What sports are YOU shooting this weekend?

I could have a go at a few cricket shots, with my son playing twice a week (Weds eve & Saturdays).

next 6 days TUE to SUN ...

TUE Morning Press conference and a local cup final in evening
WED 2 junior football finals at deepdale preston
THU Blackburn ladies v west brom at Ewood park
FRI Local cup final also at ewood park
SAT Junior footy final 9.30am followed by 2 lancs lg cricket matches
SUN Local league footy final in morn and 1 cricket match in afternoon

Thats so far... :)

So what's the shutter approximation on your 1Dx now Tony & in how long)?

So what's the shutter approximation on your 1Dx now Tony & in how long)?

187,000 hahaha

but look at my work load..I am shooting 7 days a week with it.. look at the next 6 days... how many clicks there.. and its been like that for the last couple of months.. as shows on my website :)

PS not doing cricket with it tough.. the mkIV for that.. nothing to gain with the 1dx on a sunny day..

Last edited:
Haha that is why I asked the question 187K = phew

Maybe Canon should have you as a long term tester (y)

Magic Weekend Rugby League @ The Etihad Stadium Manchester next Sat/Sun. Kind regards Graham.

RFU County Finals and England vs Barbarians on Sunday at Twickenham

Championship Play-Off Final on Monday.

....EAGLES!!!

No sports for me - a long-awaited weekend off to go to a music festival and drink copious amounts of cider

YAY :LOL:

Sun - pay game at St James' then Sunderland Women vs Leeds Women

Tues - Benefit Golf day with Stephen Harmison and Freddie Flintoff

First cricket match for me - Bury v Elton for the papers. Could do with asking kipax for some advice.:thinking:

Top advice.. if your going at start of match in very bright sunny conditions.. shoot into the sun and not wiht sun behind you or all you get is very dark faces from helmet wearing batsmen..over expose by at least one stop... if no rush to get pics in then turn up towards end of first innings.. then you can get end one.. start other both teams fielding and batting..

perfect time for cricket is as the sun starts to set.. sun low gives off better colours. not as harsh.. light gets under the helmet.. loverly..

watch for a batsmen getting close to 50 or 100... posiiton yourself in front of clubhouse or where rest of his team or... he will raise his bat towards there in recognition.. although the club pro dont do this so much on 50

cant think of much else off hand... watch for big yellow skips behind the batsmen.. half of TP sports photogrpahers seem to think thats OK .. I dont myself :)

otherwise same as other sports.. fronts of players.. ball in pic thats sorta thing :)

Thanks Kipax ! Read your tip about covering the match at tea-time if possible a while back - good advice ! Looking forward to more cricket this summer - just one more question. On a 300mm F2.8 full frame - what TC would anyone recommend for cricket 1.4 or 1.7 ?? (y)

Thanks Kipax ! Read your tip about covering the match at tea-time if possible a while back - good advice ! Looking forward to more cricket this summer - just one more question. On a 300mm F2.8 full frame - what TC would anyone recommend for cricket 1.4 or 1.7 ?? (y)

I think it really depends on distance from the action. Ie which ground and your shooting position.

I think it really depends on distance from the action. Ie which ground and your shooting position.

and what shots your after... I do two leagues around here.. lancashire and ribblesdale.. the latter having smaller pitches..I would find a 400 on full frame too short for most let along 300 .. would go for the 1.7

who you shooting for? MEN ? are you doing northern league at all?

Thanks Tugster & Kipax - much appreciated. I'll be honest - I'm new to cricket photography and I thought pitches would have been pretty much 'standard' sized and that one of the TCs would be generally favoured by the guys who cover it. I'm in favour of the head-on to the batsman / bowler type of shots and need the extra reach without having to aggressively crop. Sounds like I could do with the 1.7. Kipax - covering the bolton association league for newsquest. Apologies to the mods for going off topic.

