What NOT to do as a Photographer!!

Being employed in a ridiculous job doesn't make it OK to barge into people in the street. It makes you just as obnoxious as a baker or candlestick-maker would be if they deliberately barged into someone in the street.

He hardly barged into someone on the street though; this was a scheduled marching route. I also can't recall a time I've seen police clear out a route for a baker or candlestick maker either, so I can't see how that's comparable.

Because, "Being employed in a ridiculous job doesn't make it OK to barge into people in the street".

Yes, but this simply wasn't a case of ordinary people just walking down the street, so your statement still doesn't apply no matter how many times you say it or what you think of the military. :thinking:

Last edited:
Yes, but this simply wasn't a case of ordinary people just walking down the street, so your statement still doesn't apply no matter how many times you say it or what you think of the military. :thinking:

It's not that big a deal, it was someone bumping into someone in the street. But people saying, he works in the military, so it's OK, in fact it was the other person's fault. Really? There is no reasonable reason for that. Pomp and circumstance isn't a reasonable reason.

Well i'm sure he knew that they were going to be walking down that road at some point or he wouldn't have been there with hundreds of other people.

You can clearly hear the tourist saying "what a ridiculous job they are have" just before the soldier, who has just returned from 2 tours in Afghanistan with 3 fewer mates, hits his "target".

How did I miss this? There's some quality willy waving on this thread.

For the person who said the soldiers are just ceremonial, there have been a number of instances where troops on parade have broken to provide assistance with intruders. On one video shown by blank canvas, you'll see a guardsman stepping in towards the intruder. Certainly down the mall will be additional servicemen lining the route for exactly these reasons and they are instructed as such. There's a significant briefing for these occasions.

As to the 'if they did it to me I'd put him on the floor comments', I doubt you would, or if you did then there are protocols and procedures in place for this also. There are a number of his colleagues behind him who at which point would stop and detain. Whilst not loaded the rifles will have bayonets unsheathed.

Ceremonial duties are exactly that, ceremonial, for which you are drilled, for hours to be in perfect step, time, to respond to the drill sergeants commands.
The only person permitted to deviate the troops or say anything would have been the drill sergeant. That training in ingrained, drilled in over hours and hours of work to get that perfect timing. It's this that someone who hasn't been in the forces probably doesn't understand, which is why I'm trying to explain.

The soldier couldn't have halted. Each move of a squad is controlled with a prewarning and then the move command. A halt by the soldier would have everyone behind piling in like a comedy moment. In an ideal world a swerve may have been appropriate, but the person marching close behind is generally unsighted (especially with bearskins). As such the soldier took a reasonable response in the only way possible to move the person out of the way of oncoming troops by I guess he thought glancing a blow whilst maintaining the required dignified marching pose. Only trouble is it turned into more of a barge.

Bearing in mind he had a few seconds to decide, not the benefit of sitting at a keyboard, pouring over pedantry. I'm sure that decision was taken as it was a man. A woman, OAP, child may have solicited a swerve as an option.

IMHO, having performed ceremonial duties.

How did I miss this? There's some quality willy waving on this thread.

For the person who said the soldiers are just ceremonial, there have been a number of instances where troops on parade have broken to provide assistance with intruders. On one video shown by blank canvas, you'll see a guardsman stepping in towards the intruder. Certainly down the mall will be additional servicemen lining the route for exactly these reasons and they are instructed as such. There's a significant briefing for these occasions.

As to the 'if they did it to me I'd put him on the floor comments', I doubt you would, or if you did then there are protocols and procedures in place for this also. There are a number of his colleagues behind him who at which point would stop and detain. Whilst not loaded the rifles will have bayonets unsheathed.

Ceremonial duties are exactly that, ceremonial, for which you are drilled, for hours to be in perfect step, time, to respond to the drill sergeants commands.
The only person permitted to deviate the troops or say anything would have been the drill sergeant. That training in ingrained, drilled in over hours and hours of work to get that perfect timing. It's this that someone who hasn't been in the forces probably doesn't understand, which is why I'm trying to explain.

The soldier couldn't have halted. Each move of a squad is controlled with a prewarning and then the move command. A halt by the soldier would have everyone behind piling in like a comedy moment. In an ideal world a swerve may have been appropriate, but the person marching close behind is generally unsighted (especially with bearskins). As such the soldier took a reasonable response in the only way possible to move the person out of the way of oncoming troops by I guess he thought glancing a blow whilst maintaining the required dignified marching pose. Only trouble is it turned into more of a barge.

Bearing in mind he had a few seconds to decide, not the benefit of sitting at a keyboard, pouring over pedantry. I'm sure that decision was taken as it was a man. A woman, OAP, child may have solicited a swerve as an option.

IMHO, having performed ceremonial duties.
Why do military types think they are invincible. Any monkey can wear a costume that don't give you a chin.

