Which 70-200mm f/2.8??

Name
MysterRees
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon EOS 7d and I am after a versatile lens that could cope with landscape/portraits/wildlife. I've done a little bit of research which has lead me to the 70-200mm 1:2.8. Can anyone give me help/tips/suggestions with what lenses and specs I should look for. I do have a limited budget (less than a grand). If anyone can give me any good advise I would really grateful.

I have the 7d also, and a 70-200mm F4 L IS, and it's the sharpest lens I own, especially on a crop sensor camera like the 7d.
I upgraded from a Tamron 70-200 (older model) and the difference was huge in all aspects.
The IQ was better, less CA, the IS is way better....it's sharper, better built etc, etc.

The Canon L lenses are worth the money, and you could get a 70-200mm f2.8 L IS version 1 for your budget with some change left over.
I could only find a small number for sale used (probably a good sign - they're popular), just a quick browse at some of the reputable places.
If you were willing to nudge your budget up a bit, you might get a version 2, which is supposed to be better still.

Phenomenal lenses....the only way I'll ever get rid of mine is when I update to f2.8....regret not doing it in the first place tbh....but then I am cheap!!:D

By the way, welcome to TP:welcome:

Last edited:
Yep, the 70-200mm version 1 IS is great. I have it. You could get a non IS 2.8. The thing that always bugs me is on the mki it is really easy to turn auto focus off without realising. The mkii the switches are not sitting up proud so can't be caught and turned off.

Last edited:
I couldn't afford the Canon version so bought the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. I am extremely happy with it and take most of my shots with it. I find it very sharp and fast - and half the price of the Canon equivalent.

I got the mk2 on classified here

There's a version 1 f2.8 in the classifieds here too....just today, but unfortunately the OP cannot view for a while since he's a new member - can't remember exactly how long it is....could be 60 days - kind of a probationary period for the classifieds only.

I'd get the F4, lovely lens and lighter, a well as very sharp.
On full frame the reach at 200mm is somewhat limited though, especially for wildlife.

I have the f4 version it is a great lens and a not as heavy as the 2.8. you also have to think that there is only one stop difference to.

That's exactly how I was sold on the f4....but the 7D needs all the help it can get!!!:D
Don't get me wrong, I still love mine, wouldn't part with it....just need to be careful of pushing shadows too much in post.(But you probably know this already ;))
I have a 7D mkII also which for me made up for more than the one stop difference....it's still not a low light king by any means, but I reckon I can push it several stops further than the 7D, but it's still an epic camera....even today....it just needs good light.

@smr and @4wd :agree: unless you really need f2.8 (not forgetting that shallow DoF is slightly compromised with a crop sensor) then the f4 could be a wiser choice....my back and shoulder certainly appreciate my f4:D

Thank you all for your advice and ideas..
I am a newby here and wasn't sure what sort of response I would get but it's been awesome.
Certainly some things to think about and I can't wait to see the classifieds when I pass the probationary period.
Thank you all!! :)

Just be aware that there are loads of 70-200/2.8 zooms about and the exact model designation is important. The common variables are with/without image stabilisation and Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 variants. All the leading manufacturers have produced multiple versions over the years, some are significantly different/better but and quite often the older model only has minor improvements and is still available.

Basically, it can be confusing for the uninitiated when posters don't specifiy exactly which lens they're actually refering to. And that's before the f/4 versions are added to the pile. Short answer, for your budget I'd go for the Canon 70-200/4 L IS or if f/2.8 is important, the Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC - both Mk1 versions still available at good prices.

F4 IS by Canon is great but they are noisy when the IS is going, good value if you can get a good example

F4 IS by Canon is great but they are noisy when the IS is going, good value if you can get a good example

You mean, you can just hear a whirring sound if you put your ear to the lens? All image stabilisation systems do this and wouldn't bother a church mouse.

I would stretch to a used Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II.

You mean, you can just hear a whirring sound if you put your ear to the lens? All image stabilisation systems do this and wouldn't bother a church mouse.

Put my ear to the lens. You could hear it from 30+ feet away no problem lol

Back