Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Thats always the way, I lived in Wittering for 8 years but take up photography till just before I left :LOL:

Hahaha, I've been in Collyweston for 6 years living with the Harriers, and as soon as I get a lens long enough to get a worthwhile photo of them they are withdrawn from service :D

Hazza said:
Hahaha, I've been in Collyweston for 6 years living with the Harriers, and as soon as I get a lens long enough to get a worthwhile photo of them they are withdrawn from service :D

That's why I left. I used to work on the Harrier. I'm at Coningsby now on Typhoon, except for the aircraft there's not many photography opportunities around here :LOL:

Any one plz help me
my glass have green tint n i am using sony HX9V so it dosent have raw mode n it is difficult to edit
plz help
photostream

You need to set a custom white balance. You will have to check youre cameras manual for how to do this.

On my canon I take a picture using auto white balance (or which ever suits the situation) with the glass on. I then use this green picture (which is correctly exposed) as my custom white balance by selecting it in the cameras menu. Then whenever I take a shot with the glass on using my custom white balance the green colour cast is gone. It's still not perfect tho and needs some adjustments in ps but I usually convert them to mono anyway. If you want a mono picture you don't need to bother setting the white balance.

Sean both your Rutland Water shot and Tattershall bridge image are stunning, beautifully composed, exposed and processed!

I got my first bit of welders glass (no.9) through the post today, Im still awaiting my filter rings for my wide angle lens, but I had a 52mm ring at home so stuck it on temporarily with some blu-tac and headed out with my 50mm lens...

heres a couple of my test shots (nothing too original or exciting) I didnt have alot of time to shoot and the weather was quite overcast but im fairly happy with results. My bit of glass seems to be around the 11 stop mark...

I cant wait for my filter rings to arrive and get out shooting again and Im already looking at a few other grades of glass to order :)
DSC_0045-01-copy111.jpg

Both images were shot @ f/16, Exposure time 8 second

DSC_0039-01-copy111.jpg

Craig.R said:
Sean both your Rutland Water shot and Tattershall bridge image are stunning, beautifully composed, exposed and processed!

I got my first bit of welders glass (no.9) through the post today, Im still awaiting my filter rings for my wide angle lens, but I had a 52mm ring at home so stuck it on temporarily with some blu-tac and headed out with my 50mm lens...

heres a couple of my test shots (nothing too original or exciting) I didnt have alot of time to shoot and the weather was quite overcast but im fairly happy with results. My bit of glass seems to be around the 11 stop mark...

I cant wait for my filter rings to arrive and get out shooting again and Im already looking at a few other grades of glass to order :)

Both images were shot @ f/16, Exposure time 8 second

Thanks Craig, very nice of you to say so (y)

Both your shots are very promising and you clearly have no trouble using the glass. I expect you will get some even better results when you have the time.

Felixstowe? If so, I work just down the road from there and walk past it every day. :)
Nice shot BTW.

EDIT - just seen the image name! Oops. :)

LOL yeah taken down Felixstowe this morning, I live in Ipswich. Took some under the pier as well but they didn't come out as well as i'd hoped.

Actually first time I've picked my camera up for months, so got to remember the best settings to use.

James

I've still not got around to using my welding glass. Need to glue it to my lens adapter, but it's another thing on the photo to do list...
I'm live in Ipswich too, just work in Felix.

I meant as another thing to carry around in your bag.
Gives good results though, so good on you for DIYing it. :)

My DIY bit of kit

IMG_20120809_140241 by j.fordham, on Flickr

Is that a Cokin adapter glued to the wood?

I ask because all I did was simply attach the glass to the adaptor with double sided sticky tape.

Alternatively if it is a filter with the glass removed that could easily have been attached to the glass using silicon sealant.

Last edited:
Is that a Cokin adapter glued to the wood?

I ask because all I did was simply attach the glass to the adaptor with double sided sticky tape.

Alternatively if it is a filter with the glass removed that could easily have been attached to the glass using silicon sealant.

It's just a 58mm>62mm adaptor. I did have the glass attached with tape but, it was annoying to work with + now i can get different shades of glass and just change them over.

Back