What NOT to do as a Photographer!!

Nothing or no one will stop for the Queens Guard - marching troops have right of way when performing duties of the Crown

Surely this buffoon who lacked complete social awareness knew what was going to go. Did he not hear the approaching hob-nail boots ??

Well done to the Guardsman who did his duty !

Last edited:
Pity we didn`t see where the chap ended up!

On his backside, I would assume ;)

The more I look at it, the more I feel it's staged. he has a silly look on his face, when he calls the woman over to him. Also, how can he not see them preparing to start off?

Last edited:
The woman looks up and sees them coming, but does nothing. He calls her over just to the spot they are going to march at, he seems to be pretending to show her something. Just does not look natural to me.

Probably a cheap poundland pair :D

Must admit I do have cheap Home Bargains specs all over the place, must have about twenty pairs. Two at my bedside two at my computer station, a pair in each of my jackets and coats. The rest as back ups, plus one expensive pair that cost about £100 that I no longer use!

Last edited:
I love the fact his Mrs MUST have seen them and says absolutely nothing.......Obviously she's found out the ACTUAL price of camera gear and not the "husband" price!! :)

(Please replace husband with Wife/partner/animal.....in the interests of political correctness)

Last edited:
lmfao I seen a very similar thing happen to a guy photographing the 12th of July Orange celebrations here last year.

Bit confused by this. Obviously I'm not in possession of the full facts but from the video alone, but surely it's the soldier at fault here?

OK, the guy was being a bit dosey (I find that a large percentage of the public at large can be, not excluding myself). He'd wandered into the road with his back to the marchers (and he's carrying a camera, but not actively taking photo's so I feel the photographer label is a bit irrelevant); but surely military training enables soldiers to identify an upcoming hazard and act accordingly (i.e use a bit of common sense)? If the drill sergeant (or whoever) could see the upcoming obstacle he could call a stop to the march and get the people out of the way. Admittedly it all happened a bit quick so he may not have reacted in time, but the soldier that kept on ploughing through should have had the power to react accordingly and prevent a collision? I mean, we get training to do this type of thing as part of our driving tests. I expect military training would help equip individuals with the ability to react instantly to a wide variety of scenarios.

What if the tourist had been a bit older? Crashing into them like that might have done some serious damage and it's not like this was a war zone. It all seems a bit unnecessary to me. Mind you, it's an isolated incident. I'm sure numerous issues of a similar nature occur all the time and they may well play out differently.

Bit confused by this. Obviously I'm not in possession of the full facts but from the video alone, but surely it's the soldier at fault here?

From what I can tell, the soldier was where he was supposed to be. The tourist/photographer was not. I can't see how the soldier could be to blame for the incident.

From what I can tell, the soldier was where he was supposed to be. The tourist/photographer was not. I can't see how the soldier could be to blame for the incident.

I have to agree with Timmy here

As for the Soldier being where he was supposed to be, he was also looking straight at the guy when he ploughed into him, the guy would have needed eyes in the back of his head to avoid the collision, so not sure how it can be the "tourists" fault, and i don't see any lines painted on the ground or barrier tape where the march was supposed to happen

Why wasn't the tourist supposed to be there? There seems to be a lot of tourists around so I don't think it should have come at great surprise to find another one.

As for the Soldier being where he was supposed to be, he was also looking straight at the guy when he ploughed into him, the guy would have needed eyes in the back of his head to avoid the collision, so not sure how it can be the "tourists" fault, and i don't see any lines painted on the ground or barrier tape where the march was supposed to happen
Agreed. Common sense on behalf of the public tells you not to block or get in the way of a troop of soldiers, and I'm sure he would leap out the way as soon as he saw them coming. The point is, he didn't see them. The soldier saw him but did nothing, carried on regardless, and thereby caused the incident.

We only have a short snapshot of the event so we are not sure if people were warned beforehand, or where this took place (but it seems a public space to me. If we can't trust real live soldiers to be able to react in a reasonable manner then bring on the drones I say! A google car would have stopped.

Watch it again they're there to watch the parade there's clear cobbled line delimits the path they're marching along and they've chosen to stand on the wrong side of it. They march at a fair pace and there's about 10 soldiers marching behind him if the first guy stops he's going to be the one gets trampled over. It would be like standing in the middle of a race track at formula one to get a photo and blaming the driver for hitting you as they come round the corner.

End of the day a gang with machine guns whether royal guards or not I'd be keeping well out their way as they stormed towards me.

Watch it again they're there to watch the parade there's clear cobbled line delimits the path they're marching along and they've chosen to stand on the wrong side of it. They march at a fair pace and there's about 10 soldiers marching behind him if the first guy stops he's going to be the one gets trampled over. It would be like standing in the middle of a race track at formula one to get a photo and blaming the driver for hitting you as they come round the corner.

End of the day a gang with machine guns whether royal guards or not I'd be keeping well out their way as they stormed towards me.
Even in that scenario, the soldier should still have attempted to prevent the collision. A formula one driver would at least do that, even if it was impossible to avoid.

The soldier saw him but did nothing, carried on regardless, and thereby caused the incident.

