What are you currently reading..

Just started the latest John Grisham, The Racketeer. 150 pages in and I'm hooked.

50 shades of grey! To see what all the fuss is about!

Pompeyfc81 said:
50 shades of grey! To see what all the fuss is about!

The fuss is about drivel that came from fan fiction of the twilight series...

Time to bump this up.

Downloaded Safe House by Chris Ewan the other day and it looks rather good, currently only 20p for Kindle.

Brought to mind something interesting tough. The book is written in the first person which might put some people off although I quite enjoy books written this way as I find it can help identify with the character. So I was wondering if anyone here had preferences.

It can be the same when a book is written in the present ense. I once read a book that was written in the first person AND the present tense, a bit strange at first but I ended up really enjoying it If only I could remember what the book was! :bang:

Another bump :D

Safe House was very good

I've just downloaded "Remember to Breathe" by Simon Pont on my kindle. 99p at the moment. Looks quite good

"Canticle for Libowitz" - continuing my current run of post-apocalypse books. Really good despite the heavily religous overtones.

Am finding a lot of these late 50's and early 60's books a lot better than most of the garbage spewed recently - particularly American authors, they just seem to have forgotten how to write.

Bargain of the week:

'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
' by Jonas Jonasson

Has had great reviews, I'm a quarter of the way through and loving it so far... and it's only 20p on Kindle!

Just downloaded it ready for when I finish my current one. Life of Pi is also 20p as well

Just finished the 50 Shades trilogy which I really enjoyed despite the graphic (overly so on occasion IMO) descriptions of the kinky f****ry!

Now onto Road to Dune, a collaboration between the son of the original series' author and another huge fan of the originals. The stories are based on notes found after FH's death and very much in his style despite the different authors.

Reading Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks. Staffs library are now lending Ebooks! Just read Pratchett's Johnny Marvellous trilogy that I vaguely remember reading before or seeing on tv possibly.

Currently reading "war" by sebastien junger (the guy who wrote 'a perferct storm' ) Its about a year spent as an embedded reporter with the 101 airbourne in the afghan.

Reading Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks.

I thought that was great. His one about Norman Wisdom is excellent too.

Just started the new Stuart MacBride book, Close to the Bone. I've enjoyed most of his previous ones and this is very good so far.

The Killing Floor - Lee Child

Bargain of the week:

'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
' by Jonas Jonasson

Has had great reviews, I'm a quarter of the way through and loving it so far... and it's only 20p on Kindle!

My wife and I read it before Christmas and it's is a great fun read, first time I've ever heard her laugh out loud when reading a book.

I'm currently reading ' Where The Bodies Are Buried' by Chris Brookmyre.

Those in Peril - Wilbur Smith

Its a bit lame I reckon but i'll persevere a bit longer. Satellites orbiting earth at 49km, isnt that just a teensy bit low?

A hercules that can carry 3 trucks in its hold, er, really?

A hercules that can carry 3 trucks in its hold, er, really?

it depends how big a truck - according to wikipedia you can get 3 humvees or 2 M113 Gavin APCs in a herkle berkle

Last edited:
Mr Paparazzi by Darryn Lyons

Treblinka: A Survivors Story by Chil Rajchman.
A very harrowing and emotional story of one mans time in the Treblinka concentration camp during WW2.
I had the honour and privilege of meeting this gentleman on Monday and he's an amazing person. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to go through, but he deals with it admirably and goes to schools to share his experience with others so that we don't forget what really happened back then.

that sounds like it might be worth a look - I found an amazing quote from another survivor, viktor frankl, online - I now have it on my office wall to remind me not to get stressed out about first world problems

"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms — to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way"

I'm not sure what to read next :thinking:

Die Trying - by lee child , if you've just finished the killing floor its a no brainer

Stop the ride, I want to get off, Dave Courtneys autobio, not especially riveting, but a decent read.

Last before that was " A testament of hope". Mr king.

Just finished the alchemist by paulo coelho one of the best I've ever read :)
Now on the moon is a harsh mistress by heinlein

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Snuff, which I thought was one of his best. Read Lee Mack's autobiography over Christmas (a pressie) and laughed out loud a lot. I'm about to dive into Robert Anton Wilson's Coincidance for a second time. It's heavy going, but hopefully rewarding.

Die Trying - by lee child , if you've just finished the killing floor its a no brainer

My problem with Lee Child is I've read them all....Killing Floor was a second-time-round easy read. Don't get me wrong, I could read Reacher books till the cows come home, but I fancy something a bit different. Just not sure what. :thinking:

if you like Reacher , Matt Hilton - Joe Hunter series , starting with dead mans dust

Think BSM's already mentioned them, but Robert Crais' elvis cole/joe pike books and Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp ones too. Also some older thrillers are still pretty good even now, for instance Im enjoying reading Ian Flemings Bond books and Alistair Maclean used to write crackers and they are starting to appear in reprint around the place now. (I picked up a few in "the range" 2 for £5)

Anyone read any Robert Goddard and if so what are they like compared to other authors? i.e are they like lee child or whatever?

cheers

Just finished ploughing through John Locke's "Donovan Creed" series (Lethal People is the 1st). Highly amusing, very inventive and a good trashy thriller. Highly recommended. Well worth the £1.50 a book.

Ian.

Currently reading 'the invisible gorilla' which is all about attention blindness and the fallible nature of memory. Mind bending.

Flashman said:
Bargain of the week:

'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just finished this book and really enjoyed it - a lovely funny story and totally engaging - one of the best books I have read in a long while.

Chris

Currently reading 'the invisible gorilla' which is all about attention blindness and the fallible nature of memory. Mind bending.

I got this too.

Reading the search for the Diceman by Luke rhinehart

The first one is a strange concept where he, Luke the author is a psychologist who lives is his live by the turn of the dice... And gets his patients involved... This one is centred on his son and his search for his dad

Weird but a good read

Back