What's your one most useful tip..

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
If you could passon only ONE nugget of advice to a budding young photographer wannabe, what would it be? Only one mind..... No ands, ifs, but, or or's...just one tip...

Mine? Keep at least 2 fully charged batteries/sets of batteries at all times, even topping them up after a quick shoot, because I guarantee, if your battery is going to run out, it will do so when you REALLY don't want it to.

Keep on and on practising your techniques and styles ... don't lose heart as things will only get better !

Learn how to stand and to hold the camera to maximise your chances of sharp pics, and never under-estimate it's importance, or take it for granted for that matter. After a while it becomes second nature, but a sudden rash of unsharp shots is usually down to getting a bit lax, and many a good photographer has had to revisit his basic technique to put things right.

Don't just look, see.

Try different angles, as instead of just standing and taking a pic, try lying down or climbing a wall to get a different perspective.

Photos always look better on a 2.5" LCD screen than they actually are.

Find a photographer / style which you admire. Try to understand what makes their shots so appealing to you, then replicate this in your own photography.

Take the time to think about the composition of the shot and what you are trying to achieve from the shot (a mistake I make all the time), rather than just pointing the camera and hoping for a good shot!

Simply keep on practicing, in hardly any time atall you'll know what everything on the camera does, and that's a great feeling to have.

Enjoy it and its what you think, not what others think that matters.

Marcel said:
If you could passon only ONE nugget of advice to a budding young photographer wannabe, what would it be?
This hobby will cost you a fortune, so unless you really love it... get out now while you still have some cash left in your pocket!! :nuts:

IanC_UK said:
dont listen to a word i say ! ;)

dont listen to a word he say's..;)

Marcel said:
If you could passon only ONE nugget of advice to a budding young photographer wannabe, what would it be? Only one mind..... No ands, ifs, but, or or's...just one tip...

Mine? Keep at least 2 fully charged batteries/sets of batteries at all times, even topping them up after a quick shoot, because I guarantee, if your battery is going to run out, it will do so when you REALLY don't want it to.

something i learnt as a guitarist....

"if you make a mistake, do it again, that way people think that you meant to do it"
i think it passes well onto photography in that you can make a whole series of photos by abusing a mistake, and come up with something that might look good, and (the best bit) it will really annoy all those iritating purists who look at technique rather than the the picture

Take 2...

Don't get hung up on gear...that will come in time.
Concentrate on the basics by soaking up the information from numerous sources and practice, practice, practice.

Actually I want to change mine.

To one Arkady posted a while back. Not sure if it was 'his' or someone elses (Can't remember), but

"If it's worth 1 frame it's worth at least another 3".

My advice would be to come on here seek advice and learn.

take pictures that please you. :)

Something thats been said round these parts a few times before
When you're buying equipment go to a shop and try it out because it doesn't matter if its the highest spec'd, flashest, drool worthy piece of camera pron in the world ever, if its not comfortable in your hands you wont use it.

Before leaving the house, Check your kit. Even if you're sure it's all in the bag, check it anyway, just in case.

Expose to the right :)

If possible and if something is really good always take at least two pics of it, just in case you got a bit of wobble or something you didn't spot in the background creeps in. After all with bigger memory cards these days, you can afford to.

stops work by doubling/halving the light let in.

took me years to grasp that as a nipper, no one ever explained it. i was never sure about the relasioship, i knew i needed to twist one dial one way if i twisted the other the other way and that's it. then i got and auto camera and they made things work in 1/3 ev steps and i didnt know where i was. :p

noah said:
stops work by doubling/halving the light let in.

took me years to grasp that as a nipper, no one ever explained it. i was never sure about the relasioship, i knew i needed to twist one dial one way if i twisted the other the other way and that's it. then i got and auto camera and they made things work in 1/3 ev steps and i didnt know where i was. :p

no one told me that, i just kind of worked it out when i saw the numbers doubling and halving every stop and it just clicked

Back