what if uk leaves eu - effect on prices

they don't class themselves as British. Being British is a fluke of birth,
I think the word for them is subversive.
I'm sorry they don't like the country they were born in, educated in, found work in, possibly got married in and or earned enough to buy / rent accommodation.

All of the above applies to me, and I'm proud to be British, but then again if you declare national pride, it some how makes you a racist.

Being born British - or anything else, or being born with one skin colour or another IS a fluke of birth. It's what we do with the hand of cards that we're dealt that is within our own control.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being patriotic, and patriotism isn't automatically racism.
Personally, I'm proud of my Welsh heritage, and I'm also proud of my father, his father, his father etc right back to the Peninsular wars, who fought (and sometimes died) for their country.

There seems to be some kind of correlation between the age of the voter and the way in which they voted, with most of the older generation having voted to leave and most of the younger generation having voted to remain. I'll leave it to cleverer people than me to analyse the reasons for this, but I can't help wondering whether many of the older people may have anti european views simply because of their age. Take me for example, I was born right at the end of WW2, just about every man who affected my life when I was growing up had made a contribution to the war effort, Germans were generally hated, Japanese were very much hated, Italians and French were despised and a lot of my family, neighbours, teachers etc bore physical or mental scars from which they could never recover.
My own father was proud to be racist and belonged to a far right group.
I think that I escaped that fate through education and travel, I've been to a lot of places, not just as a tourist but also to work, and I've learned that people are all pretty much the same, regardless of where they were accidentally born

leaving the details of the politics out for now, i think we should be getting less insular not more. we are all part of the same world and i love the diversity that immigration brings. roll on zero boundary's please!

Just got back to the office for the first time in a month. It's chaos.

What the leave supporters don't realise is that for many of the younger remain supporters, they don't class themselves as British. Being British is a fluke of birth, but being European, and working towards a joint Europe is a choice they've made and embraced. You've effectively tried to strip them of a status they care deeply about and have worked towards for all their adult life.

Yeah because old people never knew a world without the EU. The initial vote was to join a common market, not be ruled by them.

They still are European, the country isnt getting towed away. Be interesting to know what the youngsters have done for Europe? Not like old people did anything for Europe :D

The leave supporter may know that and they may not care, just like the remain dont care about the other side. Thats why you put an X in one box or an X in the other, its a ballot, not a bloody debate.

There still seems to be this obsession that if people are old they must have done something in the war. If you were 18 in 1945, you'd be 89 now. Only 0.8% of the population are old enough according to the last census figures

There still seems to be this obsession that if people are old they must have done something in the war. If you were 18 in 1945, you'd be 89 now. Only 0.8% of the population are old enough according to the last census figures
Not really, they all voted to join the common market, worked for years etc and have seen post war austerity etc.

Youngsters haven't

Yeah because old people never knew a world without the EU. The initial vote was to join a common market, not be ruled by them.

They still are European, the country isnt getting towed away. Be interesting to know what the youngsters have done for Europe? Not like old people did anything for Europe :D

The leave supporter may know that and they may not care, just like the remain dont care about the other side. Thats why you put an X in one box or an X in the other, its a ballot, not a bloody debate.

This old person knew a world long before the Eu
I served abroad. And later worked abroad in spain, I knew the good and bad of Europe.
I remember well our battles to join Europe and the many rejections.
when the time came I voted to join.
It gave us hope after a long period of financial decline.
I have no idea what the leave"old people" are remembering
times have been far better since we became a member.

Nearly all the bad times were inflicted by failings of our own governments not Europe.

