What's your thoughtss

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw this advert for this site so thought I would have a look. I know im easily confused but am i missing something here? I Can't find any info on them.
Anyone heard of them or bought anything from them.

http://www.camerasalemarket.club

What's your thoughts?

I'm sure the phrase goes something like "If it looks too good to be true....."

The domain was registered a few days ago, updated to point to the current site yesterday, no SSL certificate on the site. I could go on.

Someone has put a LOT of work in to creating this but most definitely a scam!

I'm sure the phrase goes something like "If it looks too good to be true....."

The domain was registered a few days ago, updated to point to the current site yesterday, no SSL certificate on the site. I could go on.

Adam's spot on if you understand the technical side of things. Everything about that is fishy.

A few real basics that I always check on sites like this, though, that require no technical knowledge.

Do they show a phone number

I can't see one anywhere

Do they show a physical address?

It's not shown on their contact page. Shipping & Return page says "We are a UK company with regional warehouses in London, United Kingdom, Berlin, Germany and Barcelona, Spain" but I can't find it anywhere.

Company Details

The Companies Act 2006 says that any company must display on their web site
  • Company Registration Number
  • Registered Address
  • VAT Number
None of those are present

So you phone them, can't visit them in person if there is a problem and there is no way to find out which company to take to court.

The only way to get in touch after you have placed your order is the web contact form.

In those circumstances, they have failed at the first hurdle, as far as I am concerned, and huge alarm bells are ringing.

HTH

Rob

My thoughts? Barge pole with DDT on the end springs to mind.

This looks like a great site to throw away money. Just send the money to me and at least you will get a"Thank You";)

As you all say a lot of work gone into it, hopefully it gets taken down pretty sharpish and nobody gets stung by it. Thanks all for your reply.

A few real basics that I always check on sites like this, though, that require no technical knowledge.

Apologies, should probably have explained my self further on the technical side.

It’s really shows how easy it is to be tricked by scammers now!

Only a few years ago the target was through spam emails, they where easy to spot and most of the time were funny they where so bad.

Now it is so easy to target through advertising, taking you to a professional looking website that so many get caught out daily!

If I had bad intentions I could sit on this forum, wait for everyone to start talking about a new product with a lot of hype. Create a website selling this new product everyone wants with a price too hard to resist. Create a google advertising plan to appear on genuine pages with a demographic audience of amateur photographers. Sit back and wait for people to get interested, after enough sales come in close the page down in a few days and disappear.

It would all be a bit too easy!

The internet is amazing, but even big companies like google allow you to manipulate the system as long as you show them $$. Eventually once people report it they take down the ad from their system, only after they have been paid, allowing the scammers to make even more $$$$.

Ooh, I'll have a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II USM for £93.09, please!
Or if that's a special sale price, I'd be happy to have one for their "normal" price of £1660.79.....

Honestly, there are things which are "too good to be true", but somewhere beyond that is "flagrant".

And in case anybody is still undecided, their credit card payment page is not secured by HTTPS. That's a total breach of the PCI-DSS regulations, to add to the other breaches of distance selling regulations already noted.

I'm no expert on web design etc but when a lens has an rrp of 1689.00 Euros and is on sale for 97.56 Euros alarm bells sound in my head. So easy for people to be duped by sites like this though.

It's all too common these days unfortunately. you'll see plenty of these types of 'fantastic [too good to be true] offers' on Facebook, offering a £900 tool for 'just £89.99' - really? But unfortunately people fall for it as it all looks 'legit guv'.

I'm no expert on web design etc but when a lens has an rrp of 1689.00 Euros and is on sale for 97.56 Euros alarm bells sound in my head. So easy for people to be duped by sites like this though.
Well, the one I mentioned (300mm f/2.8) is on this site for £93.09, and the site implies that the RRP (or at least their 'normal' price) is £1660.79. But at the Canon UK online store, it's £5599.99, which I suspect is the actual RRP.

You'd have to be unbelievably stupid to fall for that, wouldn't you?

upload_2018-8-1_9-42-4.png

I've emailed a link to the site to canon UK, asking if it is legitimate (;)) let's see what they come back with.

I've emailed a link to the site to canon UK, asking if it is legitimate (;)) let's see what they come back with.

Here's the reply I just got from Canon:

"We are sorry to confirm but it indeed sells counterfeit Canon products.

Fake websites are created to look as convincing as possible, but their prices are not even remotely close to the price of genuine products.

It is impossible to find valid information about these type stores, it is not known where they are operated from, there is no address or phone number listed, you can only contact them via email.

They might misuse personal data as well.

We of course, do everything in our power to protect our brand, so once again, thank you for bringing this store to our attention."

be interesting to see if the website survives.

Perhaps we should contact their 'COSTOMER SERVICE' for further details?

Even their privacy policy seems to be ripped off from some fashion shopping site called 'Fearlesss'.

Well their whois record is equally devoid of information and they are a Chinese registered and hosted company https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=camerasalemarket.club

But promoting Canon goods I wonder if behind the scenes Canon are doing anything to 'take it down', what about reputational damage to Canon???

Look at point 5 here

http://www.camerasalemarket.club/page_2.html

I suspect they are not actually taking orders. If they did, they’d be stung with multiple dhargebacks and wouldn’t last 5 minutes.

Any bets, your payment will be “declined” and then asked to fax or email your card details through. Once they have your card details, they go shopping.

Look at point 5 here

http://www.camerasalemarket.club/page_2.html

I suspect they are not actually taking orders. If they did, they’d be stung with multiple dhargebacks and wouldn’t last 5 minutes.

Any bets, your payment will be “declined” and then asked to fax or email your card details through. Once they have your card details, they go shopping.
Couple that with ‘Once your order has been processed you will receive an email confirming your purchase within 12h‘ that should give them at least 12 hours to shop before unsuspecting buyers think there is a problem.

Like @StewartR has said their prices are ridiculous (canon 200-400 f4 for £110 [but their rrp is supposedly £2096]- around 1/80 of current UK Price £9080 ). In someways buyers who think they are getting those prices deserve to be ripped off. It’s not like those prices don’t sound far to good to be true- they are ‘magic bean’ prices!! There is no way you will ever get a £9k lens for £110 (unless postage is £8.9k ;) ). If their prices were closer to grey prices it would be different and I would feel for any body caught out by it.

Last edited:
Hmmm! a fly by night selling counterfeit presentation boxes with a brick in it.

But of course potentially more likely a cc scammer with fraud in mind???

Back