What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Everyone's favourites

Really?
Not mine because the gulls kill too many (imo) ducklings
and when I come back from the shoot… pigeons pooed
on my car!

Anyway, these two fellows were beautifully captured and
rendered, Andrew!

Enough to give you earache!

Maybe it should not overdo the stoical parent…
This year, no coot at the marsh!

a little practise with

This unit, Wes, is better used on an totally
isolated subject. At close range and with busy
BG I found this contraption to be a pest because
of it on camera position and returned it.

At close range, I prefer to use multiple flashes
on PW transceivers triggered by a movement
detector.

Last edited:

Really?
Not mine because the gulls kill too many (imo) ducklings
and when I come back from the shoot… pigeons pooed
on my car!

Anyway, these two fellows were beautifully captured and
rendered, Andrew!
Sorry, I said it sarcastically

got it now! :)

… but I did not…
these two fellows were beautifully
captured and rendered

Only the second time I've managed to get a shot of a Grey Heron as it caught a fish - I think it's an eel, from a late evening wander up the River Ribble near West Bradford.

grey-heron-5445.jpg

Managed to photograph my first Herons yesterday at Ogmore, there seemed a to be a fair numbers of togs and twitchers there, so assume they were first time visitors.

Just grab shots as they were too far away for my 300mm lens.

DSC_3217 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_3234 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

…from yesterday, sunny with a light wind.

C1123EDpp.jpg

I've just discovered this thread and I'm pleased I have as I always have photos that aren't worthy of their own thread but I would still like to share. There is some cracking photos on this thread and some great conversation, I'm looking forward to joining in..

My first couple of photos, taken not today but last week..

Reed bunting by WillWA, on Flickr

Yellowhammer by WillWA, on Flickr

Both taken on a D610 with the sigma 150-600.

Also could anyone advice me on type of Tern this is... Common or Arctic and how do you tell the difference?

Tern by WillWA, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to joining in..

…with contributions like these,
you're most welcome, Will! :)

(between us, I hate barbed wire!
but that just me!)

Reactions: WWA
I've just discovered this thread and I'm pleased I have as I always have photos that aren't worthy of their own thread but I would still like to share. There is some cracking photos on this thread and some great conversation, I'm looking forward to joining in..

My first couple of photos, taken not today but last week..

Reed bunting by WillWA, on Flickr

Yellowhammer by WillWA, on Flickr

Both taken on a D610 with the sigma 150-600.

Also could anyone advice me on type of Tern this is... Common or Arctic and how do you tell the difference?

Tern by WillWA, on Flickr

Excellent set there ... I would say the Tern is a Common Tern based on the black edgings to the wings and end of the beak :)

Reactions: WWA
Thanks very much chaps, nice to have a thread where it's more about just spotting and recording (and identifying) rather than getting the perfect shot. It certainly suits my attitude to bird photography. Thank you for the Tern id, I'll update my Flickr title.

Thanks very much chaps, nice to have a thread where it's more about just spotting and recording (and identifying) rather than getting the perfect shot. It certainly suits my attitude to bird photography. Thank you for the Tern id, I'll update my Flickr title.

Good to have you here (y)

And, yes, you're right about this thread :)

Great pics. The cormorant certainly shows it power in that take off and the young song thrush really looks like a poser.

Re the Thrush above - almost a baby - there were Crows and Jays around as well as Buzzards and the like - the Thrush was on it's own in the garden - it just makes you realise how vulnerable they are - we have also had some heavy rain

I use 1/320th sec with a 600mm and 1,7TC in poor light - just shows you how still the bird was - it just did not move for about 5 mins

Last edited:
It has a feel of a Warbler Phil ...... kind of longer body and those "longer" wings ......... but you never know

Definitely WW Bill, it started to sing! :D

Great idea with the nesting material Wez :)

Thanks.

Spoke to the guy at the pond who put the hay bales in for the ducks to nest with. Got home and the wife was chucking a couple of old pillows out, so nabbed one to see if it worked.

As I noticed last year, they were collecting white dog hair from the garden, so saves them the bother (y)

D0762%20EDpp.jpg

Why do I have to sign up to see your picture?
(too bad cause I won't!)

Even if you did sign up you still couldn't see it on Flickr........its set to private for now ;) :p

.its set to private for now

Since I don't do socials, I don't quite get it
but I know you know what you're doing.

As it is the first time I see you bird, I would
have liked a closer look, but ok…

Back