Worried about my Ebay purchase!

Just trying to see it as he might - not suggesting you are dodgy at all. :)

Did they state a time that they expect payment to be made with-in in the listings.... ie paymment to be made within 3days of sale or anything like that?

Did they state a time that they expect payment to be made with-in in the listings.... ie paymment to be made within 3days of sale or anything like that?

When I won the auction it said pay now to receive the item in 2 days. Well had I paid I doubt very much this would have been the case.

When I won the auction it said pay now to receive the item in 2 days. Well had I paid I doubt very much this would have been the case.

Then I wouldn't worry about it so much then - as if they were then they would have asked for immediate payment (only upto £1000) or a payment time scale...

Leave it till tomorrow as likemany have said he may well be away, but if you have text him (by phone I'd imagine) like you've said then he may be busy or doesn't have his phone at hand due to work commitments...

It is hard hearing all this advice as were not in your shoes.. But do give the guy a chance at least till end of play tonight or tomorrow....

I bet the seller will be paranoid by now if he has read this thread!

be an ideal time for them to make contact if they are :LOL:

Maybe the seller is not so happy about it making under £1300 and with you not paying right away he could be looking for a way out of the deal.

if i get no response from an ebayer i look to see if they have any other items for sale and get a friend to message them a question about that item
they are so stupid they normally email back straight away

I would just pay, if it turns out dodge then you claim back via PPal, you have nothing to lost but a potential camera bargain, you have agreed to purchase the item, keep up your end of the deal and you should have no worries.

Once when I paid for an item that didn't turn up I got the money back through paypal, BUT they charged me a fee for getting it back so I was a little out of pocket. Therefore I'm a little wary to do this if I get charged a percentage of such a high value item.

I bought something for £600 on ebay and emailed the seller to ask about delivery times as I was going away. I got no reply to that or subsequent emails and was really worried. Twelve days later, just as I was about to open a PayPal dispute, the item turned up and was perfect.

I waited a month for feedback on my payment then emailed the seller and informed him that I would give negative feedback for lack of communication unless he either gave me feedback or an explanation. No reply so I gave him Neg feedback stressing that the item itself was OK. Three months later he replied to the feedback expressing shock horror:)

I suppose some people just don't answer emails:shrug:

I found with some sellers they dont really care if they get -ve FB as most of the time the +ive's out way them... As for a private seller like myself I want to keep my 100% clean record as I class myself in the cat of a descent ebayer (y) - I now only leave FB for those who leave it for me (unless the seller has automated FB once FB is left for them)

Thought i'd update for anyone who may be interested.

I phoned the seller today and it turns out he is in Ireland attending a wedding and he said he was leaving the item with a friend at home to sort out delivery etc.

Once I finished talking with him I paid via paypal using my credit card. once I checked the paypal transaction I noticed the paypal address was a different name to that of the seller....heart in mouth time I phoned the seller back, expecting him not to answer.

Anyway he did answer and informed me that paypal address was his wife's before they were married. and assured me he was contacting his friend to get him to post the item via city link.

He seemed friendly and genuine on the phone so I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt and just see if the camera turns up.

Bet you feel a lot happier now..... ;)

if he has stated that the AF service thingy had been done, and you subsequently find it hasn't (via the serial number), you also are covered under both the distance selling regulations, and the ebay buyer protection.

That's only true if it was a Buy it Now purchase, as the DSR doesn't apply to auctions......

I wouldn't pay until he responds, having said that these days Ebay and paypal are working alot better together. For item of such high value the money you transfer to Paypal when paying for a won item on Ebay gets held by paypal until you leave positive feedback stating you are happy, the seller can't use the money. This happened to me when selling my Xbox, I had the cash in my paypal but it was "pending" I only got access when the buyer left positive feedback.

This is great for the buyer but I can see some buyers abusing it. Like others have said you have no need to worry as you aint paid anything yet.

Hi Donki

But I have paid. I used my credit card via paypal. I managed to get in touch with him and he says he is going to sort it this saturday. I'm going to phone him again at the weekend and hopefully get a tracking number from him for the city link delivery he is promising.

This week is dragging soooooooo looooonnnnnnnnggggggg:|

I have read all the posts on this thread and would hope that you never buy any of my items on ebay!

Basically, you won an item at an excellent price, couldn't pay for it, emailed the seller for info. and when he didn't reply, you panicked!

The seller had made arrangements to post the item to you when he has been paid, so be a good chap and wait for your cheap Mk111 to arrive.

I'm going to phone him again at the weekend and hopefully get a tracking number from him for the city link delivery he is promising.

TBH RedMonkee you sound like a buyer I'd really hope I'd never encounter on Ebay. Just read all your posts back and ask "are you being reasonable here?"

