What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

I think it was this time last year in Norfolk at Holm Dunes I got a couple of Spoonbill shots but it was blazing hot and the heat haze crippled the detail. Well I'm here again and it's blazing hot again. Fortunately this one got just close enough to overcome the haze. We were just driving back to our holiday accommodation and the other half spotted it low down in the harbour at Thornham where the tide was out. It got gradually closer to me until some tourists bowled over to get some selfies and scared it off. (n)

Spoonbill
by GaseousClay1, on Flickr

Spoonbill

I think it was this time last year in Norfolk at Holm Dunes I got a couple of Spoonbill shots but it was blazing hot and the heat haze crippled the detail. Well I'm here again and it's blazing hot again. Fortunately this one got just close enough to overcome the haze. We were just driving back to our holiday accommodation and the other half spotted it low down in the harbour at Thornham where the tide was out. It got gradually closer to me until some tourists bowled over to get some selfies and scared it off. (n)

Spoonbill

Spoonbill
Really nice @Martin Clay

More Blackbirds fishing and catching fish.... I was surprised by this...

blackbird-fishing-9041.jpg

blackbird-fishing-9095.jpg

This male Blackbird seems to developed quite a skill at catching fish from the weir. This isn't a one off, I've seen it do this on many occasions, it will catch one and then go and catch another...

Look at me, I've got 2 fish.......

blackbird-fishing-9227.jpg

blackbird-fishing-9231.jpg

Thanks John. I've been fascinated watching these Blackbirds do this, there is a female that also catches fish.

I saw this blackbird cooling off this afternoon but on the roof of our swing housing in direct sun. It then flew down onto the lawn,had a listen for any worms..there weren't any.. and then off to the bird bath.Taken at 2.30pm so very hot. 29C
r6wcj8.jpg

2mowlle.jpg

21kfrpj.jpg

28a262g.jpg

I saw this blackbird cooling off this afternoon but on the roof of our swing housing in direct sun. It then flew down onto the lawn,had a listen for any worms..there weren't any.. and then off to the bird bath.Taken at 2.30pm so very hot. 29C
r6wcj8.jpg

2mowlle.jpg

21kfrpj.jpg

28a262g.jpg

They love sunbathing John, someone suggested it might be a way of ridding themselves of mites but I have no idea if that is the case ... nice subject studies in #2 & #3 :)

someone suggested it might be a way of ridding themselves of mites but I have no idea if that is the case ...
Its long been suggested among the falconry community that this is the case, I'm not convinced personally, I've seen many of my birds that are "mite free" do it also.
Maybe they just like the sun on their back, or perhaps a bit of both?

Its long been suggested among the falconry community that this is the case, I'm not convinced personally, I've seen many of my birds that are "mite free" do it also.

Thanks for suggestions both. It was doing the same thing at the same time today. It's had a drink of water too and gone off,maybe to watch the football run-up ..:D which I'm about to do..2.05pm.

Nice set,Roger.Plenty of cooling down going on.

Thanks for suggestions both. It was doing the same thing at the same time today. It's had a drink of water too and gone off,maybe to watch the football run-up ..:D which I'm about to do..2.05pm.

Nice set,Roger.Plenty of cooling down going on.

I had one flaked out on my garden in full sun earier on too, till it saw me watching it to check it was okay, then like yours it went for a drink and flew off. Football? Pah! Been some nailbiting tennis this afternoon........;)

I had one flaked out on my garden in full sun earier on too, till it saw me watching it to check it was okay, then like yours it went for a drink and flew off. Football? Pah! Been some nailbiting tennis this afternoon........;)

At half- time Russia v Croatia I switched channels to see Jokovic win..agree, if the rest of the tennis was like that it could well be describrd as nailbiting. Kyle Edmund looks like a future Wimbledon champion in the mould of Federer, Nadal, McEnroe and Jokovic himself.. I found the way Jokovic bounces the ball ..11 times.I counted them..before each serve very irritating.

They love sunbathing John, someone suggested it might be a way of ridding themselves of mites but I have no idea if that is the case ... nice subject studies in #2 & #3 :)

Just Googled about the blackbird.

http://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...fe-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/sunning.aspx

Just Googled about the blackbird.
As I said I've often observed my raptors doing this and known full well them to be mite free.

Yes also, its supposed to increase the effectiveness of the "preen oil"

Back