Last edited:
Pitches are different sizes, they can also play or different wickets in the square so they could be very close to one side or the other. I have only shot 1 Bolton Assc game but prefere Bolton League. Some are fine with 300 on a 1.3 crop others I go with a 1.4x and Westhoughton is huge and the 2x comes out I use google satellite maps to see what space is available round the square and from the ends and remember dont get to close to the sight screens or walk round the back of them on deliveries.

Thanks Little John. Covered Heaton CC v Bradshaw CC at Church Road on Weds and used a 1.4 TC on full frame 300mm. Was going to use a 1.6 crop body for the extra reach but it was quite gloomy and decided to use the full frame body for the better iso performance and had to crop a bit more than I would liked. Will get a 1.7 at some point as well because it looks like there isn't one Tc that will do the job. Thanks for everyone's advice - much appreciated !

Heavy cropping at Heaton? shoot from the end opposite the club house its closer to the square, from the sides I have had to use the 70-200 in the past. It is one of the smaller grounds. I guess that's the difference in crop APS-h and full frame. I did use the 2x once from the other end but it was too tight.

Done my first T20 tonight in 2 seasons.. last season they where nearly all washed out and 90% of games decided on coin toss.. Another 4 cricket matches this weekend for two papers so 5 in all....

Weekend off, yippee, turned down Hull v Leeds last night, off to Barnard Castle today (Saturday) then hopefully a drive into the peak district or the Lakes early on Sunday.

Got York v Doncaster tomorrow..

3 cricket matches this weekend for 2 papers.. but first a different job.. slaidburn in trough bowland for a steam rally... sometimes the paper throws me a non sports job.. usually summat out the way they cant afford (time) to send staff to :)

Did Hull KR v Huddersfield last night

Me too:D, nice to see you again G(y).

was it just me or was it at least 10 degrees cooler last night than inland:eek:

Are you covering the England V Exiles game @ Warrington on Fri?. I'm hoping to have picked up the Hudds Examiner Commission as a Staffer/John can't cover it;). Kind regards Graham.

Me too:D, nice to see you again G(y).

was it just me or was it at least 10 degrees cooler last night than inland:eek:

Are you covering the England V Exiles game @ Warrington on Fri?. I'm hoping to have picked up the Hudds Examiner Commission as a Staffer/John can't cover it;). Kind regards Graham.
Aye mate i'll be there, Have Hudds got anyone in the squads????

yep 3 which is why I'm covering!, Eorl Crabtree, Leroy Cudjoe & Brett Ferris! weather any of them play is another matter!.
As I'm sure you'll agree Danny Brough should have been there (IMHO, the best player in the world in that position at the mo), but Mcnamara is a egotistical dick head who can't get over not everyone likes him,(ie Danny's called him a bit in the past :D ). See you there fella. Kind regards Graham.

yep 3 which is why I'm covering!, Eorl Crabtree, Leroy Cudjoe & Brett Ferris! weather any of them play is another matter!.
As I'm sure you'll agree Danny Brough should have been there (IMHO, the best player in the world in that position at the mo), but Mcnamara is a egotistical dick head who can't get over not everyone likes him,(ie Danny's called him a bit in the past :D ). See you there fella. Kind regards Graham.
Sorry mate, gonna disagree about Brough, ive watched him play since being 16 at Thornhill and he has never had the temperament for playing on the big stage, he's a clown and egotistical bottler, cant disagree about him being the form half back in Super League but he just cant produce the goods when the pressure is on and against the Aussies or New Zealand he will go miissig or even worse crack and get sent off, he's an absolute liability when things arent going his way.

However, youre right about McNamonkey, should never been let anywhere near a coaching position,

I agree with you prior his joining Hudds Giants but he's matured a lot since those early days!, if you watch the number of players who try to wind him up now, when a few years ago he'd be sent off for reaction!, now he just smiles :). If as you say he's the best in possition at the moment then surely the Exiles game is perfect for seeing if he can hack it on the international stage rather than wait till the world cup??. Anyway it's immeterial as he's signed back up for Scotland after "McNamonkey"'s loose promise that he'd be picked if he stopped playing for Scotland!!.

Back