weekly WMD's 52 for 2013 - Completed - at last! (51 & 52 Added!)

Week 28: Plenty
Got to say, I think if any of my shots have been weak on theme, then this one will be a push! :LOL:
After having already done 'Greed' & 'Gluttony' themes previously in this year's 52, I wanted a different take on 'Plenty'.
So this one is 3 x exposures / shots taken by me (3 is plenty!) and is my first portrait of this years 52 - believe me, 1 is plenty! ;)

28/52 - Plenty by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Note to self: Have a shave next time I plan on doing a portrait! :)

Last edited:
'Ello, Plenty, great clarity and detail in there. The choice of elements works well and it's an interesting take.

Crit, I can't make my mind of about the bright bit on the upper right. Do you have any with this part a little darker

Cheers.

I like the idea and I think you've done a good job of presenting this, like Andy I'm not too keen on the bright area (upper rhs) but I don't think it completely ruins it, it would be better without it though.

Hi Matt
It a great idea I have to agree, don't mind the light area myself, it reminds me of an album cover but I can't think which one:thinking:

Hi Matt

whew...lots to catch up on...

Plenty...cracking bit of pp mister....like it lots even with the brighter bit which I guess is the sun shining through ?

Process....fab sharpness , like the sc , well thought out & excellent pp :clap: Just one question.......with enough willing helpers would it not be possible to get the same result with just one image ?

Pair....lovely evening image , well spotted & caught ,silhouetted perfectly with lovely colors in the sky :clap:

Shape...I do like a good moon shot....nicely placed in the frame with good use of negative space & plenty of detail in the moon(y)

Rock.....impressive building with lovely colors & a really good image from a phone...who needs a dslr anyway :LOL:

Size....the set up shot helps no end, maybe having them a little close would have helped :thinking:

well done on the catch up mister (y)

Matt, I'm catching up too, on comments!

Vertical has a pleasing simplicity to it that I really like... but actually it's quite disturbing, as the verticals don't seem quite parallel to the edges of the shot!

Pattern is just... stunning! Fantastic colours, lovely shapes, great patterns, and terrific contrast between the building and the whispy clouds.

Movement... I'm not sure on this one, it's a bit odd. The wiggly lines are weird, and TBH don't really shout "movement" to me. But it's an appealing quirky pic despite that, perhaps because of the weirdness of the colours...

Wonder what's on p7?

Catchup comment part 2!

Below: works pretty well I think; you were lucky with yournposition in the cabin, as the wing moving back towards you seems pretty key to it working.

Size: perhaps too clever for your own good here? In the end, the shot should surely stand on its own feet, and this one's only visual reference to size for me, is that these are both small things! The setup shot might be a pretty good choice, though!

Process: really like this one, very clever idea. I particularly like the seective colour in this context.

Rock: stunning, wish I was there!

Pair: lovely silhouette against a perfect blue hour sky, nice whispy clouds, like this a lot!

Shape: very nice indeed, well positioned too.

Plenty: yes, perhaps more of a jackhammer than a crowbar, but who cares! I'm not sure I'd have guessed the 3 shots if not pre-warned, although you can clearly see the clouds if looking. Maybe the 3rd wasn't really needed? Seems like this fella is dreaming of escape to the country... I agree about the very light area top right being a bit odd, but otherwise, a great idea and very interesting shot.

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it! I really need to catch up with everyone else's threads now too. :)

Another catch up post coming up...
Although to be fair, my excuse this time was that my camera was out of action for a while as it was long overdue a proper sensor clean. Now that's done it's like a new camera!
Anyway, on to the pics:
Week 29 - Speed:

29/52 - Speed by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Hi Matt :)

Speed - Great shot that, LOADS of colour and interest for me, nailed that one (y)

Step(s) - Again some cracking punchy colours, the low shot works very well with the steps leading up the image - cracking sky to top it off too !!!

Mono - Interesting idea, very well executed, the mono negative is framed well too - great image again (y)

Good to hear you feel your camera is top notch again too !!!

Last edited:
I absolutely love speed and mono - great execution on both, top shelf stuff.

Hi Matt :wave:

Steps.....I'm liking that , good low pov that leads your right through the frame to the building , good colors & details in the steps (y) Good sky as well but it seems possibly a little bright in places ?

Speed....belting shot mister....sharp where it needs to be with a great sense of movement & speed :clap:

Mono....brilliant idea that & really well executed, think you've covered a the full range of mono tones in there :clap::clap: feel wicked saying this about such an accomplished shot but.....it niggles me that you've cropped the right elbow out....sorry :crying:

Hi Matt
3 very nice pics

Speed agree with DK lots of interest in there
Steps I really like the viewpoint you have used
Mono very interesting take on the theme

hi matt - speed really is rather super for me, nice colours and lines through the image...

steps - nice lead in although the castle thing at the top ends up being quite small so hard to see where the steps are leading you to.... no exif but is this the effect of a wide angle??

mono works well - super placement, and conversion.

