Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
No idea - still haven't found those settings so left on auto. Sometimes it works brilliant and the colours are only slightly tinted.

Otherwise play with the Raw (if you can save settings of colour balance?) or tweak each time...

I tried with nikons capture nx and it has a colour balance bit - does through all... Gimp breaks it down to dark middle and light areas for a bit more control/easier to mess it up :D

If your shots are consistantly the same, the post about a shot of green as the WB would prolly help you.

Two more - last for a while...

No 34 Tram (35s) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Pump it! (38s) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi

Mentalblock & Ecniv

I dont have a Nikon but have just googled custom white balance for nikon and come up with this....

you can choose PRE, the so-called "white card" setting. With that option selected, hold a white card in front of the lens and press the shutter button. The camera will read and lock in the color temperature of the light reflected from that card, and that locked-in reading now becomes the standard for the camera's white balance setting. PRE is an ideal way to handle a scene that presents mixed lighting—fluorescent lights in the ceiling and daylight streaming through a window, for example—because it takes into account all the lighting in the scene. (The locked-in setting is maintained in PRE until you take another white card reading.)

Not sure if the camera's you are using has this option but I would try that with the Welding Glass in place. Thke the PRE shot and use that as the white balance setting.

Is it better to try and use the WB settings in camera to ease the green tint from the welding glass, or set the WB to the scene and then bring it all back in PP?

I'm just wondering if adjusting the camera WB would help the PP when removing the green tint.

Thanks

I took a "test" shot with the glass on. Then used that shot to set a custom WB in camera, and used that for future shots. Completely removes the green tinge. Certainly helps PP as it's one less thing to play around with, and get wrong!

This was taken with custom WB....

Liverpool with the Crazy Gang (66) by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mickledore

Nice pic. I do the same with my Canon. Not sure that the Nikon has the same function as in taking a shot and using that as the Custom White Balance shot

Ian & Mick

Thanks for your help.
The Nikon D90 certainly has the PRE function and after a quick read of the manual I now know how it works.

I've taken a PRE shot on some white paper and then taken a shot and the green tint has, as you say, completely gone! Apparently I can use an image to set the custom WB too, but now I have a pre set for the WG that should be fine.

I have an ND filter that casts a slightly grey cast to the images, I guess assigning one of the four remaining custom WB for that would remove this too!

Now I just need to get out and use it on something other than the garden!

Thanks for the help.

Hi everyone. New to the forum and welding glass. My Father-in-law is a welder so endless supply of the stuff for me. I'm just back from Nerja in Spain where these shots were taken. The glass was only attached with elastic bands so I wasn't able to get as close to the action as I wanted. I would welcome any comments good and bad!

6143011299_99cb8888a6_z.jpg
[/url] Nerja by dottync, on Flickr[/IMG]

6143559212_06281ce14b_z.jpg

6143563056_568dc65189_z.jpg

6143017039_b3dc6c3964_z.jpg

6143007635_8bd4ed45a2_z.jpg

looks like a lovely place to see. especially as we have the lovely grey clouds again here :/

Clouds and movement (8s) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

The Clouds are Moving (79s) by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Both taken out the back of where I am living. First was a mistake - should have been longer but I'd left in mup mode :/
But came out nice... Must remember to wipe the welding glass first (had to heal/remove some crap)

Last edited:
Richo : Very well done.

Only thing I find is you need more blue sky than clouds :D - yours is cool though, very nicely done with the gravestone as the main focus. I Like it!

Perhaps a half step back to get all the grave in? Possibly shoot from a lower position... may be.

Thanx for the input, I did find the sky changed as i arrived on site and so didn't achieve the effect I was after but I had fun playing and learned a lot that will stand me in good stead for future shoots.

Can some one please tell me the best way of attaching my adaptor to the glass, Super glue don't work :-(

Can some one please tell me the best way of attaching my adaptor to the glass, Super glue don't work :-(

Super glue worked for me, I left a glass of water on top of the cokin adapter ring while it set. Then I put some tape around the sharp glass edges and over the back of the WG which also picked up the ring.

Not done many shots with it yet though!

Might be a stupid question, might have been asked a dozen times before.

Just got my Welding Glass (9). Why can you not see a thing through the viewfinder, yet when you turn on Live Preview on 60D the image is reasonably bright?? I was never very good at science :D

Love the composition on this, I may have to take a walk down there one lunch time!

The only neg at the moment is the barge, the image would work better if the barge was either not there, or was a different type that didn't have a big black panel. One with windows and a colourful name would be good.

Back