Votes: 75 75.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 17 17.0%

• Total voters
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Without pixel peeping, could I please ask your opinion on whether you see A or B as having the sharper transition? I'll explain the background to this later, but would really appreciate if you could let me know your initial impression?

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 21.04.14.png

On a quick glance there is a definite difference to me - interested in the explanation :)

Thanks everyone.

Vote currently stands a A - 0, B - 11, Neither - 2

I'm off to bed as I've a silly early start, so I'll post the explanation now as spoiler

The two transitions are in fact identical - the only difference between A and B being, in A, the transition is in the blue spectrum (R150,G200,B150 -> R150, G200, B100) and in B it is in the red spectrum (R150,G200,B150 -> R100, G200, B150).

The theory goes that as far as your colour vision is concerned, your blue sensitive cones only exist around the periphery of your vision, the detailed area being made up predominately of red and green sensitive cones, so where colour boundaries are caused by a change in the blue spectrum only, you generally do not perceive the transition as 'sharp'.

If the theory is correct, you should see B as sharper.

Last edited:
At a glance I perceive A as sharper because it has a stronger contrast between the colours, If I study the edges I can just about perceive B being a little sharper, but not enough that I could categorically state that it is.

if the question was "which looks sharper" then i would have voted B

But the question was "which is sharper"....so i voted no difference.. as B is too obvious :)

Does being red/green colour blind affect the perception of sharpness in this instance?

B looks sharper, but I expect it is because of the contrast between the colours.

At a glance I perceive A as sharper because it has a stronger contrast between the colours, If I study the edges I can just about perceive B being a little sharper, but not enough that I could categorically state that it is.

I voted B for the exact same reason :)

I expect the difference in contrast is down to our perceptions to colour, similar to the test they give you at the opticians for colourblindness.

Back