Worried about my Ebay purchase!

Got a link to the original auction?

Just wondered if anyone here had dealt with them before and could put your mind at ease

Apparently the guy selling the camera used his wife's ebay account.

Now the thing is the ebay account and the paypal account were under here maiden name. The couple have since got married and that is why they are having trouble with Paypal, as it doesn't match the name on the bank account.

Therefore they need to verify the account before the money can be paid into their bank account.

Trig, are you saying that funds won't clear for them until I have left feedback?

By the way they have 46 100% feedback

PayPal will inform them that the payment is in their coffers, and to send the item to the buyer, when you are satisfied with the item, you leave feedback and PayPal release the funds. Happens quite a lot, so don't worry!

BUT whatever you do, DO NOT LEAVE FEEDBACK UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE GOODS!!

I'm sure it will be OK! (y)

Apparently the guy selling the camera used his wife's ebay account.

Now the thing is the ebay account and the paypal account were under here maiden name. The couple have since got married and that is why they are having trouble with Paypal, as it doesn't match the name on the bank account.

Therefore they need to verify the account before the money can be paid into their bank account.

I may be picking up on the wrong thing here, but they have to verify their bank account to be able to withdraw from Paypal to their bank, but if the moniey is in Paypal, the money is there and they should be sending it to you, there is no need to verify their bank account. I would contact Paypal and see if they can offer any advice ?

The other thing I've picked up on is he was using city link and posting to you and going to let you know the tracking number, now he is having to verify his bank account before he can send it - I would have thought he would have known this already, why now and why is this stopping him posting it when you have been promised on several occasions he was organising it.

Make sure you keep all the e-mail correspondence and I'd be contacting e-bay and Paypal to seek advice.

Sorry your having a time of it, I really hope it works out (y)

Last edited:
Trig, are you saying that funds won't clear for them until I have left feedback?

By the way they have 46 100% feedback

Its only if they have started to sell... I cant quite remember how long it is but my partner had the same thing, she sold on ebay for the first time & had to wait till feedback was left in order for the funds to clear/add to her account... She's broughtb stuff before & had feedback but I think its just the 1st time you start selling...

Andy I have had no email correspondence from him other than the one saying he would sort it on the saturday when he got back from Ireland. All other correspondence has been by phone.

I see your point about the paypal. As far as I was aware once the money has left my paypal then he has it whether its in his paypal or bank account.

Think i'll try ring them again

Andy I have had no email correspondence from him other than the one saying he would sort it on the saturday when he got back from Ireland. All other correspondence has been by phone.

I see your point about the paypal. As far as I was aware once the money has left my paypal then he has it whether its in his paypal or bank account.

Think i'll try ring them again

Absolutely and try to find out why it wasn't posted out over weekend as initially promised, then why not tuesday / wednesday.

Yes once the money leaves your paypal, it's with their paypal account (as far as I know) so no reason why it couldn't have been posted out.

Good luck mate (y)

Yes once the money leaves your paypal, it's with their paypal account

Yes its instant.... The only thing I can suggest is that maybe they are waiting for the funds to be transfered from paypal to a bank account which can take upto 5days... Then maybe they are hoping that you wont put a claim in and then the funds are frozen till any resolution has been resolved...

Not that there is/would be....

The other thing is to have a look at the postage & payment part of the listing and see how long they take to dispatch once payments been made/cleared...

It usually says something like "Will usually dispatch within 1 working days of receiving cleared payment."

Think there is a limit on how much you can send/receive without being verified, could well be the problem especially as its for a fairly large sum

Down to the usual money laundering restrictions that affect most financial dealings these days

Sure it will all work out ok

Things like this make me wonder why people use ebay and paypal for high value items as there are so many scammers out there. Rarely do you make significant savings, often something that may be £1000 can be bought from a reputable shop for less than £50 more or from places like here for the same. Was the camera much cheaper than you could have got here?

Think there is a limit on how much you can send/receive without being verified, could well be the problem especially as its for a fairly large sum

Down to the usual money laundering restrictions that affect most financial dealings these days

Sure it will all work out ok

Are you thinking of if they have reached their paypal limit for the year?

As I have had this in the past - when you have reached a set limit of £'s per year set by paypal - then you wait for them to send something and then you verify it & then paypal lift the restriction..

Cant quite put my finger on exactley what it is that they send... Is that what your thinking of? (hope I explained it, hard to put into words - prob coz QI is on at the mo :LOL:)

Things like this make me wonder why people use ebay and paypal for high value items as there are so many scammers out there. Rarely do you make significant savings, often something that may be £1000 can be bought from a reputable shop for less than £50 more or from places like here for the same.

:thinking: I have often wondered that as well...

Just phoned Ebay.

They advised me to contact the seller by email and give them 24 hours to respond. I have done this as well as left a message on their answer phone.