Um... no, it's worth considerable less now:
Exchange rates

but is on its way back up - wear it will stay until we enact article 50 at which point it will crash again , then recover and so on - what is disturbing the market (both shares and currency) is uncertainty and confusion about what happens now - once theres a definite plan in place it will bounce

its also worth noting that sterling being weak against the dollar actually encourage investors to move to sterling because they get more pounds for their Dollar/Yen/euro - likewise a depressed market encourages people to buy stock in the hope of getting bargains. Weak sterling also encourages tourism since foreign visitors get more pounds for their money which benefits our rural economy ... these things are a lot more complicated than weak = bad / strong = good

but is on its way back up - wear it will stay until we enact article 50 at which point it will crash again , then recover and so on - what is disturbing the market (both shares and currency) is uncertainty and confusion about what happens now - once theres a definite plan in place it will bounce

its also worth noting that sterling being weak against the dollar actually encourage investors to move to sterling because they get more pounds for their Dollar/Yen/euro - likewise a depressed market encourages people to buy stock in the hope of getting bargains. Weak sterling also encourages tourism since foreign visitors get more pounds for their money which benefits our rural economy ... these things are a lot more complicated than weak = bad / strong = good
It's risen slightly over the last few hours, but that rise is due to
1. The Bank of England continuing to support our currency by spending unbelievable amounts of money propping it up - which isn't sustainable unless a decision is made to increase QE even further - which in effect is just printing more money, which further devalues the currency and leaves everyone worse off. Zimbabwe is perhaps the best (or worst) example of this.
2. Some traders who sold Sterling now taking a small profit by buying back, which happens all the time, it's very short term and if the price continues to rise, they will go back into reverse, that's the nature of the market.

Don't look at the hourly figures, look at the weekly figures.
And, as time goes on, look at the monthly and then annual figures. Short term losses are almost irrelevant, long term losses are catastrophic.

if you look at the yearly figures its now nearly back to where it was in february - all currencies fluctuate but sterling is inherently stable and will remain so whether we are in the EU or not ( I voted remain btw, i just don't feel the need to predict financial apocalypse because i didnt get my way) , this is distinctly not true of the euro which would have crashed horribly were germany and to a lesser extent france not propping it up to protect their own economies.

Also the dollar is fairly strong at the moment - come the uncertainity zone arround the american election and it will weaken against both the pound and the euro

As to the Yen , sterling may have dropped against it but it is still 133 yen to £1 which isnt a great indictment of the japanese economic strength - they are hardly swapping 1 for 1 with any major currency

if you look at the yearly figures its now nearly back to where it was in february
The February value was itself a low point, presumably due to the announcement of the referendum, and we're solidly below that still. It feels like the value is more or less settling for now after the initial dip on Friday. I think this is pretty much what was expected, though, and doesn't necessarily mean it won't recover in the long term. In my view we just need to be honest about where we are, without any agenda.

How many Brexit voters would have voted for a reduction in their income of 10 to 15% ?

Me for one. Short term pain for long term gain. Despite everything that's been going on in the very short period since the results, I am very optimistic and excited about Britains future. I am intrigued however, as to who has seen a 10-15% reduction in income, other than retired ex-pats that spend their days lounging in the sun.

I just hope we get a decent leader that will ensure we get the best deal without handing back control to the EU.

Last edited:
Any one who has a pension pot, savings, and any sort of investments will have had them devalued by around 10% so far.

They may be 'devalued' at the moment but you only lose anything if you eventually realise their value at a level less than their cost.

I've been watching my share prices bounce around for the last 35 years and ups and downs are nothing new. I sold nothing in the 2008 recession so I lost nothing.

I voted remain btw, i just don't feel the need to predict financial apocalypse because i didnt get my way...
Wash your mouth out! There's no place for common sense here. Don't you know you should be on social media whinging about the result? That's what the rest of the 16 million Remain voters seem to be doing. Still.

Wash your mouth out! There's no place for common sense here.

Sorry I forgot that was in the TP rules :LOL:

tbh IMO people need to stop caterogrising themselves depending on how they voted last week - there are a lot of complex issues facing the country whether we stay in the EU/ how we leave is just one, and we are stronger together than seperated in to lots of bickering groups. One of the things that makes our system of government work is the concept of loyal oposition... which means that I can still find common cause with someone who has diamertrically opposed views politically speaking if we are both British patriots and want whats best for our country (however much we disagree about what 'best' looks like )

obviously this does have limits and I can't find common cause with racist thugs who seem to believe Hitler was right but didnt go far enough... but i realise that these whelk molesters are not representative of the 'leave' campaign and are basically just hijacking the leave bandwagon to spread their hateful philosphy - just as they try to hijack the poppy meme/lee rigby/ help for heroes etc.

Back