weekly WMD's 52 for 2013 - Completed - at last! (51 & 52 Added!)

Hi

Excellent shot for sweet caught the sugar lump perfectly, how many attempts did you have at it. :clap:

Hi Matt :wave:

Cracking timing there mister....perfect.....just clipped the base of the mug slightly though....great whites as well :clap:

That is a fantastic capture Matt. I love the way the sugar remains white as it is half entering the drink. Is that "as shot" or have you added the white cube over the top of the submerging cube in post? If you get my drift.

Just to echo what everyone else has said above Matt, great timing, execution and composition. It could easily be an advert (y)

Sweet is an absolute cracker Matt... :clap:

Hi Excellent shot for sweet caught the sugar lump perfectly, how many attempts did you have at it. :clap:

Thank you! :) Believe it or not, this was one of the first shots I took - but I actually carried on and took a load more. It was only when the coffee cup was close to full that I decided to stop and have a look at what I'd taken. Typically I ended up with one of the first shots!

Hi Matt :wave: Cracking timing there mister....perfect.....just clipped the base of the mug slightly though....great whites as well :clap:

Thank you, glad you like! :)

That is a fantastic capture Matt. I love the way the sugar remains white as it is half entering the drink. Is that "as shot" or have you added the white cube over the top of the submerging cube in post? If you get my drift.

Thank you - glad you like it! It is indeed as shot, no photoshopping other than a slight levels tweak / tidy up! Just got lucky with the timing I guess!

Just to echo what everyone else has said above Matt, great timing, execution and composition. It could easily be an advert (y)

Wow, thank you! (y)

Sweet. Cracker. Timing is bang in and I do like the detail. The red inside the cup really adds to the photograph. Cheers.

Thank you, I've used these cups on quite a few 52 weeks now - they're famous! Haha.

Sweet is an absolute cracker Matt... :clap:

Thank you! ;)

Well, I've fallen behind by a few weeks now unfortunately - mostly due to the fact I was in a car accident and with one thing and another have simply not had a chance to catch up. That said, I'm going to get the camera out this weekend and have a go! :) Stay tuned!

Hi,
thats a great idea and really well executed can't fault that at all (y)
Bit extreme shaving your head for a photo :LOL:

Hi Matt

I have absolutely no idea how you would photoshop a shaved head on.....can you enlighten me please as I'm feeling extra blonde tonight ? Cracking idea though & well shot

Live....another well thought out & executed image....great exposure , super use of DOF ....love it :clap:

Another great shot Matt. Its excellent how the clarity of the camera and image is in stark contrast to the larger oof background. Great ambient colours too :clap:
Yep. Another great shot from WMD.

Thanks Alan! Had to make the most of the nice warm sunshine coming in through the patio doors - annoyingly though, I seem to have caught the edge of the table in the 'Live View' screen! :( Glad you like though, thank you for the feedback! :)

Hi Matt
I have absolutely no idea how you would photoshop a shaved head on.....can you enlighten me please as I'm feeling extra blonde tonight ? Cracking idea though & well shot

Live....another well thought out & executed image....great exposure , super use of DOF ....love it :clap:

Hi Lynne! Hehe, glad you like it - it's actually easier than you might think! It's done using layer masks - line up the bald head (!), use the masks to remove the bits I don't want showing through to the layer below - then tweak the brightness / levels to match up the skin tones! Glad you like it Lynne, thanks for the feedback! :)

Some corkers there Matt. You always seem to come up with something good.

I'm doing a '52 this year as well so I know how difficult it can be to keep on coming up with ideas.

Well done. :)

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Like the focus on the drip , you can see it's the fingers causing the melt . There's just something about it that doesn't sit right but I really can't put my finger on it :thinking: The darker horizontal line behind the glass draws me eye a little...maybe that's it ? That said I also like that the cubes in the glass are quite sharp.....maybe it's the darkness of the liquid in the glass ? Dunno ,but it's definately something :bang:

Some corkers there Matt. You always seem to come up with something good.
I'm doing a '52 this year as well so I know how difficult it can be to keep on coming up with ideas.
Well done. :)

Thanks Brian - I will catch up on other people's shots too! I've nearly caught up on my own then I'll be sure to check your 52 out also! :)

Hi Matt
Like the focus on the drip , you can see it's the fingers causing the melt . There's just something about it that doesn't sit right but I really can't put my finger on it :thinking: The darker horizontal line behind the glass draws me eye a little...maybe that's it ? That said I also like that the cubes in the glass are quite sharp.....maybe it's the darkness of the liquid in the glass ? Dunno ,but it's definately something :bang:

Thanks Lynne - I know what you mean, so I had another go! I think it was the b/w conversion I wasn't quite happy with! I've tweaked the curves and resubmitted! :)

Here's my submission for 'Left':

44/52 - Left
by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Really struggled with this theme to be honest, tried a few things but settled with this one in the end: Left in a 'Left behind' type thing! Probably one of the weaker shots this year to be honest, but can't let it keep me from catching up! :p

Catchup continues!

45/52 - Food
Went for a more contrasting colour theme this week rather than my usual clean, white background. Thought the green worked well here contrasting with the vivid red of the Pepper. Also took this using my 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron (I would've normally defaulted to my 35mm f1.8!) and was pleased with the sharpness of the final result. Still toying with the idea of getting a dedicated Macro lens for shots like this, but there's so much camera gear I'd like it's crazy!

theres not too much wrong with left - the padlock's been left on the bridge, nice colours behind, good composition.

Pepper for food works really well with the orange and green, plenty sharp enough, scratches on the fork and hairs in the stalk caught well.

