What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

… and, how do you rate it?

Delicious takes BTW.

Thanks,

Early days yet, but from initial impressions there's more smoothing of the feathers, especially the Blue Tit's breast, but okay on outer parts. Also, less opportunity to pull back the highlights and shadows etc.....Hard to judge the noise performance, maybe a little better with the BT @ iso2000, but the smoothing as mentioned. The Nuthatch I'm more pleased with.

Will keep at it, I only have SD cards and need to buy some CF to use as backup for RAW and then do a fairer comparison, as per Bill's thread on the JPEG vs RAW.

I think this is a perfectly legitimate try!

Cold this evening ...... so shots from indoor thru the window into the garden - almost a full image as the bird came close - maybe MFD for the 600mm f4

a couple of these normally visit late afternoon, between 7 and 8pm

I know the bird is not looking at the camera ........ most uncooperative sometimes

jpeg with lots of adjustments in LR/PS

ISO 2500 - as I said thru window glass

1/1250th sec just was not fast enough as these birds move their heads like a pneumatic drill ....... focus is on the head but the image could be sharper

hoop_31st.jpg

Last edited:
Very windy and wet here today so not much chance of adding to this thread. I did get a shot of a swallow on a tree guard yesterday but haven't had time to get it on to computer yet.

Distant shots of Bittern & Marsh Harrier on Somerset Levels, couldn't get them any closer ... purely record shots but lovely to have seen them :)

Bittern.jpg

Harrier.jpg

well done Simon

look at the NR setting in your D810 - NR will smooth feathers

Thanks Bill,

Yes know about the NR in camera, started yesterday with camera set at defaults in NL mode......NR set to normal for high ISO, not sure what the camera classes as high ISO though?...Going to try different settings and see if I can find the sweet spot.

…a crow going in the wrong direction.
Still have a hard time at having wildlife
to do what I want! :(

C6740%20EDpp.jpg

Had another go with Jpeg's yesterday with the camera set as STD compared to NL previously and also set the NR to high to see how it performs. From reviewing, it seems as if the CT and Robin are OOF and lost detail but the Crow portraits seem okay?

Think I will stick with RAW for the time being, as I have the time to process the images and it maybe better when the light is not so harsh, as the case yesterday.

DSC_3416 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3458 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3463 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3464 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I'm guessing ...

My son said: "Very funny but it looks more like a penguin!!
I answered : "…a penguin is a bird, isn't it?"

That's a Hooded Crow Sir

You taught me that already and I did not forget it but
it still doesn't obey even when I call it by its name! :crying:

There are two nests under the garage porch.
This baby Rotschwanz left one of them and is
obviously not flight ready. Nor is it aware that
one should not leave home groomed this way!

1855%20EDpp.jpg

you have a good subject there to work with Daniel

The next step is to try to get them to perch were you want them to and in a position that suits - put any seeds etc, in front of the perch so that they do not turn their backs on you too much

There must be adults male and female and they will not be too far from the young - the male is the one that (I) see the least

You image illustrates what I noticed this year - the gape, (that yellow stuff around the beak, that goes once they get into adulthood), seems to be a lighter yellow than I remember

happy days

Fantastic birds and photos, love the Hoopoo. I've been searching for one for years. Back to reality for me, Pwllheli harbour to-day, a family of Shelducks, one always goes first and then there is always one who sticks with mum. The ones in the middle are spares in case of anything happens to the first one.:(Family of Shelducks.jpg

Last edited:
Back