Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
newbie question...how do you get your readings...before fitting and applying the Xfactor or ..after fitting...or what??
i think this could be worth a try
cheers
geof

newbie question...how do you get your readings...before fitting and applying the Xfactor or ..after fitting...or what??
i think this could be worth a try
cheers
geof

set everything and compose/focus before fitting the filter, switch everything to manual and dial in the appropriate settings (or set bulb mode and hold the shutter open for the appropriate number of elephants :LOL:)

I generally meter for exposure after setting up the filter using liveview, but I also generally use a fast lens for welding glass shots which will make this method easier. With experience you'll find you can guess the exposure reasonably accurately for your particular shade of glass. ISO100, f/11 and 2 mins are my usual starting point (although it's been several weeks since I last took a WG shot, so I might be out a stop) for daylight. I generally adjust the aperture rather than the shutter speed, and the Phottix wired remote with built-in shutter timer (when I can find mine) means I can enjoy the view rather than count pachyderms ;)

...and the Phottix wired remote with built-in shutter timer (when I can find mine) means I can enjoy the view rather than count pachyderms ;)

:LOL: last time I used mine, I'd forgotten the wired remote for the 450D. I did however have a hands-free for my mobile which used the correct sized jackplug and had a push to answer button. Surprisingly it seemed to work - though I'd not recommend anyone trying it, just in case. Oh - and I was sort of kidding with the elephants - the 450D has a timer in the rear display - I leave the elephants for my pinhole camera stuff :LOL:

set everything and compose/focus before fitting the filter, switch everything to manual and dial in the appropriate settings (or set bulb mode and hold the shutter open for the appropriate number of elephants :LOL:)

thank you gordon...or who was it...in gregorys girl no 1 doing prints of dorothy

It's safe to say that a proper ND filter will give you better/easier results. Welding glass puts a green tint on every shot, so you need to shoot in RAW and use photoshop (or similar) to remove the tint. However, having said that, I bought my stuff on eBay for £10 in total (glass and uv filter) and I kinda enjoyed the construction and experimentation. Some of my welding glass photos look fabulous. Check out my flickr feed for some I took just last week at a frozen lake. :)

http://flickr.com/photos/bingley/5280435755/

Last edited:
Just reviving this thread now that DPM have included an article on Welding Glass shots. Expect the market to be flooded with cheap Chinese imports :)

Digital Photo Magazine

Get a long exposure filter for the price of a pint. Really!
Find out how to use cheap welding glass as an ND-style filter and shoot long 30-second exposures, even in bright daylight.

I had to give this ago! Il be honest with you even shooting Canon and setting custom white balance its hard to get an image that isnt flat! A bit of post helps set the tint 150 in lightroom then edit in photoshop do each section at once i.e i selected the sky and increased the blue then selecte forground to give more yellow and contrast. Then back into lightroom and play around untill your happy.

Hope this helps some of you a little! It took me an hour or two to work it out! lol

THis is a test image just played very quickly in photoshop to fix

5544080831_6147037fcd.jpg

Lovely image.

Ive not been out with my welding glass for ages. I really need to get out and use it.

Bought my welding glass a couple of months ago and haven't used it yet. So this week I have a weeks holiday from work. Got all my gear ready last night ready for an early start down the coast this morning.
Got up bent down to put my shoes on and bang, done my back in, doc prescribes pain killers and says don't move and rest for a week.If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.:crying:

Here my first attempts! Unfortunately there was a lack of clouds...

Struggled with white balance, anyone got any tips?

I've not used welding glass before but I would be tempted to take a test shot in RAW with a sheet of white paper in view and then adjust that in Lightroom to the correct colour. I would then transfer the settings to all other shots and then play with them until they are perfect

Last time I took some welding glass shots. I took a Custom White balance of the scene with the welding glass in place. Next I set the Custom White balance and the took the image again.

Then opened the image in Canon DPP and then sent the raw file to Photoshop. All looked good with no more adjusting.

Hope that helps.

I had a quick shot at fixing this for you aswell hope you dont mind.

testgx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Heres what i did :

Loaded into photoshop played around with the colour balance on the whole image untill it took the green cas out then sectioned off the sky and raised the colour balance of the blue then did the same for the gras to bring the grass out more.

This was all of 2 min job so by all means its not perfect but just a little more vibrant

Theres also a bit of light leaking on the left side :(

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
My first attempt with my welding glass. Not perfect but I quite like the colours. Many, many duffers from today!

Thanks for looking.

Barney

i used to work in the glass industry and we used abrasive paper to rub raw edges down... it worked a treat... just an idea... i'm gonna get one of these too...!

Hi everyone, this is coming in from Malaysia.
http://toys.SPAM/images/weld/EDC_2314a.jpg

Could see the clouds moving rapidly across the sky and knew it was time to break out the welding glass for a first attempt - 20 sec, iirc:

I really need to get out more with my welding glass. Trouble is work just gets in the way.

Great image

Bought mine a while ago but only used it for the first time today.....just a test shot but I think it's working quite well!!

IMG_4750.jpg

Looking forward to giving a blast in future.....might even use it on an engagement shoot I have this weekend!! :D

Ive heard about this technique but never tried it. Looks like im gonna be visiting ebay any time now for all the gear.

forgive me if im wrong but am i right in believing that, if you set your custom white balance correctly then your images will come out without the green tint?

Im just waiting for my glass and adaptor ring to come through the post so ive not been able to have a go at it yet.

forgive me if im wrong but am i right in believing that, if you set your custom white balance correctly then your images will come out without the green tint?

Im just waiting for my glass and adaptor ring to come through the post so ive not been able to have a go at it yet.

I have found on mine the camera WB will not correct as the glass is too green.

Back