What are you using as more compact/second camera

Ricoh GR. Love that camera. I just bought a used Sony A6000 to use a second camera but it isn't going to work out. The GR is such a nice thing to use.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Sony RX100 III in the classifieds here to replace a Canon S95 as my pocket, go everywhere camera. I generally use it for snaps, rather than my serious images, but I know the quality is there if I need it. When I am travelling I carry the DSLR, but always have the compact camera in my shorts pocket. I keep on meaning to compare the 20Mp compact and 20Mp DSLR, but haven't got round to it yet.

When I had played with the RX100 III many times in the shop, I thought the EVF would be great, because it had been great in the shop, but in the real world I have felt it a bit hit and miss depending on the lighting situation outside. What has blown me away is that the camera had a Timelapse App installed, and it does great Timelapses. I had wanted to do that with the Canon S95 with CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit) third party firmware, but I couldn't get it to work with my S95. :( Having this option made by Sony as an option in the RX100 III, even if it does cost a bit more, is great. :D

I too picked up a RX100m3 from classified, got mine just yesterday. Finding it a bit fiddly and small tbh. I'll see how my missus gets along with it to replace her nex-5n.

ACANOBC205282703.jpg

Got a G7X ... got a free case with it. It's supposed to be a pocket camera but always have it in the case over my shoulder, under my jacket. (y) It's a bit heavy for any pocket.

Takes great Jpegs on Auto,
HDR on Art Startard gives fab results,
Shutter Priority with, and sometimes without, integrated ND filter gives lovely motion blur (more effective and predictable than my D5300.
Aperture Priority - wide open on full zoom (100mm equiv) = f/2.8 makes great portraits with OOF BGs from 2 or 3 metres away.
I love it with its tilt up screen I shoot from waist level 90% of the time. My street camera.

Last edited:
I too picked up a RX100m3 from classified, got mine just yesterday. Finding it a bit fiddly and small tbh. I'll see how my missus gets along with it to replace her nex-5n.
Stick it on Auto-scene and hand it to missis, job done.
The flash is also incredibly good if you point it towards the ceiling using your finger.

I've got a Panasonic LX100. It is a little short on zoom, but has great IQ. I'm finding I'm using it more and more as it is so convenient to just pop this in a small shoulder bag (along with all the junk I need for the kids) and not have to lug the SLR, 2-3 lenses and associated equipment. Just go to figure out how to get the bloomin' thing on manual now.....

I'm using a Nikon D500 but I am very interested in the new Panasonic GX9 which is due later this year and just using it with a few primes for myself.

Using a Sony RX100 as my carry about camera. Can't really fault it, fits in most pockets, and the image quality is pretty great. It's almost a relief not having to heave around tonnes of gear and swap lenses!

An old Panasonic DMC-TZ7, though found my Canon 350D with a Helios 44M-4 lens is a reasonably small setup.

I now have an Olympus Pen E-PL3 which so far seems to be ideal for a more compact camera.

Ive just bought a Leica TL2 to use as a second camera to my Leica S007...................I'm looking forward to trying that new camera out after I get home on Thursday :) :)

Neil

I too use a Fuji X100F as my second camera.

Having recently bought an Oly E-M1 MkII I have found that combined with a17mm1.8 lens it's a really compact bit of kit and on a par with the Fuji X100F. For me anyway :) Hence the Fuji is now up for sale.

Having recently bought an Oly E-M1 MkII I have found that combined with a17mm1.8 lens it's a really compact bit of kit and on a par with the Fuji X100F. For me anyway :) Hence the Fuji is now up for sale.
Get a TL2. You know you want one :)

Get a TL2. You know you want one :)

I'd prefer a camera with a built in EVF instead of a bolt on option, especially when shooting in any sunlight (I used to have an Nex5 so know the pain!). Also, if I was buying a crop mirrorless again now, I'd rather have one with built in stabilisation or lenses that offer it. Apart from a slightly smaller sensor, I think the Olympus is the better option over the TL2 although I'd personally go for a Sony A6300/A6500 for all round performance.

Olympus E-PL1 with a 9mm Fisheye bodycap lens, absolutely tiny and light. Fits in almost any pocket.
I can hide it from my Mrs too!

I went for a omd mkII and 300f4 pro .
Rob.

Any sage advice on a second 'pick up and go' camera to back up my XT2? We have an RX100M3 but after the Fuji I am finding myself missing the lack of physical controls. Don't get me wrong it's a wonderful pocket rocket and I'll be keeping it but just looking for something a little bigger with more of a tactile user experience. On the XT2 I'd say that >50% of my images are taken with the 23f1.4. When I'm travelling I tend to take the 18-55 and the 14 and would say I hover around the wider end of the 18-55.

I'm gravitating toward the LX100 (cost) or X100F (familiarity) but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions / recommendations or first hand experience of the pros and cons of either.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Any sage advice on a second 'pick up and go' camera to back up my XT2? We have an RX100M3 but after the Fuji I am finding myself missing the lack of physical controls. Don't get me wrong it's a wonderful pocket rocket and I'll be keeping it but just looking for something a little bigger with more of a tactile user experience. On the XT2 I'd say that >50% of my images are taken with the 23f1.4. When I'm travelling I tend to take the 18-55 and the 14 and would say I hover around the wider end of the 18-55.

I'm gravitating toward the LX100 (cost) or X100F (familiarity) but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions / recommendations or first hand experience of the pros and cons of either.

Thanks in advance

Dave

X100F + WCL - I, too have X-T2 and bunch of lenses, but an X100F over shoulder, spare battery and WCL in pocket, happy days.....

Back