Would you "pap" someone?

Edit My Images
Yes
I was on holiday recently and staying nearby was a rather well known public figure.

I did wonder about snapping them and if the images would be wanted by the media and their worth.

Anyway I decided better of it, due to where we were staying it was pretty obvious that seclusion was part of their holiday plans!

So, would you "pap" a celeb?

yes, especially if you could get a good shot that no one else is likely to get, which is more likely in a secluded location. Not that a shot i took would be good enough to sell lol

Most likely. Even just for personal sake rather than sales.

Ok, well I'll buck the trend and say 'no'. Really makes me cringe I'm afraid.

I wouldn't humor these 'celebrities'.

Why not? They don't complain when they are seeking publicity, so you may as well try your luck.

More than likely i would, and im surprised no one has asked the op who it was he saw :D
So come on spill, who was it then?

I guess it depends.

If they were out and about, absolutely.

If, however, they were somewhere that clearly shows they wish privacy then no.

Yes I would, and have. The lady I togger spotted isn't A list but is on the telly, one of the judges from great British menu :) pru :)

It depends who it was I think.

Someone really famous like *** Mendes, yes.

Someone like Katie Price, I would be asking to move hotel. And for a sniper rifle.

Yes - without a doubt.

I do an honest job and have a family of 5 to keep. If I was lucky enough to make a few quid off snapping an overpaid celeb in 'unfortunate' circumstances then so be it.

I don't think I would no, if I was out doing street photography and I saw someone famous I would ask permission if they were not with children.

The idea makes me deeply uncomfortable as my uncle was the best friend of one of the old radio Caroline/radio 1 DJs (he actually introduced my parents to each other) and we all knew him as just a normal, funny, if sometimes cranky bloke.

Another reason would be that most of the celebrity shots you see in Heat or the tabloids just aren't very nice photographs. A woman walking round tescos with no make up on is just boring to me, sure you may make a bit of money but you are left with the fear that if anyone does remember your name it will always be for the thing you are least proud of doing.

Have to admit I did 'pap' a particluar dancer from Strictly Come Dancing not so long ago, after an evening show. Nothing bad about it and she was happy to have me directly in front of her taking photos.

However, upon returning home and viewing said photos I realised just how good the makeup department must be as she turned out much less prettier than I had always imagined. Never mind though, no harm done.

if there would be demand commercially, hell yes.

if not, couldn't give a toss...

If one good pic puts me in a D700 and a set of lenses, I'm all for it! Just never seen anyone famous before though...

Does anyone actually know what sort of money you are likely to get for said photo I know it depends on who it is but do the tabloids just hand out buckets of cash too anyone that happens to be in the right place at the right time with a camera ?

i have and felt uncofortable about doing it but i had a son screaming at me to take the picture. it was just for us and wouldn't be worth anything to anyone else. it was a well known rugby player.

I don't think I would no, if I was out doing street photography and I saw someone famous I would ask permission if they were not with children.

The idea makes me deeply uncomfortable as my uncle was the best friend of one of the old radio Caroline/radio 1 DJs (he actually introduced my parents to each other) and we all knew him as just a normal, funny, if sometimes cranky bloke.

Another reason would be that most of the celebrity shots you see in Heat or the tabloids just aren't very nice photographs. A woman walking round tescos with no make up on is just boring to me, sure you may make a bit of money but you are left with the fear that if anyone does remember your name it will always be for the thing you are least proud of doing.

So what? You'd take pictures of the public fine, but if a celeb comes up, you'd ask them? Or do you ask everyone who's in your photos?

I'd certainly snap them without a doubt and for the same reasons as suggested above - gotta be worth trying to make a few quid from!

Someone like Katie Price, I would be asking to move hotel. And for a sniper rifle.

tough one that, she's got two bulletproof bags attached to her chest...

The question makes me distinctly uncomfortable. I'm not a pap, it's not my job, therefore not my place to be pushing myself forward to take the picture and make money from it. Secondly, I sometimes feel sorry for 'celebs' that are hounded by paps and make their lives a misery. (I always think of Diana in this instance :() Just because one is famous for doing something doesn't mean they deliberately court publicity. Those above who say they most definitely would, have different morals from me. I'm not saying mine are better, just different. If it looked like the celeb was courting publicity by act or demeanour on the other hand, then I'd have no hesitation.

Last edited:
I didn't take any pictures because where we stayed was isolated to say the least, the sort of place you go to get away from everything.

It felt a bit intrusive to be honest when I thought about doing it.

So what? You'd take pictures of the public fine, but if a celeb comes up, you'd ask them? Or do you ask everyone who's in your photos?

I'm not going to sell a picture of a member of the public because of who they are. You don't know if a member of the public who doesn't see you taking the shot would mind or not but it's a fair bet that the celeb would, and the sort of celebrity that doesn't mind probably isn't worth my time.

My Karma isn't great as it is and I'm not good with being yelled at or having a bodyguard smash my camera tbh.

To be honest, if I was on holiday in some remote location and walked round a corner to see Gordon Brown gently rubbing sun cream into camerons back, I would chuck on the longest lens I had and spend the rest of my life living on my own private island :D

Back