Why do people ruin their video with music?

I don't mind music in videos if it's suitable music played quietly during a time when no one is talking, as I think long silences can feel a bit awkward. My pet hate though is people who have the sound levels wrong so that you get really quiet talking which you have to turn up to hear, only to be deafened by music a few seconds later.
I actually like the silence, it makes me absorb the video a lot more. I also find it very relaxing.

I'm afraid you're all being a bit sexist here and you can't save all this grumpiness for men only - I'd like to add myself in as a Grumpy Old Woman :LOL:

I have a hearing loss and it drives me bonkers when they play music over the narrative. At other times, it's fine, you can turn the volume down if you want.

I often use subtitles if they're available and I usually make a comment too if it's a problem - if their hearing is perfect then it won't have occurred to them that the music may lose them subscribers... and they want subscribers.

I also think my brain is wired funny, as it only takes small things to mess with my brain while watching videos. These things can include annoying music, and flashing graphics. Oh and also, the host shouting WHATS UP GUYS! That is something else that makes me skip the video, as I can usually tell how the video is going to pan out.

I hope Kylie Minogue (and Danii!), Kate Bush and the Spice Girls see this thread and take note...

I am not talking about music videos, but rather reviews and other informative video. You know, where they are talking about something, and for some inexplicable reason, they stick a load of stupid music over the video, and while they are talking to the viewers. It just makes it difficult for the viewers, to listen to the important bits.

Thread title makes no mention of camera reviews. ;)

I know I do make silly posts at times, but if I were to make a thread saying, " Music videos should not contain music, they should all be mimed", now that would be silly of me. ;)

And while I am on the subject of complaining about music...

I really dislike it, when the news is reporting on a sad issue and they play sad music. On the local news last night, and they were interviewing a woman on a sad topic, and they played Piano music over the interview. I dislike being coerced into feeling sad, I can make my own mind up on being sad, thank you very much. ;)

Ps

Off to make my breakfast now and without the breakfast radio on. I could have a choice of Bacon and Eggs and listen to all those lovely frying sounds. Or I might keep it simple, and have Rice Krispies. ;);)

The soundtrack can make a huge difference to video, but getting it to work well with music is a huge job certainly bigger effort than many YouTubers put in to the whole production.
Among the Channels that I watch regularly there is one that tends to use music on speeded up sections (generally these don't have narrative) I'm not wild about their music choice but it doesn't become invasive. I'd consider this one of the better produced efforts.

I've watched a few DIY videos where the only soundtrack is dance music. These get a significant improvement by simply muting them - but have still generally proved highly disappointing. At least I can mute YouTube & listen to the radio instead. Remembering to undo the mute afterwards is also useful, as the narrative is a major part of the better videos. :)

For the many videos that swamp important narrative with bad music I simply switch to another channel. If their taste is that bad is their opinion likely to be of any use? Their probably similar to some of the Amazon reviews I've seen that clearly show the writer doesn't have a clue how to use something.

The soundtrack can make a huge difference to video, but getting it to work well with music is a huge job certainly bigger effort than many YouTubers put in to the whole production.
Among the Channels that I watch regularly there is one that tends to use music on speeded up sections (generally these don't have narrative) I'm not wild about their music choice but it doesn't become invasive. I'd consider this one of the better produced efforts.

I've watched a few DIY videos where the only soundtrack is dance music. These get a significant improvement by simply muting them - but have still generally proved highly disappointing. At least I can mute YouTube & listen to the radio instead. Remembering to undo the mute afterwards is also useful, as the narrative is a major part of the better videos. :)

For the many videos that swamp important narrative with bad music I simply switch to another channel. If their taste is that bad is their opinion likely to be of any use? Their probably similar to some of the Amazon reviews I've seen that clearly show the writer doesn't have a clue how to use something.

There is one YouTuber that we watch, and he goes around the Country rating food shops. He is very popular and me and the missus love him, as do thousands of other of his followers do. He does use music a tiny little bit, and he uses speeded up content, and speeded up dubbed speech. It is a bit annoying and loads of his followers have told him via the comments section, to ditch the silly practices. Just waiting for him to get around to reading those comments.

I also think my brain is wired funny, as it only takes small things to mess with my brain while watching videos. These things can include annoying music, and flashing graphics. Oh and also, the host shouting WHATS UP GUYS! That is something else that makes me skip the video, as I can usually tell how the video is going to pan out.
If so, mine is also wired funny. I can't cope with scrolling info on the screen when I'm watching the news - it's as if my concentration is pulled in two directions. I'm rubbish at multi tasking, I have a single core processor :ROFLMAO:

I agree on the 'What's up guys!' but that might be a generation thing.

Reactions: Sky
If so, mine is also wired funny. I can't cope with scrolling info on the screen when I'm watching the news - it's as if my concentration is pulled in two directions. I'm rubbish at multi tasking, I have a single core processor :ROFLMAO:

I agree on the 'What's up guys!' but that might be a generation thing.

I thought all women cold multi task haha. I think the "What's Up Guys" is more of an American thing, and I don't watch any American stuff.

PS

I am probably too old and stuffy. ;)

It's not all bad then. ;)

@pukkagen come back and tell us why it's better to have poor musical choices than none at all.

Bad music would make a video un watchable for most people, so surely no music is better than bad music.
I don't understand his thoughts either.

Bad music would make a video un watchable for most people, so surely no music is better than bad music.
I don't understand his thoughts either.
I assume it just he has very different tastes in 'music'. A colleague at work likes playing some noise called dance music at work during lunchtime. - I think I'll head out with the camera to avoid it.

I assume it just he has very different tastes in 'music'. A colleague at work likes playing some noise called dance music at work during lunchtime. - I think I'll head out with the camera to avoid it.

Possibly. :)

I don't mind music, and pretty fond of the 80s Electro/Breakdance, but certainly not added to review video. ;)

We do have some favourites that we watch on YouTube, we thought we had found a great channel to watch. It could have been a really great channel to watch, if he had of spoken to the viewers, as he was on his travels. But he ruined it, by playing blaring silly music all the way through it.

Back