Surely the tourist caused the incident by being where he shouldn't have been? What do you suggest the soldier should have done?

Last edited:
why should he, his options as far as I can see are either stop dead putting himself at risk, turn right in to the area the rest of the public are standing putting them at risk, turn left into the other soldiers putting them at risk or flatten the idiot standing where he shouldn't be standing.

Also, watching the video again, there are a couple of other tourists on the road along with our protagonist (I think it is why he chose to stop there rather than continuing further back). He's actually standing in a similar spot to them, but they happen to see the approaching troop and moved out of the way (you see, they used their common sense). Sadly our guy was looking the wrong way, and the rest is history..

No, the tourist caused the incident by being where he shouldn't have been. What do you suggest the soldier should have done?

Slowed down at the very least. Moving to avoid the collision would have been a better alternative.
why should he, his options as far as I can see are either stop dead putting himself at risk, turn right in to the area the rest of the public are standing putting them at risk, turn left into the other soldiers putting them at risk or flatten the idiot standing where he shouldn't be standing.
Plenty of space to move around to the right from what I can tell. Also, the guy marching behind him had a fair gap in front. Plenty of time to react if needed by my judgement. From what I can see this accident was entirely avoidable.

Slowed down at the very least. Moving to avoid the collision would have been a better alternative.

I think it's fair to debate what action may or may not have been appropriate for the soldier to take, although I'm not necessarily convinced he had many options, but I just can't see how the responsibility for the incident could ever rest on his shoulders.

From what I can see this accident was entirely avoidable.

The incident only ever occurred, because the tourist was where he shouldn't have been, not because the soldier continued marching. The soldier was always going to be there.

Still looks a little suspicious to me. The woman who gets called by the fella, comes from the side of the person doing the video.

A bit like, make sure you get this on video. It will get loads of hits. Besides, what did he call her over for? Looks like he was pretending to show her something ! Even the way he stumbles, looks like he is smirking.

Person doing video is recording the silly man, video person then probably says to woman, right you go over and try and make it look real.

Last edited:
the soldier is obviously responsible for knocking the man over

the fact that the man shouldn't have been there is neither here nor there, if I'm driving on the motorway and there is a man in the road i can't just mow him down as he shouldn't be there.

All the solider had to do was stop and this 'accident' would have been avoided, it would still have been a case of an idiot being oblivious and getting in the way, but that doesn't justify knocking him over.

The incident only ever occurred, because the tourist was where he shouldn't have been, not because the soldier continued marching. The soldier was always going to be there.

Quite clearly the Solder wasn't always going to be there, he isn't a locomotive on some train tracks, he is a human being with eyes and a brain, he could easily avoided contact if he wanted and had plenty of time and opportunity to do so, he made the conscious decision not too

Now i'm not saying the tourist is in the right here, but clearly the tourist at the time of the incident could not see the hazard approaching, the soldier could and took no avoiding measures, if this were a car accident and the solider drove straight into a parked car without taking any avoiding measures, who would be to blame?

They should have at least shouted 'make way' a couple of paces before the guy was hit rather than after. There are plenty of vulnerable people out there who could be severely injured or worse by something like this. At Windsor the Police make sure that the route is clear for Changing the Guard.

Plenty of space to move around to the right from what I can tell. Also, the guy marching behind him had a fair gap in front. Plenty of time to react if needed by my judgement. From what I can see this accident was entirely avoidable.

Are you see seriously suggesting the Queens Guard go around the obstacle. That's madness, marching troops have right of way. Crown Duty. The photographer deserved everything he got. The lady who shouted "stupid man" got it exactly right !

Are you see seriously suggesting the Queens Guard go around the obstacle. That's madness, marching troops have right of way. Crown Duty. The photographer deserved everything he got. The lady who shouted "stupid man" got it exactly right !

and what if a child had wandered in front of them, or a pregnant woman, or a person with a disability?

to say they have right of way so it's ok is pretty stupid.

and also 'Crown Duty'?? Really?? You think being on crown duty makes it ok to deliberately knock a man to the floor when he obviously doesn't know you are there?

Yes the man who got knocked over is stupid for paying no attention, but knocking someone to the floor on purpose is hardly the correct response to stupidity.

People have to take some responsibility for their own actions. Feckless adults need to take responsibility for there offspring. Pregnant women have more spacial awareness that's evolution for you !

and also 'Crown Duty'?? Really?? You think being on crown duty makes it ok to deliberately knock a man to the floor when he obviously doesn't know you are there?

Yes the man who got knocked over is stupid for paying no attention, but knocking someone to the floor on purpose is hardly the correct response to stupidity.

The Guardsman did his duty, somebody waving a toy gun could of ended up with a bit of cold steel inside him. Falling to the floor was not a deliberate act but a consequence of the idiot not looking where he was going. It could happen in the high street on a pavement, if you bump into a person who's tall or muscular build whilst not looking where your going you'll end up on the pavement too. You've completely missed the point that the guardsman carried out his duty. Military public duties are hazardous at the best of times, in particular in the current climate. You have seconds to judge a situation, a threat and make a decision. If you've never served in HM Forces then this will be probably lost on you.

Back