Where should I go in Scotland in May!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
As it says really! Got a week in aviemore! I'm going to Skye for the day and Loch Ness but any ideas for other locations I've not thought about......

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

Nikon d7100 and loads of the wife knows not what it all cost!

Eileen is on my list cheers! And glencoe although I've been before

View attachment 30036 I was on Skye a couple of years ago

I'm walking to fairy pools this time! I chickened out last time because my hips were playing up but they've been replaced now so bring it on I say

IView attachment 30037old man of Storr .....

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread - probably going that way in the summer:)
Went about 10 years ago whilst not really into photography so will be looking for locations too for a return visit

Good as the suggestion here are - all great places - they are quite a way from Aviemore. A round trip to Castle Stalker and Glencoe is about 180miles and the same to Skye is closer to 200. It is very easy to spend quite a lot of the day traveling and you are going to have fairly long days in May anyway.

At Aviemore the Cairngorms are on the doorstep. There is a funicular railway part of the way up Cairngorm.

If you are interested in wildlife, the Insh Marshes are about 15 miles away near Kingussie.
Chanonry Point on the Black Isle is worth a visit to watch the dolphins; its about 40 miles from Aviemore There are boat trips from Cromarty but the view from the shore next to the lighthouse is great. Google Chanonry Point dolphins and you get an idea of what it is like.

Another useful resource is the WalkHighlands website. It has lots of walks all over Scotland from gentle strolls to the highest hills. All the walks are well described and illustrated so you can get an idea of what the area looks like.

Dave

The lighthouse will be going on the list thank you

Just booked 7 days on Skye at end of September. I have never been before so looking forward to taking some great pictures while there. Any great locations for landscape views would be welcome

Google fairy pools if you fancy a walk or old man of Storr amongst other places

Follow the light. That is the best advice to follow in Scotland. The big name places can look dull in bad weather, but there always something around worth shooting.

Just booked 7 days on Skye at end of September. I have never been before so looking forward to taking some great pictures while there. Any great locations for landscape views would be welcome

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Loads of places really but the above are all well known without undertaking any major expeditions.

Small as it may be - like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - with limited time you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/skye-suggestions.353200/#post-4029720

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...t-knows-the-isle-of-skye.291457/#post-3358758

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-to-shoot-while-on-skye.396161/#post-4531078

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/going-to-skye-what-not-to-miss.507753/#post-5833452

As it says really! Got a week in aviemore! I'm going to Skye for the day and Loch Ness but any ideas for other locations I've not thought about......

Lots around Aviemore.

As for Loch Ness - head along Glen Affric or try the Dolphins at Chanonry Point.

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Loads of places really but the above are all well known without undertaking any major expeditions.

Small as it may be - like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - with limited time you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/skye-suggestions.353200/#post-4029720

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...t-knows-the-isle-of-skye.291457/#post-3358758

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-to-shoot-while-on-skye.396161/#post-4531078

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/going-to-skye-what-not-to-miss.507753/#post-5833452
Thanks Phil. Excellent

Argyll. Or more specifically, Ellary.com (cottages and chalets not Castle Sween side.) if you enjoy the piece and quiet.

Otters, Pine Marten, Red Squirrel, Osprey, Golden Eagle.....and in you're interested, fishing.

I'm going in May :)

Argyll. Or more specifically, Ellary.com (cottages and chalets not Castle Sween side.) if you enjoy the piece and quiet.

Otters, Pine Marten, Red Squirrel, Osprey, Golden Eagle.....and in you're interested, fishing.

I'm going in May :)
Thanks! Where you off to in Scotland in May? I'm going the first week

Hi Mark,
I live in Aviemore and my brother does a lot of Ladscape photography, early morning at Loch an Eilean/ Morlich or at Loch Vaa, all stunning areas, a nice drive would be from Aviemore to Fort William and catch the little ferry to Skye, one of the nicest drives in the Highlands and a round trip can be done in a day easy, one of my favourite drives and if you come off Skye at the bridge you will cover so many places on the way back to Aviemore.
Might be a little early for the Dolphins to be in close to the shore as the Salmon run doesn't really get going until later in the summer and that's what brings them in, Cairngorm mountain is 10 min drive from the village.
There are lots of options around the Aviemore area it is also a good base, as I can be on the west coast/ east coast within a couple of hours of driving.
Gordon.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aviemore-Ospreys/443194042407751

If you are based in Aviemore and are planning to go to Skye I would include an overnight stop.
Aviemore to Portree is a three hour drive on a good day without any photography stops.

You want to be togging not driving.........

The route Gordon has suggested would be excellent - stunning scenery all the way. However, I agree with Robert, an overnight stay on Skye (or more than just overnight) is necessary, unless you like a really long drive where in addition to driving on unfamiliar roads, you'll be stopping lots of times to take shots and just being bowled over by how magnificent it is, and for eats too.

I have just checked the distances. From Aviemore to Fort William and on to Mallaig for the ferry to Skye is about 100 miles. The return journey via the Skye bridge and back to Aviemore is about 135 miles. As a minimum a trip around Skye is about another 120 (and that omits a large part of the west coast) so about 350 miles, which I reckon is easily 9 hours driving and maybe more.

I realise there is a desire to pack as much in as possible but, as I know from years of experience, it is very easy to spend too much time behind the wheel, and Skye (and many, many places in Scotland) deserve more than a day.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for info! I've been to Skye before about 4 years ago and stayed in Skye backpackers hostel which is brilliant fun and cheap

Hi Mark,
I live in Aviemore and my brother does a lot of Ladscape photography, early morning at Loch an Eilean/ Morlich or at Loch Vaa, all stunning areas, a nice drive would be from Aviemore to Fort William and catch the little ferry to Skye, one of the nicest drives in the Highlands and a round trip can be done in a day easy, one of my favourite drives and if you come off Skye at the bridge you will cover so many places on the way back to Aviemore.
Might be a little early for the Dolphins to be in close to the shore as the Salmon run doesn't really get going until later in the summer and that's what brings them in, Cairngorm mountain is 10 min drive from the village.
There are lots of options around the Aviemore area it is also a good base, as I can be on the west coast/ east coast within a couple of hours of driving.
Gordon.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aviemore-Ospreys/443194042407751

We are actually in a log cabin about 9 miles north of aviemore! Thanks for info though!

Muchly appreciated

Thanks! Where you off to in Scotland in May? I'm going the first week

Staying in one of the chalets from the 16th. Also should be going in October/September

I live a few miles from Aviemore and although I recommend Glencoe & Skye as the best locations in Scotland, it's quite a drive to both these locations from Aviemore. 2-3 hours to Skye, but then it's mostly single track roads if you head to the coast on the island. Elgol, for example is probably the most popular location on Skye but its a 14 mile drive from Broadford on single track road, limited passing places and chances are you'll get stuck behind cows on the road so taking travelling time into account you're either having very early morning/very late night starts if you want a sunrise or sunset!

Aviemore itself has a few cracking locations nearby including Loch Morlich, Loch an Eilean and Loch Pityoulish. There are the dolphins in the Moray Firth in Inverness, ospreys at nearby Loch Garten and although the Cairngorm mountains are on the doorstep its quite a walk when you're up there to get to decent locations.

Anyway, enjoy your time, it's a stunning part of the country.

Iain

Back