Where are you at this weekend 22/10/2010

There is a lot of travelling going on here though...I know I used to be guilty of it when I was working for the smaller agencies. My nearest Premier League club was West Brom or Aston Villa.

That's a 200 mile round trip with no petrol being paid for...so those times I was definitely making a loss.

That said, I did have a few of those shots in my portfolio that got me my most recent job.

Still not sure if it's worth it though!

Hmm...interesting. Travel can definitely be a killer on the expenses front - I limit myself to a 40 mile radius - not worth the hassle after that.

A round trip to Watford on the motorbike cost me about £10. I should be looking at £150 ish for 2 shots in the Sun assuming they pay for both as individual pics, so thats £140 into the kit fund. Nothing in last week so £8 petrol wasted getting to Reading.

If I started accounting for it on an hourly rate basis it would start getting tough :D. I normally leave the house at 1pm for a 3pm kick off, allowing an hour's travel and then an hour's prep and banter time. I'm usually home at 6:30pm, so 5.5 hours. I usually charge £50/hour to corporate clients so that would be £275 plus petrol I'd need to break even, which clearly isn't going to happen unless I get coverage in multiple newspapers.

So, if I had competing opportunities, say football v a corporate client, then sanity and the bank balance says take the corprate client's cash, even if its only a 3 hour job. Factor in the fun, enjoyment and still relatively novel (for me) factor of being in the national papers and footie does start to make a lot of sense.

But as we've said before, it's tough work if you're doing it full time, and major kudos to those like Kipax that do.

Theres a lot of willy waving going on in these "where are you this weekend" threads... Are you actually making lots of money? or is it all going on fuel etc.. cus your traveling a fair way to these games some of you.. Is it worth it financialy or just enjoying yoruselves? I have no views either way... enjoying yourselves is probably the better of the two though :) :)

Do we need two threads each week? One for those not getting paid and those getting paid?

All I can say get out of the way when I start waving my willy :LOL:

Do we need two threads each week? One for those not getting paid and those getting paid?:

thats NOT what I was asking and I absoloutly hate all the who gets paid who doesnt get paid stuff on TP stuff..

I get between 15 and 30 pics a week published which makes mine a big willy :) but I probably only make the same as someone getting a couple of national showings....

Last edited:
thats NOT what I was asking and I absoloutly hate all the who gets paid who doesnt get paid stuff on TP stuff..

I get between 15 and 30 pics a week published which makes mine a big willy :) but I probably only make the same as someone getting a couple of national showings....

Well mine should therefore be an International Willy...

:exit:

Well mine should therefore be an International Willy...

:exit:

Mines got a go faster stripe down the side and fluffy dice instead of b... :)

Off to blackburn rovers reserves now (noon KO)... new signing playing needed for paper... and its raining :(

Hello International Willy :LOL:

Did you get your tearsheets in't post?

My postman is a late riser I think...no post arrived so far. It usually gets here about 1pm.

I'll be out by then though, so it'll be this afternoon before I check it!

Ooops.

So who cocksure enough to start the thread for this weekend?

For me personally, I used to sit in all weathers, shooting non-league football every week for no money whatsoever. So the fact that I can now shoot PL, FL, UCL and international games with the potential to get paid for it and see my shots published in national press, makes it all worth while.

Ive not contributed to these threads as they are tremendous ego boost for some, Someone shooting for 32 international papers and another guy doing 76 different sports in a weekend is ridiculous. There is an awful lot of kidology on these threads. I had my 2nd national showing last weekend with 2 in the Sun, Plus the commission for the League Paper and after setting off at 1330 and gettin in at 1930 with fuel taken out I wont come away with minimum wage. I have a 2 year old lad and a 7 year old girl who is heavily dependant on us as parents, She is ventillated 24-7 and variety of problems and mobility included I cant be doing 6 hour jaunts just for "the craic"

For me personally, I used to sit in all weathers, shooting non-league football every week for no money whatsoever..

I had years of that and considered it my apprentiship :)

Back