Why are there so many arseholes in this country

Hot Topics is for threads where people are going to heatedly disagree with others over sincerely held beliefs, not for threads with a rude word in the title.

I don't think anyone is daft enough to start a fight contending swan shooting is okay.

(okay, maybe one or two might, but it'll be the perfect excuse to permaban them if they do...)

Hot Topics is for threads where people are going to heatedly disagree with others over sincerely held beliefs, not for threads with a rude word in the title.

I don't think anyone is daft enough to start a fight contending swan shooting is okay.

(okay, maybe one or two might, but it'll be the perfect excuse to permaban them if they do...)

Fair point.

At least the BBC has avoided the really pathetic RSPCA PR angle against air rifles. As can be seen from the X-ray, air weapons had nothing to do with this attack.

hmmm. A good tasty kill shouldn't be wasted. They make an excellent dinner. Just read all the medieval castle dinner accounts! :)
There’s an auful lot of lead in them according to picture.

Fair point.

At least the BBC has avoided the really pathetic RSPCA PR angle against air rifles. As can be seen from the X-ray, air weapons had nothing to do with this attack.
BBC has now pushed the RSPCA line.

There’s an auful lot of lead in them according to picture.

Indeed....I'm no expert, but it looks like bird shot to me.
There are some deformed pellets - that wouldn't happen with steel BBs, or even lead ones....velocity is too low.

By all (modern) accounts, they taste only marginally better than cormorant; ie totally shoite.

oook. You are the expert. Duck, geese, pheasants are all great. Cormorants, herons, etc are still on the to try list. I heard cormorants weren't the best.

I'm told by a police friend this is often done by game or fishing wardens, or people connected to local fishing, apparently swans "spoil" the fishing are are often targeted.
Certainly this isn't vandals with an air rifle, thats a shotgun. Some years back some swans not too far from where I used to live were killed, that turned out to be a fishing club member if I remember rightly.

I'm told by a police friend this is often done by game or fishing wardens, or people connected to local fishing, apparently swans "spoil" the fishing are are often targeted.
Certainly this isn't vandals with an air rifle, thats a shotgun. Some years back some swans not too far from where I used to live were killed, that turned out to be a fishing club member if I remember rightly.
Somehow the idea that this wasn't done by mindless thugs, makes it worse, that people could slaughter Swans because they "spoil" the fishing is repulsive.

Why do some people find this subject so amusing ?
Dark Humor? Disgusting as the act of shooting the swans may be
1. They didnt seem to suffer a painfull death in a trap or the like but died instantly shot by someone who aparently knew how to do it.
2.They are not an endangered species near extinction maybe of substantial importance to an entire ecosystem.
3. Seems like their deaths are now just used as symbol of the ignorance and cruelty of humanity because it happens in a othervice civil calm neighbourhood and not somewhere remote where its actually a daily routine
4. All in all seen in perspective and the bigger picture is thats a minor event not only globally but also compared to e.g. the amount of kittens left in boxes and bags to die from starving or drowned in streams by people who cant get around to get their cats neutralized or any kind of domestic animal thats mistreated.............
or the pointless killing of lions, tigers elefants rhinos...............
the wiping out entire ecosystems in rainforrests............
the extinction of polar bears that will be because of climate changes caused by man.
etc.

While I agree the shooter is an asshole dont get carried away by emotions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is seriously sick even if you are trying to be humorous :grumpy:

everyone has got an opinion thats what makes us human and not machines
you had a different opinion from me regarding ffords robbery earlier this year
that made no difference to you or me as they where insured might even been an inside job who knows who cares
you must learn to chill axe
and let everyone else have there own opinion

everyone has got an opinion thats what makes us human and not machines
you had a different opinion from me regarding ffords robbery earlier this year
that made no difference to you or me as they where insured might even been an inside job who knows who cares
you must learn to chill axe
and let everyone else have there own opinion

There were plenty others that thought you were a dick with your comments as well - not just me :)

Link:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/ffordes-break-in.685669/#post-8273526

Last edited:
Why have they not come up with "organic" stainless steel version?

They have. You're required by law to use non-toxic shot for any water fowl. Its irrelevant really cause I doubt whoever did this worries about legalities

Either Bismuth or Stainless Steel to be exact.

The AEWA 1999 agreed to limit the use of lead shot to avoid poisoning water sources.

That means in England that lead is banned "over all foreshore, over specified SSSIs, and for the shooting of all ducks and geese, coot and moorhen."

The irony is that inland you can shoot non-waterfowl over water with lead shot - which is a nightmare if you are out on a shoot with mixed game near water. It means constantly changing loads. Scotland and Ireland take a more practical approach and just ban the use of lead over all water.

The second irony is that the AEWA doesn't refer to swan. But then again they are a protected species. So you can't shoot them (without a licence) but if you do, you can use whichever load you like.

very easy to say when your not infront of the man never know maybe one day
keyboard warriors

its amazing what people will type on any forum
if one person says black one will say white
thats what i mean were all different with different opinions

its amazing what people will type on any forum
if one person says black one will say white
thats what i mean were all different with different opinions

........but in the thread I linked to there was one person; YOU that said 'black' everyone else said 'white' - that should make you evaluate your own logic! I would call you what I said to your face as well - not just on a keyboard :)

........but in the thread I linked to there was one person; YOU that said 'black' everyone else said 'white' - that should make you evaluate your own logic! I would call you what I said to your face as well - not just on a keyboard :)
The majority is not always right just because it's the majority.

Why are there so many arseholes in this country - Because there is a lack of respect, discipline and no deterrent.

Why are there so many arseholes in this country - Because there is a lack of respect, discipline and no deterrent.
By what swanseamale wrote, that would not appear to be the case. I think the fact it was a shotgun used would indicate not mindless idiots but self interested, pre meditated "sporting" people.

Why do some people find this subject so amusing ?

Hi Paul - Unfortunately I think the title you chose for the thread explains why so many find it amusing :-(

Personally the senseless killing of a whole family of such beautiful birds repulses me.

Last edited:
Many gamekeepers poison birds of prey too, anything the spoils the hunting/fishing/shooting. It's a sad world we live in.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a targeted attack in that way.

Kind of related to this thread, the raptor persecution map isn’t good viewing and is difficult to argue that isn’t a correlation.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0f04dd3b78e544d9a6175b7435ba0f8c

Could this perhaps be a case of mistaken identity? As far as I'm aware, as part of the current shotgun licence vetting procedure there's no requirement to recognise game birds in flight. Aside from the intentional killing type scenarios, did the person/s who shot those swans perhaps mistake them for geese in flight? What a great way for said person/s to lose their shooting rights on someone's land (not to mention potential prosecution if someone reported the incident)! :facepalm: If so, did they then try to cover their mistake and dispose of their kills on their way home when they thought no one was looking? This scenario could possibly explain why the birds were bagged up and dumped, rather than being disposed of well out of sight if due to a pre-planned illegal act?

Last edited:
By what swanseamale wrote, that would not appear to be the case. I think the fact it was a shotgun used would indicate not mindless idiots but self interested, pre meditated "sporting" people.

Why would my comment only apply to mindless idiots?

Back