Review Why Affinity Photo is BETTER than Photoshop!

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

These are the reasons of the author of this video;
I have similar and others… but worth looking into it!
…and it's UK made!

What are your reasons?

Last edited:
Couldn't try it as Affinity has some 'GL' package that won't work on my machine ... Photoshop, Lightroom, DXO & Capture NX-D all work fine for me.

Nothing there to make me even consider moving…

A tool is a tool. It takes all its sense and value in the hands of a
craftsman. A very personal choice… granted!
especially his silly costing argument

I don't think it is silly at all! 50 bucks for a lifetime license — inclu-
ding updates! — is not a silly argument… specially when features
are compared.

If one considers…
  • the yearly Ps subscription of 120 bucks (never yours!), the Photo's 50 bucks already
    make sense and it is yours!.
  • the app size is much smaller in itself, without lost of features or speed and a better
    interface and functions design.
  • new tools that are easier and simpler to use and apply
  • etc.

Last edited:
I don't think it is silly at all! 50 bucks for a lifetime license — inclu-
ding updates! — is not a silly argument… specially when features
are compared.

If one considers…
  • the yearly Ps subscription of 120 bucks (never yours!), the Photo's 50 bucks already
    make sense and it is yours!.
  • the app size is much smaller in itself, without lost of features or speed and a better
    interface and functions design.
  • new tools that are easier and simpler to use and apply
  • etc.

How can you honestly believe a one-off purchase that low will cover 50 years' of future development !!! That's insane if you think they are going to 'bank' a huge portion of each $50 to cover ongoing costs for the next 50 years, and just relying on new people all the time buying it is more akin to a marketing con than a costed development process

Back in the old days most people would buy a full working version of PS for a few hundred $s/£s and still buy the new version 2-3 years later, which overall cost more than 2-3 years of $10 pcm so the new subscription is actually much cheaper than we were used to as well as being easier on the pocket

Even if, over time, EVERYONE switched to Affinity they'd still have a problem as once new sales stop they have no income, which means the company closes and all future development stops. Adobe saw this coming and that's what the subscription is all about really

As I said, the financial argument is silly - the only downside of the monthly payment version is that if you ever stop being a 'serious' tog you lose your PP tool - which THEN may be a good time to buy such as Affinity

Dave

How can you honestly believe a one-off purchase that low will cover 50 years' of future development !!!

I don't… and I see no fault in your development argument.
But yearly, it is still 50 against 120 and at the end of the year
it is still yours.

What is this thing about the software becoming “yours”? What do you intend doing with it when you die? Leave it to your kids?

What is this thing about the software becoming “yours”? What do you intend doing with it when you die? Leave it to your kids?

Why not?
If ones owns it, it may go any which way property usually goes!

That Adobe Kool-Aid must be pretty potent stuff! Funding the next 50 years of development is the software company's problem, not mine. If they add worthwhile features, or I need updated compatibility, and the price is reasonable, then I'll consider upgrading, as with any other product. Adobe's problem was that it was a behemoth of a company where many users were seeing diminishing returns for their money and skipping upgrades. I still have CS6, would be fine with CS3, and there isn't much I need that I couldn't do with a 16 year old copy of PS 7.0. But skipping upgrades was bad for Adobe's bottom line, so they brought in the compulsory rental scheme. Yes, this may be cheaper than buying every single CS upgrade, but is substantially more expensive for those of us who (e.g.) might have upgraded every 5-7 years, need packages beyond PS/LR, and had good pricing on one of the CS subset bundles. At work, a perpetual licence for CS6 Design Standard (PS, AI, ID, AA Pro) was not much more than a single year's subscription to the complete CC suite. This of course gives us a bunch of extra software, none of which we need. The latest versions of Affinity Photo and Designer, together with a couple of third party PDF manipulation packages that are free or covered by a site licence, now provide all the features we actually use. When the time comes to retire CS6, I suspect Adobe is going to lose out. Image editing is not something we do every single day, which makes a subscription even harder to justify. And I think Affinity will still be around to take our money - they are a much smaller company that doesn't need vast influxes of cash to maintain a global operation.

Come-on photographers!

You don't own software, at best you have a licence to use, be it perpetual or restricted by time.
Same as when you sell a photograph usually :)

I also tried affinity photo its actually pretty good and is very reasonable priced but lets be honest here it absolutely isn't better than Photoshop by any stretch of the imagination.

Like most things you get what you pay for.

It is a good tool though for those that don't do a lot of editing and don't need the more advanced features that Photoshop offers. If I shot just for my own use I would probably stick with it.

Without Photoshop there would be no Affinity photo it is just a rip off of the real deal.

Last edited:
Why not?
If ones owns it, it may go any which way property usually goes!
But (and granted, this is semantics) if you "buy" a piece of software, you do not "own" it. You merely have the licence to use it yourself (or a specified number of users) in perpetuity. It's not an item you can hold in your hand. Not since they stopped distributing it on discs, anyway!

