What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

I don't think I've bought anything in 2019......

Oh, I tell a lie! I did pick up a Samyang 24/1.4 & adapter from a mate for Astro stuff back in April'ish.

My next purchase will I think be either a new rear opening, hiking backpack (Osprey Kamber/Gregory Targhee) or a lighter tripod. Carrying the current one more than a mile or two can sometimes get uncomfortable....

Sony a7r iv, garmin inreach mini, 70-200 gm (for wolves/mountain lions/bears & portraits on a trip next year) & a new tripod.
Some sort of storage box. My kit is now to big for my bag.
I highly recommend the vanguard 46d. It's much cheaper than pelican equivalents, but I had to chop the tags off of the zippers.

Samyang 12mm for the Fuji maybe. Thought about the 10-24 but don’t use uwa that often so would be quite an outlay for little use. Samyang is, like, 1/4 of the price s/h. Sounds a plan.

I think I really do need an L-bracket first though as portrait mode on the Befree tripod never feels 100% steady. Just gotta choose one.

Sam
Samyang 12mm for the Fuji maybe. Thought about the 10-24 but don’t use uwa that often so would be quite an outlay for little use. Samyang is, like, 1/4 of the price s/h. Sounds a plan.

I think I really do need an L-bracket first though as portrait mode on the Befree tripod never feels 100% steady. Just gotta choose one.

Samyang 12mm f/2? My boy has one on his A6000. Nice little lens for what it is. And an L Bracket is one of the best things you can buy. I have a cheap Chinese one on my A7 and it's perfect for £8!

Samyang 12mm f/2? My boy has one on his A6000. Nice little lens for what it is. And an L Bracket is one of the best things you can buy. I have a cheap Chinese one on my A7 and it's perfect for £8!

Yep, 12mm f/2.

I've been looking at a nifty L-bracket I saw on some Youtubers vlog. Had a smart wooden grip built into it. It was a bit more than 8 quid though! Will get on ebay later in the week to find a cheaper one.

I am lusting over the Fuji 100-400 with TC, but at ~£1750 I'm not sure if I can justify it.

Back to reality, i'm still deliberating dropping fifty quid on a Chinese knock off nodal ninja. :LOL:

I think a smartphone with a decent camera should be my next buy.

There are times when even a small camera could be too much and a decent camera phone could be useful. I don't tend to buy phones as I've have no interest in them at all until wondering about a better camera on one. Someone gave me my first smart phone a few years ago but the camera is very poor and yesterday someone gave me a newer one. The pictures do look very nice on the phone but on my pc they're just awful if I look closely, they're just a mushy mess with lots of lag and subject blur so it's really not all that good and Mrs WW is pestering me to buy a new one so I might weaken and actually buy a new half decent one.

One plus of a newer one is that the screen is better for looking at pictures on. I've loaded pictures onto it because when I'm hanging about waiting I often look at my pictures so a larger and nicer screen is nice :D

Wouldn't mind a wide angle lens, a few gradient filters, new lighter tripod and a new PC......But they will be on my list for quite a while until I can find a job

I'm trying to locate the new Sony 200 600mm in stock. But everywhere I try has a pre-order attached to it :(

Les

Thinking about upgrading my Panasonic G80.
Not sure whether I'd be better with a G9 or an Olympus D-em1 mk2.
All my lenses are Panasonic.

Thinking about upgrading my Panasonic G80.
Not sure whether I'd be better with a G9 or an Olympus D-em1 mk2.
All my lenses are Panasonic.

Panasonic if you require the dual is function, interface in my opinion is much nicer than Olympus too.
Think the E-M1 ii is better for focusing on subjects like birds in flight and sports action.
Someone said once that the weather sealing is more assured when using the same make, but no empirical evidence of that.
Just had an email from WEX with a load of Panasonic deals on this week, but i'm happy with my brace of GX9's
Did think about a G90, can wait for next year's Photgraphy Show for a good price and possible double cashback.

What do you want that the G80 isn't giving you?

Don't know.
I'm not unhappy with my G80, but I see the results others are getting with the EM1mk2 and I think wow!

I did consider it, but didn't think it was the best choice for my photography needs.
Had an E-M1, menus and controls drove me crackers, so many sub menus and buttons that were dual use.
Nearly bought a G9, but had to leave the show to catch my train, in hindsight it was probably a bit on the big side.

No lenses that appeal, think some have money off too, i'm still considering a 12mm f/1.4

I did consider it, but didn't think it was the best choice for my photography needs.
Had an E-M1, menus and controls drove me crackers, so many sub menus and buttons that were dual use.
Nearly bought a G9, but had to leave the show to catch my train, in hindsight it was probably a bit on the big side.