Ebay basically said that Paypal will hold the funds until I receive the camera and leave positive feedback. So I have told the seller that this will only sort itself out once I receive the item and am happy with it.

Ebay said if they don't respond to my email that I should open an official dispute with them, this is something I am trying my best to avoid as I really do want this camera.

Can I just now say that all those people who think I am over parranoid and an unreasonable Ebayer I think you were a little out of order:thumbsdown:

p.s thanks to all you guys that have helped me so far with this. It's your advice that made me phone Ebay. I swear all I have thought about over the last couple of weeks has been this transaction.

By the way for those of you who haven't used Ebay, this is NOT the norm, and I wholeheartedly recommend people to use their site (y)

Just phoned Ebay.
Ebay basically said that Paypal will hold the funds until I receive the camera and leave positive feedback.

That prob does mean that they have just started to sell items then.. On their feedback page have they had any feedback from buyers??

Are you thinking of if they have reached their paypal limit for the year?

As I have had this in the past - when you have reached a set limit of £'s per year set by paypal - then you wait for them to send something and then you verify it & then paypal lift the restriction..

Cant quite put my finger on exactley what it is that they send... Is that what your thinking of? (hope I explained it, hard to put into words - prob coz QI is on at the mo )

That's what i meant yes, think you send them a phone number and they ring with a code you have to input online, something like that anyway

Could well be the problem in this case, think the limit is fairly low

That's what i meant yes, think you send them a phone number and they ring with a code you have to input online, something like that anyway

Could well be the problem in this case, think the limit is fairly low

The seller did mention something about a limit. But that doesn't change the fact that the money ias already in their paypal account, so the item should have been with me by now.

Also on their auction they stated 2 day shipping by courier!!!

The seller did mention something about a limit. But that doesn't change the fact that the money ias already in their paypal account, so the item should have been with me by now.

Also on their auction they stated 2 day shipping by courier!!!

It may be in their account but it will be on a "tempory hold" meaning that paypal have their hands on it so till you give feedback on the item in question they cant get their hands on it... They can still buy stuff but cant use the funds of "your" sale to buy stuff..

hope that is understandable... Its just a safe guard... If all falls thru then paypal should refund you your monies... They cant touch your monies that you have paid to them till all has been satisfied - by you..

Last edited:
Have you talked to Paypal re this, 0845 355 3229. they should be able to tell you the payment status.

Just phoned Ebay.

They advised me to contact the seller by email and give them 24 hours to respond. I have done this as well as left a message on their answer phone.

Ebay basically said that Paypal will hold the funds until I receive the camera and leave positive feedback. So I have told the seller that this will only sort itself out once I receive the item and am happy with it.

Ebay said if they don't respond to my email that I should open an official dispute with them, this is something I am trying my best to avoid as I really do want this camera.

Glad you got some help and piece of mind (y)

Hope it all works itself out for you (y)

Have the rules changed on pay pal or something? I've never had this hassle of waiting till the buyer leaves positive feedback till the funds were released to the seller.

I bought a £1000 lens last year and paid by pay pal and it went through immediately.

I can't understand what's happening. Very strange.

Lisa

Have the rules changed on pay pal or something? I've never had this hassle of waiting till the buyer leaves positive feedback till the funds were released to the seller.

I bought a £1000 lens last year and paid by pay pal and it went through immediately.

I can't understand what's happening. Very strange.

Lisa

Its for new (private) sellers...

:woot:

++++++UPDATE++++++

Finally I have a tracking number:clap:

according to City Link it should arrive at my workplace tomorrow(y)

wwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeee:bonk::bonk::bonk:

I wouldnt hold your breath with CityLink, not the best couriers INMHO.
Then again PDP arent exactly reliable.
Hope it gets delivered though.

Matt

I wouldnt hold your breath with CityLink, not the best couriers...

Agree there... I had a tracking number from these, stated that it was going to be delivered on my birthday 12/04 - checked it that day & it hadn't even left the hub... Checked the next day 13/04 & was due for delivery which it did arrive..

When you do check it in the morning make sure it says "out for delivery" then get all happy that its gonna turn up ;)

Mmmmm will this thread make 5 pages??

Excellent news, hope it arrives in next day or so and everythings okay with it. :clap::clap::clap:

Whats it say with the tracking info... no doubt it will say "due for delivery on 20th April 2010 between 0700-1730"....

best bet check it 1st thing inthe morning & it will say if its out for delivery or not...

I'd check it again in the mornin... That way you'd be 100% certain for delivery then...

Cheers all you guys. i do hope this post doesn't make 5 pages lol as that can only mean bad news:thinking:

I feel like a kid on christmas eve now, sure hope it turns up ok tomorrow

I'm........

....sure......

....we......

....can.....

Back