TBH RedMonkee you sound like a buyer I'd really hope I'd never encounter on Ebay. Just read all your posts back and ask "are you being reasonable here?"

Not quite sure where you are coming from here m8:thinking:

I think I am being perfectly reasonable. When I sell something on ebay I email the person within a couple of hours of the item ending congratulating them etc, to start off good communications. Once they pay I then email them saying thanks and give them a tracking number once I have posted the item.

This is good customer service.

This seller refused to put on his auction he would be out of the country at the time the auction would end. Therefore if a buyer wanted this item quickly that was never going to happen. Also not to get an email from him for 5 days Is I think a little bit slack for something costing as much as this.

I'd hate to think how you sell things on ebay:shrug:

Maybe they don't have internet in Ireland.

In my humble, honest opinion, I think you sound rather demanding. Essentially, you have come onto a public forum, without waiting a reasonable amount of time PLUS the fact that YOU held off on your end of the deal, and called him a scammer. You might not have done so directly but you did a good job of projecting your implied meaning.

Good customer service is not part of an ebay deal. Or any deal for that matter. Up till the time you had first posted this thread, the only party to have not completed his part of the deal was the buyer not having paid. Not that that was wrong or anything, my point is no one had been wrong at that stage, so for you to imply otherwise was not very, well, nice.

Just my opinion, mind!

Maybe they don't have internet in Ireland.

In my humble, honest opinion, I think you sound rather demanding. Essentially, you have come onto a public forum, without waiting a reasonable amount of time PLUS the fact that YOU held off on your end of the deal, and called him a scammer. You might not have done so directly but you did a good job of projecting your implied meaning.

Good customer service is not part of an ebay deal. Or any deal for that matter. Up till the time you had first posted this thread, the only party to have not completed his part of the deal was the buyer not having paid. Not that that was wrong or anything, my point is no one had been wrong at that stage, so for you to imply otherwise was not very, well, nice.

Just my opinion, mind!

I see your point. Maybe I was a little rash:nuts:

I think I am being perfectly reasonable. When I sell something on ebay I email the person within a couple of hours of the item ending congratulating them etc, to start off good communications. Once they pay I then email them saying thanks and give them a tracking number once I have posted the item.
ting as much as this.
I don't sell on ebay but as a buyer the last 5 or 6 items I have bought off ebay I have never received any communication from the seller. I paid for all items immediately by paypal and just waited for them to turn up. To be honest I'm not really that interested in having a happy, friendly note off a seller - I just want the item not a communication trail. A lot of sellers are probably too busy to email and I'd prefer them to spend the time packing my nice purchase rather than wasting time emailing me. I think there are some new icons on the account page where you can see if the seller has left feedback or dispatched the parcel.

So my point is - not everyone sells the same way.

Last edited:
I paid for all items immediately by paypal and just waited for them to turn up.

Same here. That works for me.
Only once I didn't, and thankfully that was the time it turned out to be a big scam - they guy had posted no less than 6 auctions, each for 10 phones at £300 each. He was set to make £18k if everyone paid. I smelled a rat and didn't pay. Everyone else got scammed! Ebay is great when it works with trustworthy sellers and buyers, but be careful! Trust your instincts.

Just a quick update for those of you that may be interested.

....well I'm still to receive my camera:|

I paid for it last wednesday and he said he was going to sort it all out last saturday. Anyway i'm yet to receive an email saying it has been posted or anything for that matter.....suppose I keep waiting.

Like some of you say i'm probably being paranoid and it will turn up:thinking:

Just a quick update for those of you that may be interested.

....well I'm still to receive my camera:|

I paid for it last wednesday and he said he was going to sort it all out last saturday. Anyway i'm yet to receive an email saying it has been posted or anything for that matter.....suppose I keep waiting.

Like some of you say i'm probably being paranoid and it will turn up:thinking:

Hes probably making you wait for your camera just like you made him wait for his money.

Any news yet? :)

Lisa

Hi Lisa

He contacted me on tuesday, saying he was posting it on Wednesday via city link. He said he was going to text me the tracking number!

Well i'm still waiting for a tracking number and courier to show up with the camera:|.

This is the longest i've ever had to wait for a delivery on ebay. I've had things come from Hong kong much quicker. So glad I kept hold of my 7D.

Apparently they need to confirm their paypal account at their end....

Why would a seller need to confirm their paypal account.. Didn't they have one in the first place then? This gets stranger & stranger by the day.....

sounds fishy to me. is he a new seller?

If he is a new new new seller then he wouldn't get the funds until +ve feedback has been left by the buyer (happened to my OH).. So in a way its a bit of a god send on RM really...

Back