What birds or bird have you seen today – communal thread, I hope!

Not bad for a thru the window shot with a x 2 converter on a 300mm lens

Chaffinch_17.jpg

same again with x 1.4 converter ......... f4 killed the DOF

Magpie_17.jpg

Last edited:
Some great sightings still happening in this thread guys. ;)

I took a trip down to Dungeness RSPB Nature Reserve this last Saturday(approx 90 mile round trip!) an only the 2nd time Ive been to this site. I had several species on the "hit list"...sighted some...but missed out on others.

The species i missed (which have been seen at the Reserve recently) were - Smew, Goosander, Slavonian Grebe, Shag, Bittern, Dartford Warbler, Bearded Tit, Firecrest, Raven, and Penduline Tit.

Apart from the usual species, i did sight both male an female Goldeneye, Great White Egret, 2 Long-eared Owls (which were well hidden, and a long distance off!!)...so the day was not a total failure...but it could have been better!...At least 3 to 4 Cetti's Warbler were heard (but as usual, not seen!).
It was cold, but i had some good spells of sunshine.

Most of the birds were a serious distance away, so some real heavy cropping to nearly all my images!

Cheers Paul

PS. all shot with the Nikon V1/FT1/nikon 300 f/4D lens combo.

Pair of Goldeneye...these would just not come in any closer.
Pair of Goldeneye, Dungeness RSPB. 16th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Female Goldeneye with Coot.
Female Goldeneye with Coot, Dungeness RSPB. 16th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Robin.
Robin, Dungeness RSPB. 16th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Great Tit (probable male).
Great Tit, Dungeness RSPB. 16th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

The only bird i could get close to on the day, was this Goldfinch, which was feeding on the seeds of a type of Thistle?
I was trying to get a shot of a Chiffchaff, from inside a "Hide", but i spotted this Goldfinch feeding. The harsh light didnt help with the image either.
This image is not cropped.
Goldfinch (uncropped). Dungeness RSPB. 16th-Jan-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Stonechat, a very heavy crop of one of mi SEO's, but a first with it having its 'tufts' up and a drive by shooting of a Red Grouse spotted by the missus :)

I suppose I should ask this in 'Talk Equipment'. It wasn't until I got home, I realised I had OS switch on to position 2, unsure why because I normally have it turn off even though the shots are handheld. Looking at todays shots, none of them look as sharp as they normally would, anyone else experience owt similar?

Edit- Should have said, lens is a Sigma 150-500, ta :)

Stonechat 2.jpg

Short-eared Owl.jpg

Red Grouse.jpg

Last edited:
Pardon the quality but I couldn't be bothered to go outside and try for a proper shot and the window was quite clean. A little collection from yesterday and we had a repeat performance today. Under the bird feeders in the garden. Hopefully I've identified these correctly.

We had six goldfinches feeding from a single feeder at once. Usually it's two or three maximum as they keep nagging at and bickering each other. We also had 3-4 male and 2-3 female bramblings. A nuthatch, another first. LTT's, blue and great tits, magpies (with no other birds until I came along :D) and a few others too. On these cold days we have 11 feeders supplying around 15 birds on them and another 25 on the ground. A lovely sight.

Female chaffiinch, male brambling, male brambling, female brambling, unisex goldfinch - no idea how you tell which is which. The black is a carpet of niger seed!
60119-8128.jpg

Similar photograph moments later but different posese
60119-8130.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I was at Martin Mere today, so I saw lots and lots of birds.

A Pheasant

pheasant-1830.jpg

Not sure what this one is, closest I could get was a Female Reed Bunting, there were some reeds just of to the left, but the were landing on this branch before going to a feeding station.

bird-1837.jpg

And a male one??

bird-1835.jpg

@Ryewolf The female Reed Bunting is a beauty Geoff ......and yes thats a male :)

Thanks Phil, I wasn't sure as I'd never seen one before. I was lucky with the female it just turned and caught the late afternoon sun coming from the left. Just a pity about that tree branch going through the beak on the male.

Just a pity about that tree branch going through the beak on the male

My PP'ing skills are fairly limited Geoff but cloning the branch out is easy enough to do. This only took me a couple of minutes, it could've done with a bit more care and time around the bill but I just did a quick edit :)

bird-1835.jpg

I did have a go myself, but wasn't happy with the result, so thought I'd post it as it was. I will go back and have another go.