It sickens me that pros think because they have a silly hat on the can barge an old man out of the way rather than taking basic steps to move out of the way. It's pure arrogance and one of the reasons these stupid ceremonies have no place in modern society.

Last edited:
You carry on chap - we're not going to change your mind, just trying to explain the circumsyances behind this which aren't obvious.

I can tell you know someone like me would put the average solder on the deck with ease.
I have tested my skills many times against many soldiers

My personal training and experince is comprehensive but includes many years working at a high level as an instructor of close quarters combat and realistic self defense techniques,
That combined with around 30 professional muay thia fights, 10 MMA fights and more grappling tournaments than i can count lets just say i am pretty experienced.
In a situation in the middle of London I would happy bet on myself.

Remember Children, Drug abuse is wrong...
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/anabolic-steroids
However, long-term steroid use can affect some of the same brain pathways and chemicals—including dopamine, serotonin, and opioid systems—that are affected by other drugs, and thereby may have a significant impact on mood and behavior.

Abuse of anabolic steroids may lead to aggression and other psychiatric problems, for example. Although many users report feeling good about themselves while on steroids, extreme mood swings can also occur, including manic-like symptoms and anger (“roid rage”) that may lead to violence. Researchers have also observed that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility.

Having fought and beat many serving and ex soliders i know this is not the case.

This goes for both in the ring and on the street in my more reckless youth and years working the doors

Ah doorman - that explains everything. Tell me did you have a uniform, nice top to identify yourself?

You carry on chap - we're not going to change your mind, just trying to explain the circumsyances behind this which aren't obvious.

Remember Children, Drug abuse is wrong...
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/anabolic-steroids
However, long-term steroid use can affect some of the same brain pathways and chemicals—including dopamine, serotonin, and opioid systems—that are affected by other drugs, and thereby may have a significant impact on mood and behavior.

Abuse of anabolic steroids may lead to aggression and other psychiatric problems, for example. Although many users report feeling good about themselves while on steroids, extreme mood swings can also occur, including manic-like symptoms and anger (“roid rage”) that may lead to violence. Researchers have also observed that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility.

Ah doorman - that explains everything. Tell me did you have a uniform, nice top to identify yourself?
While yes I have worked the doors before actually most of my fights with military types have been part of my muay Thai carrier and fight coaching. We regularly get militarily types stepping in to train and they don't often last long. My last fight was actually a military man. That didn't end well for him either. The problem with military types is they fail to except that someone is always going to be better than you. That goes for everyone.

And no I have never touched gear. Thanks for noticing the hard work I put into staying in shape however...

But of course as a military Brown nose type I am sure you think the uniform makes you invincible l.. any time you want to test that you ar more than welcome in my gym. I have some 14 year olds who would oblige.

Last edited:
You keep writing about what other people think. As if you are a mind reader as well.

Last edited:
But of course as a military Brown nose type ...
Bless you for noticing my years of service to the country :hug:

And no I have never touched gear.

MMA’s Catch-22 Drug Trap: Why So Many Fighters Fall Into Addiction
http://www.cagepotato.com/mmas-catch-22-drug-trap-why-so-many-fighters-fall-into-addiction/

Must be something else causing his bad aggressive stance then...
Outside the ring, open wounds and close body contact are the main triggers for skin problems. Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a communicable skin problem common among MMA fighters, while ringworm, herpes simplex and impetigo are also endemic.

:D

Of course! Why is it madness? It's a very simple response which would result in the minimum of damage and risk. I'm struggling to understand how anyone can fail to see this, Crown Duty or otherwise!

I have never served in HM Forces so this is all lost on me. If I had seconds to judge that situation though I'm pretty sure I could figure out what needed to be done for the best outcome and act accordingly. As it is, everyone's looking a bit stupid with this result.

Exactly. He may well have orders to carry on regardless, but if so, those are stupid orders. If they want to jeopardise civilians just to show how good they are at marching it only serves to justify my decision not to join HM Forces.

TimmyG. I thought it was common knowledge but obviously not. The Queens guard stops for no one!
I believe this was the reason that the guards were move back inside the gates of Buckingham Palace. When they were outside the gates people were getting in the way ... and injured.

While yes I have worked the doors before actually most of my fights with military types have been part of my muay Thai carrier and fight coaching. We regularly get militarily types stepping in to train and they don't often last long. My last fight was actually a military man. That didn't end well for him either. The problem with military types is they fail to except that someone is always going to be better than you. That goes for everyone.

To be fair, your martial arts experience is underwhelming and pales into significance to my background and training. Did I bleat on about how good I am or what I've done. No ! The fact that that you made no mention of avoiding trouble or talking you're way out of it in the first instance speaks volumes to me!

Bless you for noticing my years of service to the country :hug:

MMA’s Catch-22 Drug Trap: Why So Many Fighters Fall Into Addiction
http://www.cagepotato.com/mmas-catch-22-drug-trap-why-so-many-fighters-fall-into-addiction/

Must be something else causing his bad aggressive stance then...
Outside the ring, open wounds and close body contact are the main triggers for skin problems. Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a communicable skin problem common among MMA fighters, while ringworm, herpes simplex and impetigo are also endemic.

