weekly WyX's 2013 Photo52

Hi ya

can't really add to whats been said already...strong colors that really pop , loosely on theme....:)

Thanks all. unfortunately I don't think the thin DoF had work as well as I hoped. Not sure how to improve on that theme with the film boxset prop to be honest :(

Only post processing has been down is up saturation and contrast slightly to get the text pop more than it looked on the boxset.

Week 9 Juxtaposition

Really had a difficult one, not sure how to tackle this. So just went with a simple camera gear shot.

52 - 9 - Juxtaposition by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Fallen behind last week. But I've already got this week's theme shot on Mother's day. So won't fall behind this week.

works well for me, nice simple composition, the blacks are nice and black, the red has the right amount of pop. The background is simple, but has a bit of texture.

Only thing is, is the lens at the right height to join the body? Looks like the body could come up a few mm to complete the illusion, or possibly body a few mm left? Or is it an optical illusion?

Only thing is, is the lens at the right height to join the body? Looks like the body could come up a few mm to complete the illusion, or possibly body a few mm left? Or is it an optical illusion?

Well spotted! I wouldn't have seen that!

Nice idea and good on theme for me.

Thanks for the feedback all. Was an interesting theme this one.

No, the lens isn't at the right height to join the body. Also the size are different. You are right, the body should be raised slightly and moved to the right.

Hi, there, Letter in on theme but doesn't really grab me. The envelope appears over exposed and the BG is a tad distracting.

Double digits indeed (y)

Cheers.

Hum, thanks for the feedback, what if I edit like this:

_MG_7932_zps8d75a026.jpg

Pulled back exposure slightly, and reduced highlight. Also re-cropped slightly.

Hi, there, good go with the edit but you've lost some of the vibrancy of the colours.

This project is about learning and FB is intended to help us all improve.

Cheers.

Great idea, agree with existing comments but also cropped too close to the right side in my opinion, distracting glare to the left and a distracting BG. Sorry but just trying to be honest. See you next week's theme (y)

hi ya

nice take on theme ,bit of texture in the bg works nicely ,sharp focus :)

Letter....#1 for me ,lovely strong color in the card & nicely angled , I don't mind the foreground as the colors seem to compliment the card :) BG is a tad distracting though

Hi, there, good go with the edit but you've lost some of the vibrancy of the colours.

This project is about learning and FB is intended to help us all improve.

Cheers.

Indeed, the project is about learning from feedback. Thanks for coming back and providing addition feedback.

Dialling down exposure will also dial down the card, I've tried tweaking vibrance slider but felt the colours looked wrong, way too much. :shrug:

Great idea, agree with existing comments but also cropped too close to the right side in my opinion, distracting glare to the left and a distracting BG. Sorry but just trying to be honest. See you next week's theme (y)

Thanks for your feedback, unfortunately it was a quick jobbie at my parent's house, tried to blur out background using a 85mm f1.8, didn't look like it had done enough.

Wonder if I used a wall as background instead? it won't be as blurred out, but it will be more even across the frame.

I don't think the overexposure of the envelope would have others me so much if the surface on which is was resting was darker; then the envelope would have been a good focal point to draw the eye in and allow it to move up to the vibrant colours of the card.

Thanks for the interesting perspective. :)

hi ya

nice take on theme ,bit of texture in the bg works nicely ,sharp focus :)

Letter....#1 for me ,lovely strong color in the card & nicely angled , I don't mind the foreground as the colors seem to compliment the card :) BG is a tad distracting though

Again, it's really interesting some people prefer the white letter while others prefer to be able to perceived details. Thanks for your feedback.

Week 11: Electric

Being electronic engineer, Electric to me is printed circuit boards and bits inside computer. So I went looking for interesting shots inside my gaming desktop PC. Found this power button on the fancy motherboard, really liked the light it generates.

Also the average shot of a PCB, which is quite boring.

Entry:

52 - 11 - Electric by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Bonus:

52 - 11 - Electric (2) by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Also, first go with extension tubes.

Liking both of these Wuyan, nice composition in the first, perfect for the theme, crying POWER out loud. Great colours. Simnple shot working really well.

Great macro too - decent DOF, but doesn;t seem to have a single component completely in focus to give a focal point to the shot?? Again good colours too with the blue and oranges..

Catching up:

Week 12: Direction

Was a busy week this one, the trip to Paris had a lot of photo ops, unfortunately I forgot about the weekly theme, so searching through my collection, these two fits the bill.

Tour Eiffel by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Busy streets of Paris by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Week 13: Tacky

This is a tricky one. I instantly thought about cheap knock offs. Unfortunately I didn't have any around the house that is visibly tacky, I had to go window hunting on the local high street.

52 - 13 - Tacky by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Week 14: Value (?)

Been wanting to sell some old film gear found in my parent's house. Does 135 format films still have any value?

