What's your 'pet-hate' in a photograph?

What about this beautiful flag.

Colour?

Flag_Colour.jpg

Or B&W?

Flag_BW.jpg

:thinking: can't decide myself

Similar are the people taking photos of themselves in the mirror with their face completely covered by the camera. Kind of reminds me of a lot of those cameraphone images you see on the internet modeling sites.

I do that :naughty:

People who think HDR excuses them from adhering to any of the other general rules of good composition.

how is live view a gimmick?

I would never use it for anything other than macro work on a tripod tbh, but when shooting 2.5:1 and a macro rail it comes in rather handy

but I cant see any other use.

I know loads of photographers who've got live view available on their cameras and yet I never see anyone use it. If you get some use out of it, good for you. :)

I know loads of photographers who've got live view available on their cameras and yet I never see anyone use it. If you get some use out of it, good for you. :)

I know plenty who do, it's a tool to use, simulates exposure for easy ambient control in strobism, shows the edges where some viewfinders do not and saves laying on the floor when the camera is v low

ditto for tethered to a laptop which I do a bit too

I know plenty who do, it's a tool to use, simulates exposure

Can be good for setting white balance manually (via Kelvins) when you don't have a grey or white balance card available too. :)

Two mkIIIs wiht it for ages and i never used it or know how..
I dont know how to turn video on with the mkIV either :)

spot colour.

Just stop it, it never looked good and never will.

I occasionally use it for shooting over the heads of people, or a quick shot from the floor.

Dodgy framing whilst shooting & busy backgrounds without shallow depth of field causing messy & muddled photographs. {from experiance with my own work}.

Last edited:
Good thread this, I have just enjoyed reading it again even after more than a year dormant.

When a shot is obviously done in a portrait style but things have been cropped/chopped off like a foot or top of a head. Having said that, I can see how boring it is to stick to a formula and that cropped portrait could have been a somebody else's happy accident. :)

When a shot is obviously done in a portrait style but things have been cropped/chopped off like a foot or top of a head. Having said that, I can see how boring it is to stick to a formula and that cropped portrait could have been a somebody else's happy accident. :)

Hmmm quite the reverse for me... gaps above heads because the centre focus point was placed on an eye... but then again, I prefer a bit of a "MTV out there" style with people anyway, I'm not shooting school children en masse ;-)

"Cutesey" family portraits, especially "our little angel".

Pass me the bucket!

Last edited:
Depends who is the owner of the groin :LOL:

Dave

I have three pet hates in photography, and one thing that's beginning to bore me:

1) Hatred of selective colouring, or any other technique. Fine to hate the resulting photo's, but the fact that the majority of selective colour shots are cliches should be seen as a challenge to surprise everyone using the technique, not a reason never to use it. One day, I'll manage that!

2) Slutty, obvious, unimaginative nude shots. I like nudes as much as any man does, but oh my god; you'd think some of these photographers would see just how old and unattractive the poses they're getting are, wouldn't you?

3) The pretentious insistence that PP is all wrong and you MUST capture it in camera, or you're crap! What counts, in fact all that counts, is what the viewer sees and feels when presented with the final result. OK, so when the purpose of the photo is to record fact, then it shouldn't be doctored, but other than that, what do I care how the pleasing image I'm looking at came to be?

And I'm getting bored with long(ish) exposure coastal shots, especially on 500px. I like them all and want to capture one one day, but they're ten a penny, and seem to dominate 500px (slight exaggeration maybe, but there are too many). Good example of point 1 above I recon; I could say I hate the technique now, but actually what I hate is that no-one seems to be using it to achieve anything a bit different.

Phew, I think I need a cuppa!

Wedding photos, who the hell wants to look at them apart from the bride and her mother.

I do. Mine because it was one of the best days of my life, despite the 80's fashions (not everyone fits the "it's all for the bride" stereotype), my brother's because it too was a fantastic day for all of us, and I was involved, and stranger's if the bride/bridesmaid's are fit!!!!

central themes..roads, bridges etc and mid horizons
not really a hate but consider them very naff and driven by advertising photography
cheers
geof

Acronyms used in forums - I understand the need but I get them directed to me in work and it seems they suggest a smugness by 'those in the know' (usually management), who just cannot wait for you to ask "what does that mean?".

White vignette on any shots

and a black vignette that is too dark and obvious

HDR on photographs of people (I have seen it on wedding photos, so wrong)

Agree in part, but I think it can work in a high key image of a bride in front of a window but that's about the only exception !

basil67 said:
Acronyms used in forums - I understand the need but I get them directed to me in work and it seems they suggest a smugness by 'those in the know' (usually management), who just cannot wait for you to ask "what does that mean?".

Omg!

Sorry

It's not a hate but a dislike.

People who take photos of themselvs on their phone in mirrors with the flash on :/

Back