Bought a Kenko 1.4 300 PRO TC last week to go with my 300mm f4 afs lens, and with the TC attached, it would only take one shot and then the VF would go black. When releasing TC, there seemed to be a release noise from the camera and my gut feeling it may have been snagging on the mirror, not sure if that is possible???........... So returned for a refund.

Managed to get a mint Nikon TC-14EII from this forum and it arrived today, shame the weather was so poor but initial impressions seem promising. Will need to try in better light and see if AF adjustment is needed.

ISO 3200 and my usual visitors to the garden.

Trying out new Nikon 1.4TC and 300mm AFS lens by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Bought a Kenko 1.4 300 PRO TC last week to go with my 300mm f4 afs lens, and with the TC attached, it would only take one shot and then the VF would go black. When releasing TC, there seemed to be a release noise from the camera and my gut feeling it may have been snagging on the mirror, not sure if that is possible???........... So returned for a refund.

Managed to get a mint Nikon TC-14EII from this forum and it arrived today, shame the weather was so poor but initial impressions seem promising. Will need to try in better light and see if AF adjustment is needed.

ISO 3200 and my usual visitors to the garden.

Very nice, look how sharp that Pigeon is!

For some reason though, it looks a lot sharper on here than it does on Flickr....that's a first! :D

Go away and take that 300mm with you:D

Lovely detail,did you ever have the older 300mm if so how do they compere for IQ

Thanks Mike, yes I've had both the older 300 f4 and the 300 f2.8 ... the 300 f2.8 has the vote on IQ but fails for me on weight.
The new 300 f4 PF VR is IMO better than the older 300 f4 AF-S in that it takes the TC's much better, particularly the TC1.7 which I always found sluggish on the AF-S but a bare lens test would be unlikely to show much IQ difference between the two.
For me the new version is an absolute winner in terms of weight and use with TC's, making it a very versatile long telephoto lens, (Crop camera & TC's), which I can handle like a small walkabout zoom. :)

Thanks Mike, yes I've had both the older 300 f4 and the 300 f2.8 ... the 300 f2.8 has the vote on IQ but fails for me on weight.
The new 300 f4 PF VR is IMO better than the older 300 f4 AF-S in that it takes the TC's much better, particularly the TC1.7 which I always found sluggish on the AF-S but a bare lens test would be unlikely to show much IQ difference between the two.
For me the new version is an absolute winner in terms of weight and use with TC's, making it a very versatile long telephoto lens, (Crop camera & TC's), which I can handle like a small walkabout zoom. :)

Just had a play with one today out side the shop,took pictures in the rain but fell in love ;)

Seems as if there's the start of courtship between my resident Robin and the new kid on the block. Just about caught the pair together as a grab shot, hopefully get some better photos over the coming days. Been fun watching them chasing and flirting with each other.

Checked on the RSPB website and they state they start courtship early in January if the weathers mild > http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/r/robin/nesting.aspx

Robins starting to mate? by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_8423 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Seems as if there's the start of courtship between my resident Robin and the new kid on the block. Just about caught the pair together as a grab shot, hopefully get some better photos over the coming days. Been fun watching them chasing and flirting with each other.

Checked on the RSPB website and they state they start courtship early in January if the weathers mild > http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/r/robin/nesting.aspx

Robins starting to mate? by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

DSC_8423 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Excellent, always good to see early courtship behaviour.
I have also noticed a pair of Robins in my garden this week, so hope they will nest close by this year. As usual, the Robins will not tolerate the poor old Dunnock, and the chasing has started!
Other garden sightings are - Pair of Great Tits, pair of Blue Tits(these pairs are "having a go" at each other, and "testing" a couple of my garden nest boxes).
Pair of Blackbirds, at least 2 pairs of bloody Magpies!
Ive seen a small flock of LTT's working through the garden, flying with the LLT's, up to 3 Goldcrests at one time!
A Wren has been "working" around the rockery.
Just the one Great Spotted Woodpecker (male) so far, but hope they will once again nest near by...and "feed" off of my home made Woodpecker Pole!

Not birds, but both Bank Vole and Wood Mouse seen in the rockery.

Could be a big day for me tomorrow...I might just go searching/twitching for a couple of "Lifers" (for me anyway)!!...The birds in question being a Shore Lark, and a Richards Pipit.
Not sure Im going for it yet, but it could happen tomorrow?

Cheers Paul.