:D
If you want to test those years of service again I extend my welcome to the gym anytime... I tell you what start off with one of the ten year olds. You may last more than a round then .

To be fair, your martial arts experience is underwhelming and pales into significance to my background and training. Did I bleat on about how good I am or what I've done. No ! The fact that that you made no mention of avoiding trouble or talking you're way out of it in the first instance speaks volumes to me!
Yawn

Go careful. They call me Mr. Muscle!

mr-muscle-300x233.jpg

Last edited:
Because, "Being employed in a ridiculous job doesn't make it OK to barge into people in the street".
It sickens me that pros think because they have a silly hat on the can barge an old man out of the way rather than taking basic steps to move out of the way. It's pure arrogance and one of the reasons these stupid ceremonies have no place in modern society.

So do we also blame the cyclist in the video linked below for not taking basic steps to get out of the way and barging into a guy in the middle of the street while on the job?

http://petapixel.com/2015/07/01/man...der-at-british-national-cycling-championship/

Last edited:
TimmyG. I thought it was common knowledge but obviously not. The Queens guard stops for no one!
I believe this was the reason that the guards were move back inside the gates of Buckingham Palace. When they were outside the gates people were getting in the way ... and injured.
No, I was never taught that at school and nobody has mentioned it to me until now. Not sure what difference that would make though, the guy didn't see them coming. The solution to keep the soldiers away from the public seems a perfectly reasonable one to me though and one I was arguing for, particularly if soldiers don't follow the rules of how to avoid injuring others (which are definitely common knowledge if not always followed).

Last edited:
But the cyclist had time to move out of the way?
Oh maybe I should watch the video before replying then ;)

Edit: ok I can't get it to play (I'm away at the moment and on a dodgy connection) but I suspect the answer is in the accompanying text: "...the man inexplicably stood his ground.."

Last edited:
My personal training and experince is comprehensive but includes many years working at a high level as an instructor of close quarters combat and realistic self defense techniques, many of the people i was teaching included police and military. That combined with around 30 professional muay thia fights, 10 MMA fights and more grappling tournaments than i can count lets just say i am pretty experienced. And i know many peop[le much better than me. The fact is someone will always be better than you and that goes for these clowns in fancy dress aswell.It also goes for me, maybe said guy is better trained... maybe not.

Most militaries teach a watered down version of, bjj , wrestling , boxing , kickboxing , thai , etc. Nothing polished enough as it is a system is designed to teach tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in basic hand to hand combat NOT one on one combat againts a truly trained individual. Would they beat me in a gun fight, YES. In a situation in the middle of London I would happy bet on myself.

Bang!

Mines 6.5

The term 'Average British Soldier' has been mentioned on here previously, this video might help you to understand.......

Take 3 minutes of your day and watch this. Oh, and marching is covered too !

Yeah but a ten year old could take him down the gym :D

Sat on the ridgeway last year with a friend, watching the fireworks from afar on bonfire day, so the bangs weren't really audible

We should not criticise those who choose not to serve, and defend their right to speak freely - from the safety of a land defended by the armed forces - and pour scorn upon those who do. But we are all human, and will all make our own judgment as to which is the better man or woman.

Career choices are very personal, for sure, but I wonder how long the big-timing gym queens would last in an operational environment?

It's one thing to be good at jap-slapping, but quite another to spend months in austere conditions facing people who want to kill you.

Returning to the OP

What was the soldier expected to do?

Break right and enter the crowd?
Break left and crash into his mates?
Stop and cause a pile up?

IMHO as a non soldier/gym rat softie he did the right thing.

Although the soldier shouldnt stop, I'm sure there are contingencies for these situations. They know there are no barriers and distracted tourists around.

I wouldn't last 5 mins in some conditions solders excel. And i cant shoot for s***. I would be useless in a war zone and even the worst solider would tear me to bits in such a style of combat. However we are not talking about that here. Anyway the point of this has gone way off. My point was that in my experience someone out there will not take so kindly to being barged out of the way by some tit in a stupid hat. That someone very likely could react in a way that may not work out so well for the soldier. The "i doubt it very much attitude" is what makes me laugh as beliving that becasue of someones job choice they are invincible is simply stupid. Everyone can be beat, everyone can get hit, everyone can be bested. With that in mind you are better off just using your brain a little but and not barging people out of the way, who ever you think you are. And you are much better off not acting like any human being is above another becasue of the job they do or the costume they wear.

Returning to the OP

What was the soldier expected to do?

Break right and enter the crowd?
Break left and crash into his mates?
Stop and cause a pile up?

IMHO as a non soldier/gym rat softie he did the right thing.

HE could have very easily shouted make way before barging into him. Very simple solution.

Back