Whats this all about ?

OK, thanks all for the help/replies/responses.
I`ll go away and bang my head in a small dark corner of a barrel. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
If you are seeing something that nobody else can then it's time to examine your viewing equipment.
The fact that this phenomenon, whatever it may be, has only recently started may be a clue.
Do you have another video monitor that you can try?

Last edited:
If you are seeing something that nobody else can then it's time to examine your viewing equipment.
The fact that this phenomenon, whatever it may be, has only recently started may be a clue.
Thanks, My O/H can see it.

I meant nobody else on the forum.
If it's only visible locally then that's grounds for further suspicion.
Sorry Brian, Maybe it was me that was confused by what you meant.
Have you looked at my flickr page, latest shot there, it`s near the top middle.

I hope that you can see this now?
View attachment 132713

It's certainly much bigger. If I zoom in as much as I can I still see nothing that I don't see if I zoom in a lot to any of the very out of focus blurred bits in my own photos, nothing out of the ordinary, annoying, or some kind of problem that should be rectified. But you obviously see something badly wrong. Can you describe in words what that wrongness is, or maybe even better, show us an image which doesn't have this problem, which is what you want these problem areas to look like?

Sorry - been away from my computer.

I ask whether you’ve got another lens as the artifacts seem consistent - and unappealing - however they appear to me to be lens characteristics - hence suggesting another lens to compare this to and see whether it’s a camera or lens issue.

To me - it falls under the category or displeasing and unattractive bokeh.

Ah - Flickr. Ok, I see nothing unpleasant there on any of your shots with a similar background. All I see is very acceptable bokeh. The bokeh performance of lenses is something that I tend to be quite critical / selective of, and I see nothing untoward.

I think that you're going to have to summon the vocabulary to tell us more exactly what you're on about, otherwise we're lost about what to respond to.

Last edited:
I have seen such a lot of this type of pixeling of late it really is putting me off photography as it detracts from what I would like to see.

Post a macro photo shot with this lens that doesn't contain this pixeling your talking about.
Maybe then we can figure out exactly what your complaint is...:)

You can’t compare that with mine either ,mine on micro four thirds at compared to your 800mm so the whole aspect is different ,but basically the background in mine is just de.focussed leaves ,flowers etc .
As the others have said your looking for a non existing problem.
And tbh your lens wasn’t very good when brand new I doubt it’s improved over the years . Invest in a up to date macro lens to see a improvement . Btw have you checked your lens for internal dust bunnies or even the dreaded fungus ,it’s at that sort of age

Last edited:
You can’t compare that with mine either ,mine on micro four thirds at compared to your 800mm so the whole aspect is different ,but basically the background in mine is just de.focussed leaves ,flowers etc .
As the others have said your looking for a non existing problem.
And tbh your lens wasn’t very good when brand new I doubt it’s improved over the years . Invest in a up to date macro lens to see a improvement . Btw have you checked your lens for internal dust bunnies or even the dreaded fungus ,it’s at that sort of age
I wasnt having a dig at your photo, its just what I see but if you and others do not see it then maybe it`s me or my monitor or something.
As for my lens, theres nothing wrong with it when I bought it and theres nothing wrong with it now as far as I can tell so please do not judge my lens.

Can you take a photo of the image on your monitor showing the issue to rule out local hardware / drivers etc because nothing is showing on the photo when viewed direct.

I *think* If I view the crop at the right distance and angle from my screen I can make out some dithering patterns in the shapes of the bokeh, is that what you're on about?

I wasnt having a dig at your photo, its just what I see but if you and others do not see it then maybe it`s me or my monitor or something.
As for my lens, theres nothing wrong with it when I bought it and theres nothing wrong with it now as far as I can tell so please do not judge my lens.
No I realise you were just using my pic as a demo ,and I was only pointing out possible causes to your problem . Sure you will sort it out one day

I see nothing different (or wrong) when viewing the images on Flickr compared to viewing on the forum.
If you see something that nobody here can see then it must be down to the way you are viewing them.
Have you downloaded and installed the latest driver software for your graphics card?

Hi all,
Lately I have seen lots of this on my and other photos, This shot has not been through any PP yet.
What I would like to know is, what is causing this pixeling on my shots.
Nikon D500
flash diffused (not pop-up)
I have seen such a lot of this type of pixeling of late it really is putting me off photography as it detracts from what I would like to see.
Any advice?

