Votes: 9 3.2%
  • M

Votes: 115 41.1%
  • AUTO

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
M all the way ;)

oops i voted auto i ment A i allways use that for 30 years

Av most of the time for me at the moment, still learning.
However if I have a lot of time to to spare I stick it on manual and jump into he deep end.

Same as Briony, went from Auto to M and love it...haven't done any motorsports with the 300 yet, but I would assume I would use S for that or for Birding...

Roo

"It depends" would've been a good option to have on the poll.

If I'm shooting something fast, birds of prey, racing, etc. I'm often in shutter priority. If I'm trying to control depth of field, I'll use aperture priority. If I'm trying to survey a location before setting up lights and bringing in the talent, I'll shoot aperture priority to get a basic meter of the scene from within the camera before going fully manual to underexpose then add flash.

yes... yes...and yes to the above for me too (y)

although i tend to use manual 'most' of the time, i went from auto straight to manual... mainly because i went from a 350d to a 5d.. and all of a sudden it was... 'hang on, where's the buttons gone for sports, macro and landscape mode?'

I shoot mostly M, occaisinally A. I like to have complete control of the exposure, plus, as I am still learning and getting "the feel" of light and its affects on exposure it helps me learn the way everything links together.

Most of the time, I shoot in P and shift it either way to get the shutter speed or aperture I feel I need rather than the one the camera thinks I need.

M when shooting for stitching panopramas to get the exposure consistent across the stitch.

S when I want to stick to a pre-determined shutter speed for many shots (mainly motorsport where I usually pan).

A rarely - I can shift P to get smaller apertures for greater DoF but if I want to get the fastest shutter speeds possible, I'll go to A and set the lens's maximum.

Full auto on most compacts - they do a fairly good job of it and aren't as easy to adjust settings as SLRs.

I use them all depending on context.

P when I know I've got the ISO I want but the light is changing too quickly and/or I'm on a walkabout and want to make sure that my settings aren't totally wrong if I take a snap quickly.

A/S quite rarely now but tend to be for when I'm shooting the same subject for a prolonged period and/or the light is constant.

M is what I use most often as I tend to know more than the camera about what I'm trying to do which is usually not get a 'perfectly exposed' image

AUTO (with or without flash supressed) I use a lot when chasing after the kids.

90% A

I always use partial metering and generally know how the exposure will turn out so I set the aperture for the depth of field I want and let the camera take care of the shutter speed. I don't do sports so I normally judge a fast enough shutter speed by the sound it makes :)
If it sounds a bit slow then I'll look and see what it was and change something. Too fast usually means I've forgotten to put the ISO back down again.

The other 10% is M. For using the flash and for panoramas where I'll want to stitch equally exposed shots together. Generally though I'd rather take the shot than watch an indicator in the viewfinder.

Virtually always in manual, but occasionally Av for candids and walkabout.

Manual for everything. Best piece of learning I ever did was when I had a 1D - no auto mode on that puppy! Forced me to build up my understanding.

Normally Aperture mode but sometimes in shutter mode (motorsport etc). If i'm looking for an 'effect' then I will shoot in Manual mode.

P mode - heard about it but it looks too clever for me so never used it. :D

The poll options seem to be missing a check box:

The program mode along with the metering mode that best suits the circumstance.

:|

Manual 99.9% of the time and what ever the dial lands on for the rest when I accidently nudge it :LOL:.

Totally manual on all my cameras, mostly manual focusing as well.

John :)

A and M, when I get to a situation that I would need to adjust the shutter speed I choose to go fully manual, but most of the time I'm on aperture priority.

99% manual with spot metering but sometimes I will shoot in Shutter Priority if light is changeable in a the forest.

DB

I always shoot in manual as i feel it is the best way to learn about the relationship of shutter/aperture/ISO and i always shoot in RAW so I can adjust any over/under exposed pics (y)

Since I am into motorsports, aviation, and things that move around, I use the 'S' mode ~80%. I use Manual for really close up shots and Aperture where low DoF is important with cluttered backgrounds.

I am surprised that there are not more togs who major on Shutter priority considering the well represented motorsports sections in TP. Maybe the landscapers and portraiters just outnumber us!

Ed

Any of those... or two round burst for a double tap :D

Generally A but sometimes S

Havent gone totally manual yet but hopefully will at some point

Aperture priority almost exclusively, centre weighted metering, back button focus and a good dose of exposure compensation. The aperture priority bias probably comes from starting out on an ME Super.

Mostly A as well. It's second to P in simplicity/ease/convenience yet still allows a fairly good control of the situation.
I usually put P on for the wife instead of auto.

Back