What is the photograph you are bored rigid from seeing

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Think mine would be that bloody Puffin with a gob full of Sandeels.
Is it the same one or maybe a model nailed to the cliff top

Can think of a few other candidates, but what is your least favourite?

A lot!!
On Instagram photos reappear every few days
Some are several year's old!!

I know this is going to be unpopular with some people, but someone has to say it!

All landscapes!

They've all been done before! If I see one more photo of a mountain reflected in a lake, rocks and heather, or flipping Glencoe I'll scream!

Yes, we've all taken them. Yes, they can look very pretty. Yes, friends and family seem to like them. Yes, some of them require photographic skill, personal effort, braving of the elements, getting up when it's still dark to set up the shot in time, etc. etc. But they've all been done before... and for that reason I'm bored stiff by them!

Last edited:
I know this is going to be unpopular with some people, but someone has to say it!

All landscapes!

They've all been done before! If I see one more photo of a mountain reflected in a lake, rocks and heather, or flipping Glencoe I'll scream!

Yes, we've all taken them. Yes, they can look very pretty. Yes, friends and family seem to like them. Yes, some of them require photographic skill, personal effort, braving of the elements, getting up when it's still dark to set up the shot in time, etc. etc. But they've all been done before... and for that reason I'm bored stiff by them!

That’s hilarious.

Not correct though. They have most certainly not all been done before.

All landscapes!

I disagree strongly, I don’t even think we’ve scratched the surface. It’s just the photos you/I are exposed to the most are simply repeat/derivative captures taken by the paint by numbers brigade.

Tele shots of the moon - guilty of it myself, got a tonne of moon shots in my back cat, and if they weren't dated there'd be very little difference between them. I much prefer wider angle shots that include the moon, much more room for some creativity.

LE waterfalls or fast rivers over rocks too - also guilty at one point but I prefer a more natural looking scene now, some of them would give you nausea

If I never see another Kingfisher photo it would still be too bloody soon. I stopped clicking on the kingfisher threads on this site years ago, but they occasionally turn up in other threads and catch me out.

Rock on a lakeshore with a mountain.
Sunset/Sunrise at the Lake District/Iceland/Scotland. Esp if it's a rock on a lakeshore.
Images where HDR, stacking, or LR sliders are used to bring down all the highlights and lift all the shadows (ironically removing any dynamic range).
Well lit portraits of bored looking people.
Street photography of people looking at their phones.

You're bored by other people's pictures? Really?

I think you're probably just bored of life then, and you know what the solution is to that.

May I suggest just going offline for a year.

Looks like many of us are bored by certain images. You never get tired of seeing the same ol' thing posted over and over? [not just on here, across the intrawebs in general]

It's no so much other people's images, it's the repetitive subjects across the board, like I added 2 that I'm guilty of also so even my own images bore me at times

For me, portraits shot with as shallow depth of field as possible, often at the expense of the photo.

Don't get me wrong, it absolutely has its place, but owning the 85mm 1.2l or 135mm 1.8 doesn't make every image a good one.

I say this as someone absolutely guilty of having done the same - having a great location, then shooting at 200mm f/4 to blur the hell out of it and stand far back enough to compress it all down. Ooopsies :)

I guess I get a little concerned when I see the same landscapes (currently Iceland) popping up. Nothing wrong with the images, but these are beautiful untouched parts of the world that now get a lot of footfall because of photographers. There are loads of wonderful undiscovered landscapes out there.

I'm going to put out a category rather than a single photo... Photos that fail to express any emotion, any soul, any connection.

I think that covers much of what has been said above, from landscape to long exposure to street, perhaps the largest category of photos we see are much more about the photographer "playing with the toys" rather than producing meaningful work.

I wouldn’t ever rule out any single subject, there are good photos of Glencoe, some excellent long exposure seascapes, some fine natural history records of birds on sticks, even the possibility of a good Bamburgh castle image (but never yet a worthwhile Ashness Bridge shot :) ) but there is a huge difference between an image from someone who really connects with both the subject and the technique and someone who goes through the motions.

For me it's that lake district shot taken up high looking down on a lake (the place that had a wooden stile in the forground thats now gone, cant remember the name) nothing wrong with the shot and theres some smashing ones on this forum, it's just I keep seeing the same shot taken by different people (even videos on youtube) it's everywhere you look.

Shallow depth of field or big stopper as the main feature of what is a boring picture.
Don't think I have seen both at the same time, it will either be ground breaking or make my eyes bleed.

Ha! But it's not the only one - there's one at Llanberis that also gets done to death. And in fact 'lone tree' has become a genre.

You know what...the one I'm thinking of is actually the Llanberis one, it used to have 3 branches and now only has 2 (and now isn't particularly photogenic anyway).

but what is your least favourite?
None.

I don't like every picture by any means but none of them "bore" me let alone "bore me rigid". It's like so many postings on the internet: none of them bore me though many don't catch my interest.

Someone once observed that a music lover uses their hi-fi to listen to music, an audiophile uses music to listen to their hi-fi.

Perhaps there's a parallel?

I like that analogy...I'm a huge audio nerd myself and have taken great pleasure in the past of determining the exact perfect place to put the speakers, where to place acoustic treatment and where to sit to get the perfect experience.

Then listen to something no doubt over mastered and squashed to within an inch of it's life for broadcast release haha.

None.

I don't like every picture by any means but none of them "bore" me let alone "bore me rigid". It's like so many postings on the internet: none of them bore me though many don't catch my interest.
This really. I'm not interested in birds, motor racing, fashion, macro some of the stuff presented as art or 'creative' images. But bored stiff? Not at all, and I'm glad people keep taking those pictures.

Last edited:
Aren't many of these part of the "right of passage" for photographer on the learning path?

Many course suggest running water as a subject to teach shutter speed. Others include ultra wide autumnal hay bales to teach how f number and point of focus impact depth of field, hyperfocal distance, Train tracks and Piers for leading lines / vanishing point.

Same with Fisheyes / Tiltshifts, Brenizer Method, Focus Stacking, Close ups with wide angle to teach min focus distance. All of these are things to have in the arsenal that have been done in cliche but allows the learning of photography.

I guess that is why they are posted so often because they are part of the learning path.

If I never see another Kingfisher photo it would still be too bloody soon. I stopped clicking on the kingfisher threads on this site years ago, but they occasionally turn up in other threads and catch me out.

I know what you’re saying - but, having never even seen a kingfisher in real life (72 years), I’d love the opportunity to photograph one for myself :confused:

Back