What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Three from today - poor light and cropped - first image shows distance, I could not even make out the Long Tailed Tits with normal eyesight - I just sa w a movement

Amazed at the D810 - OK I'm using a 600mm f4 ....... but the shots are at maybe 25 to 30 metres, and ISO 2000 or just less with a shutter speed of 1/800th sec because of the poor light

slight pp with bg noise reduction

Uncropped
22nd_4.jpg

cropped
22nd_3.jpg

cropped but a little nearer
22nd_2.jpg

cropped but a little nearer
22nd_1.jpg

Last edited:
Been waiting for the Ducks to start flying on the lake to be able to practice with my mirrorless,any way today they have been active.

P1090419.jpg

Just record shots but both are birds I've seen only on very few occasions and both are firsts photographically. At the Seaton wetlands taken from the top deck of the tram. The tram was stationary but balancing a beanbag on the rail in quite a strong breeze wasn't the most stable of mountings and they are both huge crops, but it was a really enjoyable trip made all the more worthwhile by seeing these.

Bar tailed godwit. There were several of these among the black tailed

Barwit
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

Little grebe that obliged by taking a very short break from diving

Little grebe
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

My favourite shot from today

Just a Great Tit

D810 + 600mm @f4 + ISO 900 + crop - about 25mtrs away - DOF at f4 is not too bad when you are at this distance and a cropped D810 RAW + 600mm is still detailed enough

The more I use the D810 the more I really like it ...... I used to prefer the D750, but not now for shots like this

I also find the D810 colours really good and natural, needing only minor adjustments - but maybe when you get used to a certain cameras colours that's the way you start to see things

GT_25th.jpg

Last edited:
One from this morning's stroll - Lunch?

Being in France - the only question I ask is "are you going to shoot me"

FP_26th.jpg

Last edited:
Its a House Sparrow actually but I saw one the other eating blackberries and I wondered if they are after the seeds rather than the pulp. Bullfinches do the same, they are after the seeds.

Its a House Sparrow actually but I saw one the other eating blackberries and I wondered if they are after the seeds rather than the pulp. Bullfinches do the same, they are after the seeds.

Ah - thanks Shirley! I thought the top of its head being dark wasn't right for a Dunnock - I briefly surfed up some Sparrow images but none of those seemed to look like this chap either.

Title amended!

Don't know if it's the seeds they were after, but they seemed to drop more on the floor than actually got consumed!

Thanks again.

Not been out with the camera much lately, a few days break might have done me some good :)

Been for a walk this aft, not much about, its a good job we have a hedge full of House Sparrows as back up!

House Sparrow.jpg

The same Whimbrel turned up again to-day even after a fair storm, I noticed its got a limp. It can fly so must like the field and the company of the seagulls at Morfa Nefyn.

whimbrel 29th Sep.jpg

Back