But I understand the point you're trying to make; that you would sooner pay once for a programme and trust that updates are freely available for as long as it suits you, rather than paying a monthly or annual fee in return for periodic modernisation. Each to their own.

I have Afffinity Photo. To be honest, I do not really care about updates. It works fine now, which is when I am using it. In ten years time I might want an updated Affinity Photo or I might prefer an entirely new program that is using new technology and new editing concepts. If you have paid 10x120=1200 for Photoshop and someone else comes up with something much better suited to the future's cameras you have less for your money than I do as I will still have Affinity Photo and also the new program - you will just have the new program and a lot less money..

I bought it when it first came out 3 years ago at £19.99, I like it for what little editing I do and I have a play around with other features which I don’t really need ,
So far all the updates have been free ,I’m pleased with Afinity and what it can do.

Affinity needs to make a lightroom competitor.
For an amateur photographer (and, I suspect, for professional ones) Lightroom is far more useful than either Photoshop or Affinity Photo. So, yes, that needs to be Affinity's development route - assuming that they haven't already. I have never checked.

You kinda get used to what you got/use. My first look at Lightroom did not inspire me, but I kept at it, and now like it. Same with photoshop, only use it as it comes with Lightroom.

Have tried Affinity, and its OK, but as Lightroom is my poison, I keep taking it (hic)…..

Now if Lightroom did not exist, and the choice was Affinity or Photoshop, I have little doubt that cost would be a major factor...……..:)

I use it on Windows but it lacks for me two things, (1) An option to create my own profiles with the X-Rite Colorchecker although it was being offered FREE on Amazon a while back with a Colorchecker but they are not compatable. (2) I use Lightroom and often export multible images as layers and this option is not available from L/R to AP.

Affinity needs to make a lightroom competitor.
The developers have indicated they are interested in this, but it seems to be a the bottom of their priority list after Publisher (their DTP application) and the iPad version of Designer, etc.

The developers have indicated they are interested in this, but it seems to be a the bottom of their priority list after Publisher (their DTP application) and the iPad version of Designer, etc.

What a shame

If it out performs Capture One… otherwise they don't ever.
I used an old version of Capture One a few years ago and was impressed. But you'd hope that Affinity's pricing, if they ever make a DAM tool, will be a lot keener than Capture One's. The perpetual licence is pretty expensive and only good for 'dot releases', so it's the sort of thing you may have to re-purchase if you buy a camera that's only supported by the next major version. The subscription version is more expensive than the PS+LR rental. The old reasonably priced standalone version of Lightroom leaves quite a hole in the market.

I used an old version of Capture One a few years ago and was impressed.

Possibly the same version I had to use with my XF IQ3 /80… while
I was using Lr for my .NEF files. But when I could use them as well
in a new version of Capture One, that was the end of Lr.

…and with no deadringing option! :)

Last edited:
Affinity is slow to load, cant lift shadow detail and is slow to perform tasks. Serif need to improve and raise the price.

Affinity is slow to load, and is slow to perform tasks.

Really? On all my machines, it does equal or better then
the others. When I export from CO and click "open with"
AP, the app is up and running and the pictures loaded in
no time!

Affinity, cant lift shadow detail

I don't know nor do I understand why… it works well on my end…
though I would never use it for RAW processing with CO at hand.

Perhaps AP doesnt like my PC, however Serif agreed with me that its slow? But what should one really expect for £25?

Last edited:
So it would be fair comment for me to make a video stating that CS6 is better than affinity according to my workflow

So it would be fair comment for me to make a video stating that CS6 is better than affinity according to my workflow

Sure, not only fair but legitimate! … as this discussion is based on
everyone's experience in given working conditions.

Wisdom is found in the hands of the craftsmen using a set of
tools that does the job.

So many craftsmen, so many tools, so many working conditions. :cool:

Adobe’s one app or all approach is flawed. I do not want all their apps, and neither do I want just one.

I tend to associate apps with phones or tablets and programs on Pc or Mac. What are we refferring to?
Apps is an abbreviation of applications. An application (or app) is a program. Nothing has changed. It's time that you caught up.

Last edited:
I tend to associate apps with phones or tablets and programs on Pc or Mac. What are we refferring to?

This is a legitimate question and it was well formulated.
Mod Edit: Inappropriate Comment Removed

This is not my language, I'm just trying to use it. I understand
that this is not the proper reaction in this thread, to Rog answer.
Keep it cool! :cool:

MOD EDIT: We agree, and have dealt with it, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few things to say on this!
1st the fact it hasn't outsold PS over 1 year from the making of the video moots the premise "is affinity photo is better than PS".
& 2 I'm a master of PS and I've never heard of affinity photo hahaa!
EDIT:
if people have issues with the financial side of it try THIS software called PIXLR it's free and it has most the tools PS has.

Last edited:
As a photographer and graphic designer, the seamless integration between photoshop with all of adobe’s other Apps makes my life incredibly easier, and on that merit alone, keeps me loyal to adobe.

Back