7 shots in 4 weeks for you now. ;)

Cut, you PSd it :nono: ;) cracker. Well processed and I wasn't sure about the composition but after looking for a while it's bang on.

Live, cracking camera. Is it the X100?? Well composed, good detail and colours. What's the OOF brown bit at the bottom of the viewfinder?

Left, well spotted and a red padlock as well.

I'll be back....looking after a poorly daughter...

Last edited:
Hi Matt

definite improvement for Melt..:)

Food.....good clean shot but although the green contrasts well with the orangy red , it doesn't work for me . Appreciate you wanting to use something different to white though , can't help thinking black or eve a darker orangy red might have worked ? But then again I know nothing :LOL:

Left......yup , on theme , good angle ,great focus & a bright splash of color

Art.....like it.......no crit ,just like it (y)

No....no...no...no.....

I commented.....and looks like I forgot to 'post rely',

Grrrrr.

Overall, well composed, cracking colours, and......a X100(S) ???

Art is an absolute beauty. Love it loads...

Now I can see 2 ways of doing these....

One, get out your sketch pad and pencil, draw the drawn part, and then hold it up into the scene....
Or Two, Take the shot (with hand in place??), and then PP the art part?

I'm suspecting the 2nd... but the execution is spot on and makes for a really striking shot. (y)

Cut, you PSd it :nono: ;) cracker. Well processed and I wasn't sure about the composition but after looking for a while it's bang on.

Live, cracking camera. Is it the X100?? Well composed, good detail and colours. What's the OOF brown bit at the bottom of the viewfinder?

Left, well spotted and a red padlock as well.

I'll be back....looking after a poorly daughter...

Hi Andy - glad you approve of my catch up so far! :p
Live - it's an X100S (great bit of kit, but takes a bit of getting used to coming from DSLR!) The band across the bottom is actually the edge of the table - only noticed afterwards and the sun was long gone! :( Doh!

P.S - Hope daughter is on the mend! :)

Hi Matt

definite improvement for Melt..:)

Food.....good clean shot but although the green contrasts well with the orangy red , it doesn't work for me . Appreciate you wanting to use something different to white though , can't help thinking black or eve a darker orangy red might have worked ? But then again I know nothing :LOL:

Left......yup , on theme , good angle ,great focus & a bright splash of color

Art.....like it.......no crit ,just like it (y)

Hi Lynne - glad you approve of Melt & Art!
I know what you mean re the green - the bit of plastic I used was more bluey, so there was a bit of PP involved to get it greener - perhaps it needs more tweaking!

Art is an absolute beauty. Love it loads...

Now I can see 2 ways of doing these....

One, get out your sketch pad and pencil, draw the drawn part, and then hold it up into the scene....
Or Two, Take the shot (with hand in place??), and then PP the art part?

I'm suspecting the 2nd... but the execution is spot on and makes for a really striking shot. (y)

Thanks Graham! :)
I really liked the idea too - can't claim it as my own though as I saw it on a guy's flickr stream that I follow (it's worth checking out too - http://www.flickr.com/photos/benheine/sets/72157623723956821/)
I suspect, like you, there's a few ways of doing it - my way was more of a combination of the two methods you suggested! ;) I actually took the shot (without hand), then PS'd both the hand & paper (& ripped edge actually!) back over the top. Layer masks! :) Check out Ben's flickr stream as his sketching versions are superb! :D

48/52 - Sleek
Bit of a tricky theme this one! I immediately thought of some exotic sports car, but given that I'm currently stuck driving a Fiesta - I figured this might prove difficult! So instead I settled on my new toy - my X100S. Irrespective of how good the functionality of the camera is - I love the look and feel - sleek?! :)

HI
Nice catch up
LIVE works really well and a good idea
REFLECTION is that Chester?
FOOD i like the green and red together makes a very striking image
FRIENDSHIP I like the lighting and the Idea is spot on
SLEEK very similar to Andys pic i really like the wide border around it and the little splash of colour on the lens
COLOUR nicely lit and great colour
all together nice work (y)

Hi Allan - Glad you like!
Yup, tis indeed Chester - the missus lives in Handbridge, so quite often resort to what Chester has to offer when it comes to my 52!

Feels strange being caught up, just need to catch up on everyone else's threads now! :)

blimey - three more!!

circle of friendship is a really nice idea... the shadows really adding. Could have maybe gone a tad further towards the lower left corner with it all, and is that the join of the two ends top left of the circle? But I'm being picky now!

super job on the x100s, seem to be coming rather popular these do... nice triptych, love the splash of green on the lens in the centre, good detail and suitable DOF on all three. Sure Andy'll like this one. ;)

peppers, bright and colourful, feel the red and yellow could do with a curly stalk atop them like the orange one has. Like the shadow under each and the hint of colour reflection too.

There was also a re-shoot card drawn this week. :naughty: :LOL:

Nice idea with friendship and well composed. I like the low angle and shadows. I'd like all the cut outs in focus.

Sleek, nice. Well composed and good tonal range. I like the border. I've been quite tempted to sell up and buy one :)

Colour, cracking idea and well executed. Think I'd like to see a tad more detail. I quite like how the RH pepper appears to be looking at the other two :)

Good catchup.

Hi Matt

love the idea & execution of Friendship...you must have a patience of a saint to cut those out...shadows work really well :clap:

Sleek...I think Fuji are taking over the world :eek: As per Andy's shot I like the framing & layout , the hint of color in the lens & the detail you have picked out using DOf....(y)

Color....another neat idea , not sure on the bg ( again) & the peppers have enough detail in them to look real :)

Back