Speed work well. I like the tilt and colours.

Steps, yeah, on theme and good low angle and good use of wide angle. Candidate for B&W, IMO.

Mono, this I like. Great composition, nice and clean and it has a real Man Ray feel to it.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, really appreciate it! I promise to catch up on everyone else's threads too - struggling to find the time to upload and keep track of everyone! :D

Hi Matt

Speed - Great shot that, LOADS of colour and interest for me, nailed that one (y)

Step(s) - Again some cracking punchy colours, the low shot works very well with the steps leading up the image - cracking sky to top it off too !!!

Mono - Interesting idea, very well executed, the mono negative is framed well too - great image again (y)

Good to hear you feel your camera is top notch again too !!!

Thanks DK! Mono is maybe a candidate for a re-shoot to be honest, not 100% sure about it really! Glad you like theme though!

I absolutely love speed and mono - great execution on both, top shelf stuff.

Thanks John! :D

Hi Matt
Steps.....I'm liking that , good low pov that leads your right through the frame to the building , good colors & details in the steps (y) Good sky as well but it seems possibly a little bright in places ?

Speed....belting shot mister....sharp where it needs to be with a great sense of movement & speed :clap:

Mono....brilliant idea that & really well executed, think you've covered a the full range of mono tones in there :clap: feel wicked saying this about such an accomplished shot but.....it niggles me that you've cropped the right elbow out....sorry

Hi Lynne! Appreciate the feedback, you might well be right about the sky - in all honesty, I wasn't expecting the weather to be that good(!) and didn't pack any filters! Doh! :bonk:
As above, the Mono shot might well be a re-shoot later on - good spot on the elbow too! (y)

Hi Matt
3 very nice pics

Speed agree with DK lots of interest in there
Steps I really like the viewpoint you have used
Mono very interesting take on the theme

Thanks Allan! :)

hi matt - speed really is rather super for me, nice colours and lines through the image...

steps - nice lead in although the castle thing at the top ends up being quite small so hard to see where the steps are leading you to.... no exif but is this the effect of a wide angle??

mono works well - super placement, and conversion.

Thanks Graham! The steps thing might well be the 10-20 wide angle, but I did want to capture the steps at the very bottom rather than towards the top (therefore making the tower bigger) as they were more interesting! The upper steps are quite new and big blocks of stone, whereas these were a bit more cobbled and interesting I thought. I'm sure I'll be back here for another go! :)

Speed work well. I like the tilt and colours.
Steps, yeah, on theme and good low angle and good use of wide angle. Candidate for B&W, IMO.
Mono, this I like. Great composition, nice and clean and it has a real Man Ray feel to it.
Good show.
Cheers.

Thanks Andy! I agree re the B&W for steps, just didn't want to go OTT with the B&W really (quite a few B&W shots showing in my 52 already!) Also, seeing as the weather was so good, it'd be a shame to take out that blue sky right?! :naughty:

Week 32 - Connection:

32/52 - Connection by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Put a bit more Photoshopping into this weeks shot - this is a few shots all combined in PS to create the overall effect i.e. shot of the bulb illuminated / shot of bulb base / hand poses.
I was initially going for a take on the 'Creation of Adam' for connection, but wanted to have a go at this technique and it seemed to work well with the theme!

I'll be honest, am a bit stumped with the 'Beginning' theme! :)

That is stunning!

Yep .. stunning indeed. Faultless às well. Love the subtle shadow cast by the hand on the right.

^^ Wow, thanks guys!
I wasn't sure about the shadow and considered cloning it out - but I think it works leaving it in, gives it that bit more realism?

Hi Matt

WOW....super shot for connection...fab pp work ( I can't work out how to do this type of thing for love nor money :bang: ):clap::clap: Just to be awkward ...I'd lose the shadow & out a light texture on the bg...but then again I couldn't even do the basic shot so what do I know :LOL:

Mono - that's clever. (y)
Connection - hahaha, well executed and very humorous. Good work.

I'm still here! :)
I've been struggling to get online these past few weeks, but I have been taking the shots still. Fallen tragically behind on other people's posts - but I will catch up!

Anyway, here's a catch up!

33/52 - Beginning by whatmattdoes, on Flickr
Bit of a cop-out shot I admit! Did play around with just photographing the page number (i.e. page 1), but I thought the Genesis part gave it more relevance to the theme?