52 - 14 - Value? by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Hi there :wave:

Electric...#1 for me..love the blueness , sharp & good focus (y)

Direction.....that's a lovely shot of the Eiffel Tower , not seen the fountains before but right on theme (y)

Tacky.....kiddies shoes are ok but the awful paper butterfly thingy hits the spot for the theme...well spotted & well shot through glass I suspect

Value....almost a product type shot...couple of creases in the white cloth & a bit of a shadow but otherwise ok

try posting up in the Film section...someone there would probably be able to tell you if it's worth selling

Last edited:
Electric - great colours, the image really stands out.

Direction - really works well for the theme, shame the weather was so bland for you.

Tacky - fits the subject, but I think a close up of 1 shoe might have been better.

Value - not sure it fits the theme that well and the lighting needs some attention. The background is a bit grey and I'm not keen on the shadow across the box. Sorry, been a bit picky I know. :)

Thanks both for the kind comments.

Yes, the Tacky shot was shot through the glass. funny how both of you have different interpretation on the subject. I just thought both the shoes and the butterfly were tacky.

Value shot: Seems like I need to work on my product shooting skills. I used 1 flashgun inside a cheap light tent. The shadows came from the flashgun being outside on the right side of the tent. I'm not quite shot how to take such shot with 1 flashgun to be honest, may invest in a cheap one later.

Direction - original shot of the Tower - good pov to get the fountains in and pointing towards the tower

tacky - I would be happy with that for the theme, but think maybe lose the shoes top left and conentrate a bit more on the shoes around the butterfly

Value - not the best of connections to the theme but i like the colour - perhaps just a bit more attention to detail in the b/g and lighting

Greed - on theme. Mybe a lower pov to get more of the shopfronts in.

good catch up

Greed, yup on theme and well spotted. I'd prefer a different angle to all the bank/s were in the photograph.

Cheers.

Hi ya

right on theme , very sharp & good colors...maybe a slightly more head on angle ?

Thanks for your comments. so would a head-on angle be better, perhaps with people walking pass during busy times :thinking:

Really clever shot of the Tower, Wuyan :D

Tower? :cautious: oh, the Eiffel tower :)

Direction - original shot of the Tower - good pov to get the fountains in and pointing towards the tower

tacky - I would be happy with that for the theme, but think maybe lose the shoes top left and conentrate a bit more on the shoes around the butterfly

Value - not the best of connections to the theme but i like the colour - perhaps just a bit more attention to detail in the b/g and lighting

Greed - on theme. Mybe a lower pov to get more of the shopfronts in.

good catch up

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the product shot for Value needs more work, I've not done much product shots. better fill-in light, less shadow and iron the backdrop.

I love the Greed image, made me chuckle :)

Quite like the angle of your angle shot (y) perhaps it would have benefitted from a little fill flash? nice sky!

Rustic: well I think I can see what you were trying to do here (selective focus?) but I have to say the composition and subject do nothing for me (sorry).

Angle: Nice image, maybe having more flowers in focus?

Rustic: I like the textures in this.

I love the Greed image, made me chuckle :)

hehe, thanks.

Quite like the angle of your angle shot (y) perhaps it would have benefitted from a little fill flash? nice sky!

Rustic: well I think I can see what you were trying to do here (selective focus?) but I have to say the composition and subject do nothing for me (sorry).

Angles: Good point, I'll see if I can get a re-shoot in today/tomorrow while the weather is nice.

Rustic: selective focus wasn't actually what I tried to achieve, I just thought straight on is boring so chosen this shot taken at an angle.

Angle: Nice image, maybe having more flowers in focus?

Rustic: I like the textures in this.

Angles: Smaller F-stop and fill flash is on the cards for a re-shoot today/tomorrow. Thanks for your comment.

Rustic: thanks, that's exactly what I tried to achieve with this close-up shot.

Direction: the Eiffell Tower shot is very nice; at first I didn;t think it was on theme, but the fountain makes it so. Tacky is very, maybe even more so shot through glass! Value, yes, the "product shot" approach doesn't quite work here, and the composition isn't interesting enough otherwise. I had similar difficulty with a shot of a film.

(On your question: that's not a film in demand in the filmy section, and I suspect not as good (or no better than) the Agfa Vista 200 ISO colour film we're getting in Poundland these days. So yes, someone could use it, but with postage at £2.60 I'm not sure you'd get many takers.)

Greed: that's a shot of bits of two banks. I don't see the compositional elements that make it very interesting.

Angle: the theme connection is there, if not so obvious (better in the first). The sky colour and the flower are lovely; best shot on the page by a mile!

Rustic: I think I prefer your second one, which has more interest beyond just texture. Is this you getting your NDs out? I don't like the over-smooth milky effect, but I think this one works fine.

Back