No lenses that appeal, think some have money off too, i'm still considering a 12mm f/1.4
I know what you mean.
I hate the menu system on my wife's em5mk2 but that might just be because I'm not used to it.
I'll probably carry on with the G80 tbh.
I dont really do much bif stuff either, but maybe I would. Who knows?
I've never really tried with the G80.

I'm saving up for a used Canon L lens but not sure whether to go for the 24 - 70mm or the 24 - 105mm.

I'm saving up for a used Canon L lens but not sure whether to go for the 24 - 70mm or the 24 - 105mm.
The 24-70 is a big, heavy house brick of a lens. I had the 24-105 and it lived on my 5Diii. I reckon I took 95% of all images with it. The range is perfect, meaning you rarely have to change lenses.

Have spent too much on F mount lenses already this year and given its a ‘dead end’ I don’t really want to spend too much more but will likely pick up a 300pf and 1.4tciii.

When there’s a compelling reason to go mirrorless I will but at the moment the Nikon Z lineup leaves me cold with nothing to challenge the recent F mount ‘character’ primes 28e/58G/105e.

Nikon DF want face here :runaway::nikon:

The 24-70 is a big, heavy house brick of a lens. I had the 24-105 and it lived on my 5Diii. I reckon I took 95% of all images with it. The range is perfect, meaning you rarely have to change lenses.

Depends if it's the Mk1 or the Mk2?

24-70 is fine, I had the mk1 for like a decade. Great lens. Prefer it over the 24-105.

It's also not enormous, the Sigma 105/1.4 is enormous and heavy for a lens that size.

I don't think I've bought anything in 2019......

Oh, I tell a lie! I did pick up a Samyang 24/1.4 & adapter from a mate for Astro stuff back in April'ish.

My next purchase will I think be either a new rear opening, hiking backpack (Osprey Kamber/Gregory Targhee) or a lighter tripod. Carrying the current one more than a mile or two can sometimes get uncomfortable....

Well. Osprey Kamber 42 & Pacsafe insert bought....

Now, what's next.......??

Something new to go in it?

Haha :) I don't think so Alan. I'm pretty content with the A7, CV21, CV40/1.2 & FE85 ;) I've dusted my old 35mm film camera off too & stuck a film in that to help keep me occupied......

Tripod (lighter) is the next possible thing at some point. Too much choice though isn't there!!

I seems it will have to be the next EOS R model or Sony equivalent followed by some of the lenses. It's not something I particularly lust after or want; it just has to be done at some point.

I would love 85mm f/1.2. I am not sure if it would pay off very soon but that's something on my list.

I’ll probably find my next purchase at the camera fair on Sunday.
LUST the Fujinon XF 200mm f2.0 But put off by size and weight :(
I had the Nikon AFS 200mm f2.0 and loved that lens.

Last edited:
I've had a camera on pre-order for a couple of months now, it's given me time to think about all the projects I'm going to do with it.. and how I simply cannot start them with any existing camera - I mean it's true right, I want consistency...

So I ordered the Hasselblad X1D II and XCD 80mm f1.9 - and it feels like until it arrives my personal photographic endeavours are on hold.. why must i be this way..

I've had a camera on pre-order for a couple of months now, it's given me time to think about all the projects I'm going to do with it.. and how I simply cannot start them with any existing camera - I mean it's true right, I want consistency...

So I ordered the Hasselblad X1D II and XCD 80mm f1.9 - and it feels like until it arrives my personal photographic endeavours are on hold.. why must i be this way..

That's an interesting camera and I' sure you'll be looking forward to it :D

I've have a couple of disasters with Minolta Rokkor 35mm f2.8 MC's, the one with the narrower and more scalloped focus ring. I have two duff ones now and I've been looking for a nice one for a while but the only ones cropping up seem to be in the USA or Japan and I don't fancy being stung with a customs bill at the door.

I had the later 49mm filter f2.8 MD and that impressed me so much that I bought the f1.8 which I still have but the earlier MC's give a different look so I'd like a working one. I have the broader less scalloped focus ring one but I much prefer the feel and handling of the deeper scalloped ones. The similar 55mm f1.8 MC is one of my favourite old lenses and it'd be nice to pair it with a nice 35mm f2.8 with the same build and look so I'll keep looking and hoping to find a nice one.

Sounds a bit like eager anticipation with a smidge of buyers remorse ;)

With the brand legacy etc.......a very nice pressie to yourself.

Sounds a bit like eager anticipation with a smidge of buyers remorse ;)

Sounds about right! :D

There's talk of UK retailers being sent stock at the moment, so fingers crossed I'll get it soon and then I can start living again :)

I would love 85mm f/1.2. I am not sure if it would pay off very soon but that's something on my list.

So would I but it costs £2800 :eek:
I will stick with my f1.4 for now and really hope sigma makes one at half the cost like they did with 35mm f1.2.

Back