34/52 - Still by whatmattdoes, on Flickr
I think this shot might be a bit of a shoe-in too, but hear me out! :LOL: I thought it met the brief as the panning shot effectively made the fast moving car (Formula Ford 1600) appear still on a moving background? No? Haha.

35/52 - Whimsical by whatmattdoes, on Flickr
OK, so why is this Whimsical? I basically grabbed my camera (which thankfully had 1 bar of battery and wasn't completely dead!) and went for a walk - no planning, no idea of what to take, just on a whim. Caught the sun setting and decided to stitch this panoramic shot.
Taken with Sigma 10-20 and stitched.

36/52 - Curve by whatmattdoes, on Flickr
I've been messing about with photography for a few years now and never tried this kind of shot. Quite funny watching the drivers react by slowing down thinking it's a speed trap! I thought for sure the curve of this section of motorway (M6) would be more obvious, but alas - it's pretty subtle! Nevertheless, it is curved, so it's in for this week's shot!

Last edited:
Thanks Brian - can't guarantee it, but I'll try! Haha. Am off out with the camera this weekend so hopefully will be able to twist one of those shots into the 'Power' theme! :)

Good to see you back Matt :wave:

Still.......would have been spot on with your thinking if you'd managed to freeze the movement in the wheels...other than that it's a fab pan....lenty sharp with good detail (y)

Whimiscal......bit of a crowbar ( but then said bar has been working hard for this theme!) but as it's a such a lovely shot you get a (y) from me

Curve......lovely light trails ,bit of early evening light in the sky & nice star effects on the lights :clap:

Welcome back Matt :)

Glad you kept the shots up... of the last batch I really love the 'Beginning' shot, it's perfect for the them, a great subtle colour and a great DoF

Still - well caught action !!!
Whimsical - Nice shot, well stitched :)
Curve - Not bad trails, the lh & top seems a bit too dark, but a real good curve

Keep em coming (y)

Finally got out with my camera last weekend!
After being up to catch the sun rise at 4:30am and shooting all day until sun set - I managed to get some shots for my 52.

+1000 shots later... ;)

37/52 - Power (Whitby East Pier Lighthouse) by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

37 - Power: Literally battered by the sea this Lighthouse shows just how powerful the sea is - pretty cool texture I thought. Just to add a bit more strength to the theme, there's a Solar Power Panel on the top too. Ha. :LOL:

38/52 - Solitude (The Whitby Piers) by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

38 - Solitude: Hopefully a bit less explanation required for this one! Managed to capture this small yacht heading out to see - slap bang between the two piers at Whitby. Nothing else was visable out there - very calm sea, with only this guy on it!

Still got Sweet to shoot, but that should be up over the weekend! :)

Hi Matt

Really like the shot for power, it does indeed show the power of the sea, sandstone perhaps not the best material for building a lighthouse, nice colour and quirky angle (y)

Solitude on theme but not sure on the selective colour it might have worked better with just the sails picked out the red and green objects look a little strange

Hi Matt,
Bit of a catchup for me, sorry :(
There's quite a few I have missed but some of the standout images for me are Mono, very clever use of pp it has a depth to it, very clever good work.

Connection, another standout image, your pp skills are way beyond what I could do, I am envious of that :)

Solitude, not sure if it was deliberate, but the symmetry works with the scene with the boat central and the shipping markers either side. Maybe just a little off the bottom to make the horizon less central?

I am unsure of the SC in this one though, maybe just the sail :thinking:

Good work all round though (y)

Hi, Power, now this really shows what a photograph taken in good light should look like. Lovely blue sky and really warm oranges :clap:

Solitude, yup, gotta agree with others, my eyes are racing around from one colour to the next. I feel it would have been much more subtle to have just the sail or the RH pier thingymabob :D

Cheers.

Hi Matt

Solitude....love it , nicely symmetrical , a few splashes of color hmmmm...love it :clap: maybe changing the colors to all the same would work :thinking:

Power...super shot , great texture ,, great color & a jaunty angle all work really well.....a good day with the camera for sure :clap:

Echo the other comments on Power, lovely light giving you great colours and the touch of wispy coluds are the icing on the cake for me.

Solitude, I like the composition, and the scale of the small boat, But would maybe crop a bit off the bottom, and I do like SC, but can;t really see it working here. A B&W conversion with a green filter makes the markers different shades of grey and work much better for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it! :)

I've been away but have managed to take lots of photos during my trip, but that said I have fallen a bit behind again! None of the photos I took could be twisted into the 'Sweet' theme - so here's my shot for Sweet:

39/52 - Sweet by whatmattdoes, on Flickr

Thats really good timing - very well done :)

Back