World Cup 2018

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Surprised a thread on this had not been created!

My excitement is at high level!!! Looking forward to umpteen games of football to watch and of course supporting England on their way to victory! Ok, well that is unlikely but I have not felt this confident for years. Have been impressed with Southgate's vision, tactics and the players he has picked (in the main). We are a young squad with little to lose so think we will make a good go of it. Quarters at least, then all it takes is a bit of luck v Germany or Brazil....

I cant see further than Germany though! Best keeper in the world, good in all areas, and with Thomas Muller they have someone who just seems to score. I think Uruguay will be the dark horses, Cavani and Suarez at 25/1 are good bets for to scorer, so too Lewandowski at 33/1.

Me too. I would have created one but I guessed there probably wasn't much interest. I hope I'm wrong.

We are a young squad with little to lose so think we will make a good go of it. Quarters at least, then all it takes is a bit of luck v Germany or Brazil....
Quarter finals would be pretty much a par-to-decent result. Historically, England have usually been somewhere between about 6th and 14th in the world rankings, and we've gone out at the quarter-final stage more often than any other.

upload_2018-6-14_15-57-8.png

I'm looking forward to this one, the timing of the matches falls in really well with my work shifts so will get to see loads of games!

Don't expect too much from England but I'm glad there's plenty of youth in the squad as I see some potential for the next couple of tournaments.

Just hoping Southgate lets them off the leash a little rather than the scripted football we've had all too often in the past

Every time Salman Alfaraj gets the ball it sounds like they are talking about the Great Gammon.

Innit!

My excitement is at high level!!! Looking forward to umpteen games of football to watch and of course supporting England on their way to victory! Ok, well that is unlikely but I have not felt this confident for years. Have been impressed with Southgate's vision, tactics and the players he has picked (in the main). We are a young squad with little to lose so think we will make a good go of it. Quarters at least, then all it takes is a bit of luck v Germany or Brazil....

I cant see further than Germany though! Best keeper in the world, good in all areas, and with Thomas Muller they have someone who just seems to score. I think Uruguay will be the dark horses, Cavani and Suarez at 25/1 are good bets for to scorer, so too Lewandowski at 33/1.

Good start by Russia. Let’s hope the rest of the games live up to that standard.

England for the quarters would be good, France to win are my bet.

That was the best start to a World Cup I can remember (I remember 1966) so long may it continue.

I didn't see the Russia vs Saudi Arabia match, so I don't know how this happened, but it can't be often that a team has 61% possession and loses 5-0!

I didn't see the Russia vs Saudi Arabia match, so I don't know how this happened, but it can't be often that a team has 61% possession and loses 5-0!

Pretty, intricate passing then losing the ball in silly areas. "Tikka takka" football may look nice when played by the Spanish, but they usually score at the end of the move.

The Russian manager looked increasingly relieved as the goals went in.
Could almost hear him thinking "really didn't fancy Siberia at Christmas time"

Hope Belgian win it, make a nice change from the usual suspects, certainly got the players and the manager is pleasant too.

The Russian manager looked increasingly relieved as the goals went in.
Could almost hear him thinking "really didn't fancy Siberia at Christmas time"

Hope Belgian win it, make a nice change from the usual suspects, certainly got the players and the manager is pleasant too.

They are a very good outside bet IMO, they are 10/1 with the bookies. Portugal are 25/1.

They are a very good outside bet IMO, they are 10/1 with the bookies. Portugal are 25/1.

I was in Belgium last week and expectations are quite high of the "Red Devils", they are not that keen on Roberto Martinez.
Something to do with a player who wasn't included in the squad, Thierry Henry is the assistant coach.
Not impossible if they get it together, decent throughout the team and good keeper too.

I'm in Paris when if we made it to the Q/F would be playing, France are also playing so don't think anywhere would be showing the England game
(don't suppose I will need to concern myself with that anyway)

Well that Spain v Portugal match was superb, if there is a better game this tournament just hope I see it.

