What's your 'pet-hate' in a photograph?

Traffic trails ob the motorway taken from bridges. They ALL look the same.

This is the only photography related thing I hate. Everything else (even spot colour and ott hdr) is ok with me.

Pictures of noble beasts such as lions and apes, where the photographer has pointed down at them to take the shot, thus making them look meek and subservient.

Absolutely agree you,ve got to be at their eye level:clap:
was going to say that I dont have any pet hates in other peoples shots maybee I,m too easy going :D, but dont like shots of big cats looking down on them I,ve taken lots myself in the past:D

Mine is........Blurry rushing water.

It only works for me if the blur is the absolute minimum.

I agree. I HATE milky water shots - except for the occasional shot of the shore line with just a hint of blur.

99% of B&W. Far too many shots processed as B&W just because it can be done and with zero artistic thought.

I have a huge list of things that I hate :nono:

1. Shots of people
2. Shots that are a cliché, but then which aren't :shrug:
3. Weddings
4. Useless & Rude comments
5. HDR
6. Any post processing (opens a huge can of worms)
7. Photographers who think there are fixed rules
8. Photographers who break all the rules, get crappy results and then argue how artistic their results are!
9. When someone asks me to evaluate their shot from the camera's LCD
10. People who use SLRs are a P & S
11. People who have money to buy expensive equipment but can't be arsed to learn how to use them
12. Trigger happy junkies
13. People who post all their crap, and I ache my hernia holding back my comments
14. People who drag politics & religion into art & science
15. People who don't clean their equipment (camera equipment, I mean)
16. Sand, when it gets in my equipment causing a huge £££ repair bill
17. People who go to all acrobatic manoeuvres to shoot something that could be taken while standing happily on two feet
18. Rain, when it gets in my equipment causing a huge £££ repair bill
19. Service centres who tell you it would take them 2 days to repair what ends up a 2 week job
20. Equipment that I want, but can't afford
21. When I go shooting without my partner
22. My partner not letting me shoot Glamour and Nude (hence, cause of point number one)
People who don't answer the chuffing question :shrug:

I hate vertical lines which are not vertical, and water which keeps draining out of the left or right side of the image because the berk hasn't held his camera level, and I hate it when you have ten grossly underexposed images taken on manual, because you cannot be bothered to check for a couple of minutes when the sun has gone behind a cloud.

I really hate it when I do all these things.:bang::bang::bang:

anything which doesnt belong
if in doubt ..leave it out
edge stuff, non subject 'great shot material' etc

1. People who ask "What settings should i use for a specific situation" e.g. weddings, sports etc
2. People who answer the above question by giving the actual settings instead of suggesting that it is not possible without being there.

Last edited:
:LOL:

imho tht sks

corrected..:puke:

another hate...seeing good shots poorly composed by using the camera viewfinder and the focussing area as the final print
ie..no cropping and re formatting to make better use of the subject matter and exempt the extra non useful stuff
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Obviously edited images.

In particular, black and white images with a single object in colour.

EDIT: Actually, let me rephrase that. Most images are edited to some extent as most photographs straight out the camera aren't to the best degree...

Images where the editing detracts from the picture.

Last edited:
As aforementioned, when post production takes a photograph beyond improvement to actually just ruining it. I hate when brightness, contrast & saturation bars are just raised aswell. Why? It looks awful.

As aforementioned, when post production takes a photograph beyond improvement to actually just ruining it. I hate when brightness, contrast & saturation bars are just raised aswell. Why? It looks awful.

as one sees on calenders and post cards...tulips from amster(hell)dam for instance
cheers
geof

HDR has to my top one, it just looks crap.

And people who have kit with no marks and look brand new, get out their and use it!!!

oh my word, I am so guilty of this. I really look after my kit like they are works of art. I do use them a lot but cannot bear the thought of a scratch.

I will try harder in future to mess it up a bit
:shake:

oh my word, I am so guilty of this. I really look after my kit like they are works of art. I do use them a lot but cannot bear the thought of a scratch.

I will try harder in future to mess it up a bit
:shake:

Give it to me, I'll be happy to help. :LOL:

Realising that photographs are a tad softer than you'd hoped & not being able to correct it in post production.

Back