Great day Saturday, sighted the Shore Lark and Richard's Pipit, but dipped out on the Hooded Crow.

Whilst on the Isle of Sheppey, it would be rude not to look in on Elmley Reserve, which i did, before "twitching" for the others.
All images heavily cropped, except the Lapwing.

Little Owl.
Little Owl, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Lapwing.
Lapwing, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Buzzard.
Buzzard, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

The Sanderling were at the same beach as the Shore Lark. In with these, were Dunlin, Turnstone, Ringed Plover.
I wish i had the same light for the Shore Lark, as i did with these lovely little Sanderling. Soon after i took these shots, a blanket of cloud came over!

The Shore Lark images are on their own thread.
Cheers Paul.

Sanderling, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great day Saturday, sighted the Shore Lark and Richard's Pipit, but dipped out on the Hooded Crow.

Whilst on the Isle of Sheppey, it would be rude not to look in on Elmley Reserve, which i did, before "twitching" for the others.
All images heavily cropped, except the Lapwing.

Little Owl.
Little Owl, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Lapwing.
Lapwing, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Buzzard.
Buzzard, Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

The Sanderling were at the same beach as the Shore Lark. In with these, were Dunlin, Turnstone, Ringed Plover.
I wish i had the same light for the Shore Lark, as i did with these lovely little Sanderling. Soon after i took these shots, a blanket of cloud came over!

The Shore Lark images are on their own thread.
Cheers Paul.

Very nice shots, love the Little Owl. I was at Elmley NR a few weekends ago with my Dad for a walk. Whereabouts was the Little Owl?

Good variety there and I like the buzzard shot.

Cheers, I missed most of the Buzzard shots! It was along way off! I thought it might of had prey with it, because of its wing positions...But, after the bird shuffled about for a while on that post, it then dropped a poop! an took flight.

Very nice shots, love the Little Owl. I was at Elmley NR a few weekends ago with my Dad for a walk. Whereabouts was the Little Owl?

Thanks, yes Elmley is a good location. If you made Elmley, you should have visited nearby Minster/Sheerness, thats were the Shore Lark is ;)...and at the other end, at Shellness, the Richard's Pipit can be found ;)

I found the Little Owl, as you first enter the Reserve, on the left of the track(before you enter) the farm out buildings, just after the old houses. Theres some large green metal gates to your left, set back a bit...you can pull in there, look at the front(at the top) of the out building, thats were i found the Little Owl.
I was expecting to see a Kestrel there, but the Little Owl was a bonus for sure.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited:
It was along way off!
I frequently feel the temptation with bird shots is to be as close as possible but many of my favourite bird shots - not just mine but from other photographers too - are those where it is nearly the secondary subject, the prime subject being the environment it is photographed in. Perhaps this has something to do with how we see them as humans - from a distance.

Hope this isn't going to take the thread off topic :oops: :$

I frequently feel the temptation with bird shots is to be as close as possible but many of my favourite bird shots - not just mine but from other photographers too - are those where it is nearly the secondary subject, the prime subject being the environment it is photographed in. Perhaps this has something to do with how we see them as humans - from a distance.

Hope this isn't going to take the thread off topic :oops: :$

Yes, i know what you mean...Im as guilty as the next person, I mainly shoot close up/macro, so most of my images will not really show habitat/environment.

I was using Nikon V1/FT1 plus nikon 300mm f/4D lens set up. With the 2.7 crop factor of the V1, it would have been 810mm equivalent!

So here is the full frame, uncropped, SOOC image of that Buzzard.

Cheers Paul.

Buzzard (uncropped) SOOC. Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Yes, i know what you mean...Im as guilty as the next person, I mainly shoot close up/macro, so most of my images will not really show habitat/environment.

I was using Nikon V1/FT1 plus nikon 300mm f/4D lens set up. With the 2.7 crop factor of the V1, it would have been 810mm equivalent!

So here is the full frame, uncropped, SOOC image of that Buzzard.

Cheers Paul.

Buzzard (uncropped) SOOC. Isle of Sheppey. 23rd-Jan.-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Thats held together well after the crop.

Beautiful colours and shapes on the flamingo. Presumably most water birds are in near tip top condition now for plummage?

Beautiful colours and shapes on the flamingo. Presumably most water birds are in near tip top condition now for plummage?

Yes Edward, all the signs of breeding plumage and activity now :)

Back