What did you get for Xmas?

The Angel's Share?

I use Xmas when I can't fit Christmas onto whatever I'm writing. I've never heard "Merry Xmas" being spoken out loud?

I remember when authorities pushed the asinine use of Winterfest though.
On Futurama they deliberately say Xmas. So in the future we're all going call it "ex-mas".

I don't get all up tight about what it's called or where it all came from. I treat it as a "tradition" with food, presents and TV, and not as a religious celebration.

I got a Christmas jumper from my girlfriend.

Masive?

Well my big Christmas present was a heart attack. Walked into A & E with a bit of discomfort in the chest. Only to be admitted to CCU, Daft thing is I feel fine.

Ouch! Hope they get to the bottom of it ASAP and sort you out!

And neither were invented by the Scots nor the Irish :)

Who DID invent Whisk(e)y then? I know that distillation of spirits from wine predates that from any grain fermentation but where was the leap made from Brandy to Whisk(e)y?

Who DID invent Whisk(e)y then? I know that distillation of spirits from wine predates that from any grain fermentation but where was the leap made from Brandy to Whisk(e)y?
It's a foreign invention. So it'll be illegal under Brexit.

Yes, 4600+ pieces Starting it tonight.
Do you have the 60072 starter set with the civil engineers*?
How about a shot-a-day with those li'l guys posed building the fire house?
Have them lugging bricks, arguing about the instructions with Zeddmore, getting chased by Slimer, dropping a window on Venkman...
You could make a whole photo thread out of this!

*Or for that matter any of the other construction guys.

The Chinese, allegedly, were distilling spirit directly from rice grain (not via rice wine) in days which greatly predate the old sky fairy.

Well my big Christmas present was a heart attack. Walked into A & E with a bit of discomfort in the chest. Only to be admitted to CCU, Daft thing is I feel fine.

Blimey fella, thank goodness you visited A&E early!
Feel better (even though you don't feel too bad) soon!

but it's not half as nice stirred into your tea!
I would say fair point well presented, but I doubt there is much to choose between the tastes :D

You are in the best place

My triple CABG is over 10 years old now... I went to A&E feeling weedy... had 4 MIs there and finally walked out on my own 2 feet... 105 days later [emoji6]

Look agter yourself and do as they advise!

Steve

Last edited:
Got a nice bottle of Bain's South African Whisky to add to my collection.

Exactly.
And neither were invented by the Scots nor the Irish :)

I can understand that distilled spirits might predate whisk(e)y however on the basis that both words comes from the gaelic language, i struggle to understand where else whisky comes from.

Can you enlighten me.

See post 131.
Whisk(e)y is merely a name given to a spirit distilled from grain.
I'm not denying Celts came up with the name (and gave it a nice colour via aging in barrels), but they didn't invent the process of distilling from grain.

I completely agree with @Bobsyeruncle regarding the perfecting of the end result though. :)

The colour doesnt come from Aging in barrels. Caramel is added to give ut the colour and each whisky has a colour it needs to reach.
The colour does come from the barrels. Caramel is used if required to standardise the colour depending on the barrels used, so is not always an ingredient, and some whiskies don't use any form of artificial colouring at all, just the natural colour from the barrels during the maturing process

Last edited:
Cheers , i thought that the colouring from the barrels was really weak unless it was a first useage barrel. I know that in my work they add the caramel to get to the correct colouring( they have a scale they use) as it looks poor when it comes in from the barrels etc. I work with Hendricks Gin so it doesnt have the colouring so know little about the full whisky process.

Last edited:
The colour doesnt come from Aging in barrels. Caramel is added to give ut the colour and each whisky has a colour it needs to reach.

Incorrect.

Back