelvin level to 4200 and the tint to +131.
that was a very good starting point for me then just some minor adjustments to fill in and blacks.

hope this helps.

hi pete.

the help I was given is that you shoot in raw, then as I was using lightroom, adjust the kelvin level to 4200 and the tint to +131.
that was a very good starting point for me then just some minor adjustments to fill in and blacks.

hope this helps.
Thanks bopins.

I'll try to get some first shots at the weekend and use your suggested technique to correct the green. I'll post some up for comment if they come out any good.

This is something I'd never even thought of using as a filter...and I was welding for years, lol. Just need to get the rest of my college work finished and then I might have a tinker with this if I can find the old welding helmet :)

Just ordered one of these from darkmutton - looking forward to trying it out :D

Tried a few shots in the garden this afternoon. Does anyone know why there are a very small number of small, bright red spots/pixels showing? In fact I can see a few green and blue also.

Hot pixels.. these show up when taking long exposures.

Either turn on long exposure noise reduction or just clone them out.

Hot pixels.. these show up when taking long exposures.

Either turn on long exposure noise reduction or just clone them out.
So it's fairly normal then. That's ok then, I thought for a moment I had a problem with the camera.

Very nice.. the horizon in the second one is a bit Gourock, but you're nailing the exposures (particularly the last two, the first is a touch dark for me) and the white balance correction.

These welding glass shots are cool, going to give this a go at some point

Hi all

Just tried this welding glass jobbie and had some problems getting the white balance sorted.

Being far to impatient to read the instructions I played about in Lightroom till I saw something I liked and saved the preset. I take it this is a bad idea and I should do it through the white balance settings but would it be possible to use this method in Lightroom if the settings were correctly configured?

Recently took receipt of a piece of glass, takes quite a bit of work to get rid of the hue i must say, but worth it for the pennies paid

Click me

-----------------------------------------
120secs | f/11.0 @ 24 mm | ISO 100

Recently took receipt of a piece of glass, takes quite a bit of work to get rid of the hue i must say, but worth it for the pennies paid

Click me

-----------------------------------------
120secs | f/11.0 @ 24 mm | ISO 100

Did you try making an action? Surely the same process with the same settings would remove the hue for every image.

For most of you who have posted issues struggling with using the welding glass. If you check out the tutorials section you will see a tutorial made by me :)

Jim, looks like you're getting some light leaking in through the viewfinder (the magenta band starting about 1/4 of the way up the image).

My first post here. I'm getting to like this long exposure technique but I'm not getting the custom white balance to work at all. I have setup a custom preset in Lr that sort of works I then tweak it to look decent in my own mind.

Anyway please C&C away :)

Last edited:
A quick unedited pic from the Kikby Lonsdale meet. Just resized for here, nothing else done. 30 secs, f10, ISO 200, custom WB.

Ruskins_long_exp.jpg

Last edited:
A quick unedited pic from the Kikby Lonsdale meet. Just resized for here, nothing else done. 30 secs, f10, ISO 200, custom WB.

You have done a great job bringing the colours out in this one Nick. Shame we didn't get a decent sky with a little movement though :)

You have done a great job bringing the colours out in this one Nick. Shame we didn't get a decent sky with a little movement though :)

Cheers John, that might have just motivated me to have a play with it in pp now. Like I say it was untouched. Looking forward to the falls this weekend now, will maybe gice it a whirl there.

I'm really getting into this Welding glass now and some waterfall shots would be great. We were hoping for sun on the KL meet and now we will be hoping for rain all week till Sunday for some long exposure waterfall action. :)

Back