View attachment 132316

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but in this image I can see, in the bottom left corner of the top left quarter of the picture, a left facing arrow, like this, < which is lighter in colour than the surrounding area. It almost looks like screen burn from having a picture viewer open on screen for too long with the next/previous image arrows showing, though obviously it's not that.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but in this image I can see, in the bottom left corner of the top left quarter of the picture, a left facing arrow, like this, < which is lighter in colour than the surrounding area. It almost looks like screen burn from having a picture viewer open on screen for too long with the next/previous image arrows showing, though obviously it's not that.
I don't think for one second that's what he's talking about, but it is interesting.

upload_2018-8-21_17-3-31.png

This is very strange, I see it and my better half does as well,
It is seen in Nikon RAW and converted JPG
So, Why don`t you see it?
Could it be my screen ?
I use either Picasa photo viewer or Faststone image viewer as my RAW photo viewer.
Both show the same.

It sounds to me like your video card or monitor are causing you these problems.

Can you view your images on another device - a friend or neighbour perhaps?

I don't think for one second that's what he's talking about, but it is interesting.

View attachment 132814
It's the "Previous Image" link on Flickr?

It's the "Previous Image" link on Flickr?
It certainly looks like the "Previous image" link on Flickr. But if that's what it is, it means that what we're looking at is a screen grab of an image as displayed by Flickr, not the original image as uploaded to Flickr. Why would the OP do that? Surely it's easier to upload the original to TP, or link to the original on Flickr, rather than do a screen grab?

It certainly looks like the "Previous image" link on Flickr. But if that's what it is, it means that what we're looking at is a screen grab of an image as displayed by Flickr, not the original image as uploaded to Flickr. Why would the OP do that? Surely it's easier to upload the original to TP, or link to the original on Flickr, rather than do a screen grab?

Or test by viewing on his phone to ensure his monitor is not at fault.

It's like pulling teeth this thread.

No screen grabs here, I either do from flickr or from file, and these are from file.

Pc uses onboard graphics, AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.
I guess this could be the culprit.

No screen grabs here, I either do from flickr or from file, and these are from file.
So what is that artefact then? How did it get there? Why is it in the version of the photo which appears in post #1, but not in the version which appears in post #18?
upload_2018-8-21_17-3-31-png.132814

So what is that artefact then? How did it get there? Why is it in the version of the photo which appears in post #1, but not in the version which appears in post #18?
upload_2018-8-21_17-3-31-png.132814
No idea, that's what I am trying to find out.

No idea, that's what I am trying to find out.

Oh. I thought you were trying to find out what was causing "pixellation", which you could see but nobody else can, in several areas of the photo. Not one obvious artefact that we can all see.

There are lots of people here you are trying to help you, but you're really not making it easy for us.

So let's try this one step at a time.

Where did the image in post #1 come from? How did you get it onto TP, and what had you done to it before getting it onto TP?

Where did the image in post #18 come from? How did you get it onto TP, and what had you done to it before getting it onto TP?

Pc uses onboard graphics, AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.
I guess this could be the culprit.
Same graphics card that I use - there was a driver update a few weeks ago.
Have you up dated your software, and if not, why not?

Plus, on Flickr, the "Previous" arrow appears outside the displayed image.
However, the place it appears is in the correct position, relative to the image.
It's almost as if the arrow has been copied and added to the image.
It's like pulling teeth this thread.
Or banging your head against a wall...

Pretty sure the OP is taking the p*** to be honest. Probably having a laugh at our expense.

Oh. I thought you were trying to find out what was causing "pixellation", which you could see but nobody else can, in several areas of the photo. Not one obvious artefact that we can all see.

There are lots of people here you are trying to help you, but you're really not making it easy for us.

So let's try this one step at a time.

Where did the image in post #1 come from? How did you get it onto TP, and what had you done to it before getting it onto TP?

Where did the image in post #18 come from? How did you get it onto TP, and what had you done to it before getting it onto TP?

The first image is a PNG file the others are JPG. The first is almost certainly a screen grab as evidenced by the different file format and the fact it has a 'previous image' icon superimposed.

The first image is a PNG file the others are JPG. The first is almost certainly a screen grab as evidenced by the different file format and the fact it has a 'previous image' icon superimposed.
You might think that, but the OP says you are 100% wrong:

Back