Why so many updates for windows 10?

Been sat for 25 minutes staring at windows configuration 100% complete. Pain in my arse.

Been sat for 25 minutes staring at windows configuration 100% complete. Pain in my arse.
I must say I do not understand why so many say this, my only thought are do you keep your system clean, do you run any software to keep it working fine and remove all the junk that often gets left behind.
I often run Glary 1 click maintenance tool and if removing any old programmes then its Revo as this will remove all the crap left behind normal removal.
It would be interesting to know if you do any of this or not.

I don't mate as I've never heard of either of them. I'll look into downloading them later and give them a go although if it's updates for windows I'm assuming for the actual program then why will what's on my system matter? Is it just that the system will run the updates quicker?

I run with cookies disabled most of the time on that laptop, and run CCleaner after each time I use it to remove any rubbish. It only has essential programmes on it that I actually use and isn't clogged up with daft games, apps, etc. I also use Norton Utilities periodically to fix any registry issues, etc. and have defragged it completely twice durin the last year.

When it's up and running it seems quick enough for what it is, it's just the amount of updates I seem to have to run when I come to use it every couple of weeks or so. If it's not the anti-virus software nagging me for updates and scans, it's Windows 10 downloading some system or software update or other.

I think if you run a computer each day you don't tend to notice how many times updates are required, but running and connecting something to the internet only a couple of times a month and it can be a bit of a barrage! I tend to run the anti-virus update first, then let the rest happen, but this Win 10 Features update was a bit of a pain! I've not found any use for the new 'features' yet (as far as I know), which makes it seem a significant waste of time for me.

Last edited:
After my updates the other day, when I plug my camera in to download my images, it no longer automatically loads Canon Utilities, which is annoying.

Had a great day out today, and even better when I got home. On my old Toshiba I took off win 10 and installed Ubuntu and think I should of done that ages ago, Ubuntu is a damn sight faster and really has saved the old laptop, if it proves to carry on being great, then I will do the same with the other laptop, so goodbye microsoft and Hello Ubuntu :)

I must say I do not understand why so many say this, my only thought are do you keep your system clean, do you run any software to keep it working fine and remove all the junk that often gets left behind.
I often run Glary 1 click maintenance tool and if removing any old programmes then its Revo as this will remove all the crap left behind normal removal.
It is a bit of a damning of Windows. In my many years of running Linux, I never had to clean things up - the operating system did that itself as it should. No junk should ever 'get left behind'!

Windows has been around for over twenty years (I first had Windows 3 in 1996) and it should be grown up by now.

I’ve never used any of those optimisation programs and only really use the laptop on weekends and don’t have any of these problems or issues.

It’s not even like it’s a top line laptop, it’s only an Asus i3...

I bought a laptop that had windows 10 and Libra office and nothing else. I have only installed paintshop pro and it’s various add ons and Nikon’s raw handling software. No third party antivirus, no games, no optimising software and I do have these issues...

It is a bit of a damning of Windows. In my many years of running Linux, I never had to clean things up - the operating system did that itself as it should. No junk should ever 'get left behind'!

Windows has been around for over twenty years (I first had Windows 3 in 1996) and it should be grown up by now.

I've been running linux at home for more than 10 years now, and used to find various distros would cruft up or stop working after a while due to updates: open SUSE, Sabayon (updates would frequently render the system inaccessible other than by command line) Mint, Pear, Linux Lite to name the key OSs I used for extended periods. As with Windows and OSX, things are better than they used to be, and it's more unusual for the (practically daily) updates to cause problems other than just slowing things down a bit - currently using Mint Mate as my main home desktop, and it's running distinctly slower after about 12 months use.

A question I'd ask is who continually installs & un-installs software? Why does junk need removing all the time? Surely we all have software installed that we want to use & leave it at that - it's not like the good/bad old day of free software on computer magazines, where we'd all just be incredibly interested to try something new to see what it would do.

And I don't do any of that on either my work PC which his used for software development and testing, so has a pretty hard life, or my home PC, and have no slowdown problems (both running Windows 10, one as a clean install just after W10 release and the other as an upgrade from W7).

"Slowdowns" are generally user induced by installing a boatload of crapware. Friend of mine was complaining her computer was knackered and taking 45 minutes to boot so she needed a new one. There was so much rubbish in the registry loading on startup, legion "browser helper objects" etc etc etc it was a wonder it didn't just implode.

A question I'd ask is who continually installs & un-installs software? Why does junk need removing all the time? Surely we all have software installed that we want to use & leave it at that - it's not like the good/bad old day of free software on computer magazines, where we'd all just be incredibly interested to try something new to see what it would do.

The thing to watch is some of the valid installers which add other apps. For a while things like Adobe Reader tried to add McAfee by default, which then played havoc if you had anything else. If fact they even install other programs running in the background that don't need to be enabled, Java Update Scheduler, Adobe love to put apps in at startup, google etc.

I too seem to be stuck in the endless update syndrome and have been following this thread for a few weeks now.

I'm still on build 10586 and the system has not been able to do any 'major' updates since before the Anniversary edition. I now get warning pop ups from Microsoft telling me that my version of Windows 10 will no longer be supported in the coming months so I guess it's time to start looking at the problem that's stopping the updates.

Pleased to say everything is now fully updated and seems to be working fine.

The company that built my PC had it on remote for a large part of Friday and all Monday. Looking at the screen I could see things being done remotely but the updates seemed to be still going round and round in a loop. Finally, about 6pm last night, after nothing seemed to have worked and the update history showing loads of 'failed' notices we gave up for the day. When I woke the PC up just after 10pm, there was a large pop up on the screen saying Welcome To The Fall Update. Somehow all the updates had installed and I'm still none the wiser as to how it happened. I'll wait until the techies remote on again and hopefully they will let me know all is fine.

Last edited:
I seem to be stuck in the "failed updates loop" - is there a cure for this? Driving me nuts!

So I did the updates manually and they installed no problem- apart from they messed up my resolution settings
I normally use 1920 x 1080 but this option had disappeared - had to re-install the old graphics driver

Back