Play a different game to our old plodders, dread to think what Spain could do to the likes of Stones and co

Only seen the Spain v Portugal game so far, and how brilliant was that?

It looks like 3 games on the iPad tomorrow, I have a wedding to process,

Only seen the Spain v Portugal game so far, and how brilliant was that?

It looks like 3 games on the iPad tomorrow, I have a wedding to process,

You didn't miss much with the other two matches today, in fact hardly anything apart from a blinding own goal

Superb game, Ronaldo is keeping Portugal in the hunt, he was the man of the match for me, because without him, Spain would have "tikka takkad" it.
What a goal by Spain's Nacho - I will watch that over and over again.

I didn't think the France penalty should have been given, for me, he got a touch on the ball. Result, 1 penalty and player booked.

At the other end, deliberate handball, Results, 1 penalty, no booking. I'm confused.

I hope those messi fanboys were watching just now. How some people think he is better than pele or maradona is crazy. He is not even the best at the moment. Good player, yes, but massively overrated.

I hope those messi fanboys were watching just now. How some people think he is better than pele or maradona is crazy. He is not even the best at the moment. Good player, yes, but massively overrated.

Glad he missed the penalty, Iceland deserved something from the game.

in crete for a month at the house, local town sisi fighting for the business all been out bought a massive tv and hooky feeds.

I'm not normally a betting person, but saw an advert on TV from a well known betting shop offering odds on any made up world Cup bet. I called in earlier to see about putting a fiver on England winning the world Cup by beating Germany in a penalty shoot out. After making a phone call to someone they wouldn't take the bet, has anyone any idea why that would be?

I'm not normally a betting person, but saw an advert on TV from a well known betting shop offering odds on any made up world Cup bet. I called in earlier to see about putting a fiver on England winning the world Cup by beating Germany in a penalty shoot out. After making a phone call to someone they wouldn't take the bet, has anyone any idea why that would be?

Because we can't meet germany in the final. Will play them in the semi or quarter depending on games go.

According to this chart I found, if we come first in group G and Germany come first in group F, we can play them in the final but at the same time, if you really never want to see your £5 again, just flush it down the toilet [emoji3]IMG_5520.jpg

Must admit Jon my chart appears to show its possible too. If it is possible why would they not take the bet???

Maybe they class it as daylight robbery but in all seriousness I don’t know, maybe the odds are too specific and go over a certain threshold which means even a £1 bet would pay out too much ‍♂️

Might have saved you money, on that performance Germany will struggle to qualify from a tough group.
Could have been a lot worse if Mexico had been better with their final pass, still a great victory though.

Just what is about Neymar. Just don’t get what all the fuss is about with him at all.

I remember Germany losing to Algeria in the first match of the 82 World Cup
That was the year they played (passed the ball to each other for 90 mins) the shameful draw with Austria when they both needed a point
Its not inconceivable that Mexico and Sweden could go into the last match also both needing a point, wouldn't that be poetic justice

That was also the year of Schumachers assault on Battiston, even now I remember that incident, referee didn't even give a free kick.
Do that in the street and it would more than likely end in a jail sentence, unbelievable and so glad Italy beat them in the final

Me neither, spent most of the game on his arse!
but then so did Ronaldo and scored 3 goals, thats probably the difference.
There's a lot of falling over looking for free kicks etc so far. I thought the ref in the Brazil game was excellent in ignoring it

The teams which have impressed me so far - Portugal, Spain, Russia, Mexico and Iceland.

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Germany are all playing, or trying to play like Spain did eight years ago, and it isn't working. They won't be happy until one of their players actually dribbles the ball across the line. This is so frustrating, seeing the quality of the players and what they are doing. Germany looked as though they were playing in concrete boots, they were so sluggish, and it also looked as though they had never played as a team before. Both Neymar and Messi are not at the same standard as Ronaldo.

Back